NYU Stern vs. IUB Kelley (Accounting Major with Potential Double Major in Finance)

I’m currently in a tough spot and could really use some guidance and insights from the amazing community here. I recently got off the waitlist for NYU and had already committed to IUB, but now I’m torn between NYU Stern and IUB Kelley. I have just 1 day to make my decision, and I would greatly appreciate any input you can provide. PS: I don’t want to get into investment banking. Here’s a quick breakdown of the key points:

IUB Kelley:
Made many friends (including my best friend) and am completely familiar with the university.
Cost of attendance is $40k.
Offers a hospitality minor.
Has a campus environment that is safe and a close-knit college community.
Less competitive atmosphere and easier classes.
Honors program available.
The Business School is ranked 16th overall by Poets and Quants, number 1 for academic experience, and number 18 for career outcomes.
Not located in a major city.

NYU Stern:
Have one friend (not a best friend) and not as clear about the university.
Higher cost of attendance at $70k.
No hospitality minor offered.
No traditional campus, but located in the best city in the USA.
Potentially more competitive environment and harder classes.
No specific mention of an honors program.
The Business School is ranked 7th overall by Poets and Quants, number 19 for academic experience, and number 6 for career outcomes.
A potential for better internships.

If you’ve attended either university, please feel free to share your experiences and any regrets or successes you’ve had. Your perspectives would be invaluable in helping me make this crucial decision.

Both are well respected programs. But personal fit always matters, and your list of pros for IUB seem to outweigh pros for NYU.

3 Likes

Depends on career goals (and location) after graduation. If going into hospitality (or general “main street” job “anywhere” US), I’d choose the cheaper more comfortable option Kelley. If you have aspirations to work on Wall Street or MBB type consulting, you’ll probably have better opportunities coming from Stern, but not impossible from Kelley.

3 Likes

Is the $30K annual difference affordable for your family (defined as your parents don’t need to take loans)?

If affordable, I would go with the one that you think is the best fit as a school, and location is part of that. Does the idea of living in NYC excite you? Or do you prefer a more traditional campus environment like in Bloomington? Are you accepted to IU Honors?

Where do you want to end up living after college? What types of jobs are you considering?

Just a note…IU is somewhat competitive, including access to clubs (like consulting and IB, but I know you said IB isn’t of interest) and classes aren’t easy. Plenty of Kelley grads do go into banking and consulting every year. If you are targeting hospitality jobs I would call each career center and talk to them about paths to that world.

Friends at a school - not a reason to attend. Hospitality anything - not a reason to study it. Unless you really want.

Accounting - matters less where you go - you don’t even need to go to a top school but if you are looking at US News IU is higher.

You are doing paralysis by analysis.

Pick based on comfort.

Sounds like IU to me.

Hospitality is always an interest I’ve had, but I’m not going to have a career in it.

My parents are willing to pay for the extra cost of NYU. I do prefer a more traditional campus, but I’ve also always wanted to settle in New York. I’m interested in something related to financial services, not exactly sure what.

1 Like

Then that should be a non-factor in choosing between the 2. It comes down to money, what you want to do afterwards, and where you think you will be happier and do better. I have a feeling Stern will be more “competitive” among the student body as many students who choose Stern are gunning for the big IB and consulting jobs.

2 Likes

A few comments:

– If you want to become a CPA keep in mind that you need 150 credits (a typical bachelors degree is about 120 credits). Some people can get to the 150 credit with APs, summer classes etc. but many go for a one year Masters degree in accounting. Keep this potential of an extra year of school in mind as you consider your college budget. If you stay at Kelley you could also look at getting the MS in Accounting at NYU if you like.

–Again, if you want to become a CPA you can find success from either school. The Big 4 will eagerly interview candidates from both Kelley and Stern. And FWIW my S had no issue getting Big 4 offers from NY offices out of his Masters in Accounting program school in the Midwest.

–Focus on what you want YOUR four year college experience you want. If you want a traditional campus, Big 10 sports etc. then Kelley should be your preference. If you want to be immersed in NYC (no traditional campus, no big time sports etc.) then NYU would fit well.

–The money difference is significant but that is up to your family to decide what is comfortably affordable.

2 Likes

Yes, but do you think that going to Stern will give me a leg up when it comes to getting jobs? I am interested in consulting, but not investment banking.

I am a city girl, but I also want a traditional college experience. However, I value my career more. I also have no interest in being CPA certified.

Well…to me “city girl” sounds like NYU and “traditional college experience” sounds like Kelley.
Only you can decide what is right for you.

3 Likes

Where you go to school won’t necessarily impact where you end up.

You’d have little issue getting from IU to Nyc assuming a good economy if you targeted jobs there

No.

Consulting runs a gamut of industries/functions but you are giving far too much impact to both NYU and NYC.

Few wil become consultants. You may or may not but both schools will give you that opportunity.

1 Like

Depends on kind of jobs and where you want to live. In the end, your grades and summer internships will drive your job prospects more than the name on top of your diploma. Even if we were talking Wharton instead of Stern, being at the top of Kelley is better than being at the bottom of Wharton/Stern. What you will get at Stern is probably a more robust formal placement opportunity for summer internships, especially for NYC and other major cities, particularly for small to medium sized firms.

1 Like

What did you decide ? And why ?

The OP has not returned to CC since the day this was posted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.