NYU vs Case Western Reserve University for pre-med

I have an offer to join case western and NYU for CAS. Would like to know what everyone thinks is a better college for pre med students.

Both are fine. What will u study ? Pre med is not a major?

How are costs ??

How do you feel about crazy urban vs semi urban with somewhat of a campus?

Nyc has advantages but also distractions as one of son‘s friends unfortunately learned.

You have to make the choice. Not us

I’m sure OP is well aware of this - not sure what’s wrong with asking for input? Isn’t that the whole reason CC exists?

Both schools have strong reputations. Both have med schools and plenty of volunteering/shadowing/research opportunities.

I personally would lean toward Case. Smaller size, real campus within the urban setting, more cohesive college community
 and the medical-adjacent programs are a huge part of what the university’s reputation is built on (whereas many who seek out NYU for undergrad are drawn to the business school or the arts programs). Case is also more flexible, with their “open door policy” vis-a-vis majors - this could be helpful since “premed” is just an intention, and you can major in practically anything
 and you’d have tons of great options if for whatever reason you changed your mind about med school.

But if NYU appeals more, it’s a fine choice as well - it’s all about what you prefer. If you tell us more about yourself and what’s important to you, it’ll be easier for commenters to tell what input would be helpful.

6 Likes

Yea I understand. And gave feedback.

My point was just to say - with a day left - OP will have to make a decision. When one asks which is better, that is akin to where should I go - and that’s why I made the statement. Was nothing rude intended or about it.

And yea I provided inputs. I too would lean Case because as awkward as I found their campus, it is indeed a campus. And for a young person, less distractions.

But many love the hustle and bustle of NYC.

Medical school is VERY expensive. If it’s definitely happening, you need to factor that cost in.

Both are well respected. What environment do you seek? CWRU will probably have a more science-y academic vibe, IMO. NYU is going to be big city life.

I like both campus. Yes I realize it is my decision. As a student in CAS and wanting to go to med school later on, just trying to weigh one over the other.

pre-med is good almost anywhere. don’t pick between these 2 excellent schools based on that. do you want a campus or not? do you want to be in NYC?
I would pick Case for me or my kid but that’s no knock against NYU. it’s just more of a traditional college experience and maybe more of a community.

academically, both are top notch.
and you will likely be treated in your lifetime by excellent doctors who got their undergrad degrees from schools ranked far, far below these 2.

3 Likes

I have no idea what this means. Somewhat of a campus? Have you been to CWRU? Does a campus have to be surrounded by cornfields to be a real campus? I don’t know what a real campus looks like if CWRU is only “somwhat.”

1 Like

Yes - somewhat - and it had weird art.

I was there July 1st 2017 - we took my son to see.

I know the date - it was the day of the U2 concert!!! Joshua Tree tour - was AMAZING!!

After we saw campus and before the show, we ate in little Italy.

It wasn’t “typical” - in my opinion.

Nonetheless, yes it’s a campus - and when we were at NYU, it’s not.

Hopefully OP has been to both since he has to decide - so my opinion or yours of defining the campus wouldn’t be relevant.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.