NYIT - NYITCOM BS/DO Turnaround

@arh6859 Oh okk, yea makes sense. Does anyone know how many people make it into the program?

@medgirl2020 and others

There is a YouTube video series by Doctor Mike which seems to be popular. In one of the videos he mentioned he completed 7 year BSDO from NYIT and that about 80 kids entered the program and about 20 eventually made it. Of course his data is a bit outdated and is not official

Good luck

Yea, my friend who is in the program said that alot more people are generally accepted into the program than actually make it out. I believe some of the first year courses are weed out courses and that there aren’t enough seats in the medical school for everyone who was accepted. I think even though you are in the program, it is still very competitive.

Is there an interview for being accepted into the program ? Or do they make a decision just based on the Application material ?

Also since all of the Guaranteed BS/MD/DO programs have a similar 3.5GPA minimum, just trying to understand why this program is being thought about differently ? Is the course work seemingly much tougher ? Or are the number of seats available much lower than the intake number ?

Thanks

After the 3 years, they conduct an interview (assuming one maintains the 3.5 GPA), and for why it is being thought of differently, I really do not know (something I’ve been wondering myself).

Anyone here considering attending NYIT?

Hi @arh6859,
We are waiting for the decision, I heard campus is beautiful and very few kids bale out in the middle. Let me know if you know anything about the decision dates.

Appreciate any feedback about the program (NYIT BS/DO). My D got accepted for the 2020-2021 application cycle (for class starting fall 2021) trying to get info on the program and matriculating/graduating to NYITCOM.

Any current student willing to share some additional information about the program? D got accepted and is seriously considering joining DO school. How difficult is to maintain the GPA, class size, research opportunities etc? Is the interview a formality?

The reason why so many people end up leaving the program is because they couldn’t maintain the requirements, realized medicine was not right for them, or applied out of the program to better medical schools.

The interview is a formality. As long as you meet the 3.5 gpa requirement and get a MCAT score that is equal to or greater than the average scores for NYITCOM, you are guaranteed seat.

Although they do conduct an interview, it is a formality. As long as you don’t say anything crazy, you are guaranteed to get in.

When applying to the bs/do program at NYIT, there is no interview. They do conduct a medical school interview after the 3 years of undergrad, but it is a formality. The only real requirements are maintaining a 3.5 gpa in the program, and getting a MCAT score equal to or greater than NYITCOM’s average score.

The reason why most people leave the program is because they don’t maintain the gpa requirement, they realize medicine is not for them, or they do very well in the program and decide to apply out to other medical schools.
NYIT bs/do classes do not weed out students, and the bs/do students tend to help each other out.

There is a lot of helpful info here.

Do you get in?

Sorry, I meant:
Did you get into NYIT bs/do program?

Do you have any advice for high school freshmen who want to get into bs/do or bs/md programs?

Hey I got accepted in the program Can anyone tell me the acceptance rate for the program??

I have committed.

Is it difficult to maintain a 3.5 GPA?