NYU Spring CS or UIUC Physics

I just got admitted off the NYU waitlist for spring, class of 2027, but I already committed to the physics department, college of engineering at UIUC, so my question is “What are the downsides of enrolling in spring” and “Which of the 2 options are better?”

NYU:
Pros:

1. Higher ranking and generally more famous
  2. New York supports a vast resource of internships and other opportunities
  3. Better transportation
    Cons:
  4. Starts in spring, so I don’t have much to do this fall
  5. High tuition and living cost
  6. Doesn’t even have a campus

UIUC:
Pros:

1. Better reputation in engineering
  2. Lower tuition and living cost
  3. Better academic environment
    Cons:
  4. Urbana-Champaigne is smaller and doesn’t offer much resources in terms of internships or entertainment choices

In terms of the major, I am aware that it would be impossible to transfer to cs major in UIUC, but still I’m not dedicated to cs. I’m only certain that I want to study in the field of engineering.
I’m not in-state for any of the two colleges for I am a green card holder currently living outside of US.
Thank you very much for any opinion. This is bothering me since NYU demands an answer in 3 days. :unamused:

Sorry, I checked again and found that I applied for ece at NYU. However the major is not specified on the NYU website or the decision letter, so I’m not quite sure what this means.

1 Like

This is the old polytechnic college over in Brooklyn that was bought by NYU I think.
I read that the experience is not pleasant because you’d have some classes in Manhattan and some in Brooklyn. You should think three times before you go down this route, and make sure that the major is housed in the main campus etc.

2 Likes

Illinois due to Fall entry and because you do not appear to fully understand your NYU offer regarding campus and major.

1 Like

Illinois by a mile. Unless you dream to live in a big city.

Could you care to elaborate? NYU seems far more famous overall in my home country, but I’m not sure what american people really think of these two universities. Thank you.

Thanks! That would certainly be annoying.

I also heard that the NYU tandon is getting a lot more fund these years.

I know Physics is within Grainger at UIUC. But you won’t graduate with an engineering degree - you’ll have a physics degree. What will you do after that?

I’m concerned that you weren’t sure what you applied for and aren’t sure what they’ve offered. Please figure that out first. If it’s ECE then it’s worth it because you want to be an engineer not a physicist.

Yes, that’s correct. The Tandon school is in Brooklyn. If you don’t like the lack of an actual campus at the main Manhattan “campus”, you’ll like the Brooklyn outpost even less. But still, major is the bigger consideration IMO.

1 Like

Well I missed that from the ‘rep’ angle.

Not a fan of spring admits - you’d fall behind socially.

And Tandon school is not in Manhattan. It’s not on NYU’s campus which isn’t a campus anyway.

In the US, it’s UIUC by a mile.

2 Likes

Yes, physics is not electrical. I have heard of physics grads going into electrical for grad school though. But that is two more years of expense and time. For engineering fields uiuc is far stronger than nyu. But as @DadOfJerseyGirl said clarity is useful.

2 Likes

UIUC is the far bigger name in engineering. But - you’ve not been admitted to engineering.

(FYR - NYU is a big name for finance, business, law and math)

Edit: I wrote this at the same time as Neela1 and I see that he made the same point

3 Likes

Tandon is in a great area of Brooklyn that is booming and attracting a lot of young people. To be honest I think it is preferable to the Washington Square area that NYU is centered around.

Here are some photos that are a very short walk. This gives you an idea of proximity to Manhattan (literally walking distance) via the Brooklyn Bridge.

I think you have two great options. Congratulations

2 Likes

As for internship, most engineers don’t during the year. No time. UIUC will afford as many options.

That you don’t know what discipline of engineering you want to study is a concern - physics vs ECE. Physics can get you in array of places as an engineer . ECE is great and if you are thinking CS, while not CS may be more related.

Lots to think about.

You may also look at course scheduling. As a spring admit and starting late, will they have the courses you need and when you need them ?

1 Like

UIUC has Research Park with plenty internship opportunities (to address your concern re internships; I realize there are concerns re the major):

2 Likes

You should do a deep dive into the curricula at both schools for each major. Which appeals to you more? Which seems like it will prepare you for what you want after college?

As far as a campus, unless you want a big city with commutes between campuses, Illinois is a better choice. Lots of international students there, and plenty of internship opportunities.

3 Likes

UIUC is a big name in the US for STEM.
There should be no problem getting summer internships from UIUC and the campus offers way more entertainment than, as a student in Grainger, you’ll be able to take advantage of. You’re also 2 hours from Chicago for breaks.

I don’t think the higher cost of NYU + social isolation that comes from being from abroad+arriving in the Spring are worth it.

Email UIUC to know whether students admitted to Physics can pivot to an Engineering major in the same college and if so, how easily.

3 Likes

Isn’t NYU also known for dancing/film/art?

OP, this is tough because if you go to Illinois, and you want to get into Engineering, you will have to try to transfer to the Engineering school, the success of which is not a given.

And if you go to NYU,

a) Their Engineering is not as strong as it is at Illinois, and
b) Your class time will be split between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

I would disregard the reputations of the schools – both are adequately known and quite academically stout.

Yes it is. And I’m sure for a couple of other majors too that I might have missed. :slight_smile:

Actually, no. Physics is housed in the engineering school so OP is already there. The question is whether he can switch into an engineering major.

Mostly in Brooklyn, except maybe for a few Gen Ed classes in Manhattan. There’s a free NYU shuttle between the two locations, but agreed - not as convenient as a single location campus.

1 Like

Ahhh, I see. So OP would be in the same school as Engineering… but would still have to petition to major in an Eng discipline.

OP, I would try to find out how difficult it is to accomplish.