Nursing major bad idea?

<p>So my sister applied to some schools such as University of Rhode Island and Quinnipiac and put as her first major NURSING, and then second ACCOUNTING.</p>

<p>She hasn't done too well in science in high school. Was this a bad idea? Will she get rejected now?</p>

<p>At University of Rhode Island she applied to two schools. First was the Nursing School and then the second was the Business Administration school. Was this a bad idea?</p>

<p>She's not even sure if she wants to do nursing. At Stonehill she put her major as Biology major and she hasn't done too well in science in high school.</p>

<p>How important is the MAJOR you put on your CommonApp supplements? Can you get screwed over big time?</p>

<p>My daughter applied to colleges last year as a Nursing major. She was told that it was harder to get accepted in to the Nursing program than some of the other majors at many schools, including Quinnipiac and URI. The nursing programs have limited enrollment.</p>

<p>If your sister is not sure about Nursing as a major, that could be refelected in her applications. Last year, the programs were very interested in students who really wanted Nursing.</p>

<p>Stonehill does not offer Nursing. If she really wants Nursing, she should limit applications to those schools that offer Nursing. </p>

<p>If she does want Nursing, it is very important to list that as a major. Many schools do not have transfer opportunities in to Nursing programs due to the popularity of the major at this time. If she is not accepted as a Nursing major as a freshman, this may limit her chances.</p>

<p>An interest and aptitude for science is usually a requisite for this career.</p>

<p>My only comment on this is that one of my good friends always hated science but wanted to be a nurse, and she succeeded and graduated from a quite rigorous program with high grades and everything.</p>

<p>In that situation, I’d apply to some colleges listing nursing as a major and some other colleges listing business as my first choice. That gives you time to decide and offers options.</p>

<p>In almost every college, it is much harder to be admitted to the RN program than to other majors.</p>

<p>Also, the curriculum of every nursing program I have seen involves lots and lots of science, particularly chemistry, biology and anatomy. They also say you should have physics in high school. In most BSN programs, there is not much room for electives.</p>

<p>I’ve actually heard the opposite for many nursing programs.
Schools like UPenn, michigan seem to have lower stats for nursing than their main liberal arts programs and (obviously) engineering.
I feel like what the schools are looking for are applicants that really want to go into nursing. Personally, my stats aren’t stellar, but I wrote my commonapp essay about what inspired me to want to go into the field, and it seems to have worked as I have yet to get rejected by a school…(fingers crossed for UVA!!!)</p>

<p>At U. Penn, it used to be much much easier to be admitted to nursing. However, their nursing admit rate has dramatically fallen - I think down to 20% from around 40%. That is still higher than the general pop., but still extremely selective. Moreover, 49% of Penn’s total freshman class this year was already filled with binding early decision. </p>

<p>At Georgetown, the nursing admit rate is very close to all of the other colleges, which is an average of 20%. Of course, at these schools, only great students apply.</p>

<p>I am not too enthusiastic about science. Didn’t do well in Biology and Chemistry in high school, but in college, I have, so far, received an “A” in Biology and a “B” in Chemistry 101 (I am taking Chem102 right now). The rest (Psychology, Sociology) I have received “A’s” in.</p>

<p>So, it is too soon to say for sure whether or not this Nursing major was a bad idea.</p>