NYTimes: Hampshire College faces $2.6m budget deficit this fall

@ALF Agree 100%. Hampshire won’t fail. Cannot understand people like @WISdad23. Apparently they don’t like the very values the flag is supposed to represent.

My understanding of the flag issue was that (in a nutshell) since they couldn’t decide whether to fly the flag at full staff or half staff, depending on whose death was being commemorated, they took down the flag temporarily to sort the situation. That sounded reasonable and not reactionary. They weren’t taking it down as a gesture of lack of respect, but as a gesture of respect pending further discussion, until all parties could figure out an agreed-upon policy.

@WISdad23 interesting – were you hoping that the University of Wisconsin-Madison would fail when former students bombed Sterling Hall in protest of the Vietnam War and KILLED someone?

Unfortunately some media outlets chose to claim that Hampshire ‘banned’ the American flag. For those unwilling to look further than the headlines, that is what they are reacting to.

I wonder if anyone has any insight into this latest incident. http://www.gazettenet.com/Hampshire-College-students-denies-assault-after-cultural-appropriation-allegation-8746869

Been awhile since I looked at this thread. There is a typo in my post where “final woes” should have been “financial woes.” I’m not rooting for Hampshire to fail be pleased that that they appear to face some consequences for extreme PC culture and a feckless administration.

Don’t know anything about the UW reference but if it was how it sounds, then yes, I hope UW suffered some adverse consequences for someone being killed. Would anyone hope for something different? Would one expect Hampshire alumni to increase donations realizing that their students are defiling the flag on national news or that their students are assaulting visiting basketball players for bogus “cultural expropriation?” I would hope not.

WISdad23, If you actually paid attention to this thread instead of reacting to headlines from your alt-right interwebz sources, you would have known that the financial deficit Hampshire experienced occurred prior to the American Flag issue and the allegations surrounding a basketball game. Furthermore, you would have known that the deficit resulted from lower enrollment caused by changes that Hampshire made to its admission criteria and processes, as opposed to any reaction from prospective students or donors regarding the College’s perceived political biases.

Also, you still need to work on your typo issues. The term in question is, “cultural appropriation”, NOT “cultural expropriation”. To appropriate means to make one’s own use of a style or appearance, while to expropriate means to take and deprive possession of something from another.