Off Campus Housing Help

<p>Hey guys, I am starting at UA in the Fall 2012 and I am having to relocate to Tuscaloosa permanently. I have been searching online for a while seeing as I currently live 7 hours away from T Town but I am not really getting anywhere. I guess I just need some suggestions of places to look at. I would prefer to stay near campus and do not mind sharing places with other people. </p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^^^All freshman are required to live on campus unless you have a exemption, see below:</p>

<p>Freshman Residency Program
The University of Alabama is committed to providing all of its students with a comprehensive educational experience. There are numerous educational and social benefits for first year students living in the residence halls that may not be realized by those living off campus. With this understanding, UA began requiring all first year students to live on campus effective Fall Semester, 2006.
First year undergraduate students enrolled as full-time students, as defined in the University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog, will be required to live in campus residence halls. Students first enrolling in the summer are required to live in the residence halls during the Summer, Fall, and Spring Semesters. Students first enrolling in the fall are required to live in the residence halls during the Fall and Spring Semesters. Students first enrolling in the spring are required to live in the residence halls during the Spring Semester.</p>

<p>Students who will live in the legal residence of their parent(s) or guardian(s) may be exempted from the Freshman Residency Program.</p>

<p>Requests for exemption to the Freshman Residency Program on the basis of compelling individual circumstances will be considered.</p>

<p>Freshman residency exemptions are not granted automatically. Each is considered as it is submitted. Students will be notified whether the exemption is granted in a timely manner.</p>

<p>The housing exemption request form for fall 2012 will be available on mybama.ua.edu. First, the student logs in to myBama at <a href=“http://mybama.ua.edu%5B/url%5D”>http://mybama.ua.edu</a>. Then the student will need to click on the Student tab, and go to Banner Self Service section in the upper left corner of the screen. From there, the student will click on Student Services, and Student Life to get to the application:</p>

<p>So you will relocate permanently to Tuscaloosa before next fall?</p>

<p>robotbldmom:</p>

<p>I am more than likely going to be exempt according to my regional recruiter. I am considered an adult freshman by UA. I have filled out the housing expemtion form and am waiting to hear back.</p>

<p>Feenotype: </p>

<p>Yes I am will be moving hopefully early June or if its easier becausing of leasing the normal leasing in August.</p>

<p>Well, I wouldn’t make plans until you hear what Housing has to stay. When do you hear back from them?</p>

<p>What is your budget for housing?</p>

<p>When you say that you’ll be considered an adult, does that mean that you’re turning 24?</p>

<p>Feenotype: I am not really sure when I am supposed to hear back from them they never really gave me a deadline. </p>

<p>Mom2collegekids: I would like to stay around $525 per room/apt depending. I will be 23 when the semester starts.</p>

<p>Oh, well I believe that 24 is the standard age for independence from your parents for college finances. I don’t know about housing. However it is usually required that freshman have to live on campus (if there is no exemption) which is why I posted that information for you. I didn’t want you to be caught off guard. :slight_smile: I would definitely check with housing to make sure that you will be granted an exemption -get it in writing.</p>

<p>$525 is doable (as long as you share) but why not consider another option, living on campus your freshman year for an approx. cost of $5,000 per school year (two semesters). See the housing costs below.
This will include all utilities, Cable TV, security etc. You will be on campus and you will NOT need a car. Settling into a new area is hard enough and this housing choice is an easy first step. You will be guaranteed housing as a freshman. You can then move off campus at the end of freshman year after getting your bearings and meeting potential housemates. You will probably be older than your roommates so I am just presenting this as an alternative. Or you might be able to room with a transfer student. If you are living independently now and used to your own apartment, this might not be what you are looking for. But it would certainly be a chance to immerse yourself completely in the college atmosphere. </p>

<p>Housing Costs…See less expensive options:
The University of Alabama Housing and Residential Communities
2011-2012 Residence Hall Rates (Per Semester)
9 MONTH CONTRACTS:
UNDERGRADUATE HALLS
Double occupancy or higher … $2,525.00 Single … $3,000.00 Blount Hall (double occupancy bedroom) … $3,250.00 Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (4 bedroom unit)… $4,050.00 Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (2 bedroom unit)… $4,525.00 Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (1 bedroom unit)…$4,900.00
UNDERGRADUATE APARTMENTS
Rose Towers (double occupancy bedroom)… $2,450.00 Bryce Lawn and Highlands (double occupancy bedroom)… $2,835.00 Bryce Lawn and Highlands (single occupancy bedroom)… $4,015.00
11.5 MONTH CONTRACTS:^
The Bluffs (3 bedroom unit)… $4,575.00 Summer… $2,450.00 Total contract amount…$11,600.00
The Bluffs (2 bedroom unit)… $4,900.00 Summer… $2,650.00 Total contract amount…$12,450.00
Bryce Lawn and The Bluffs are available to upperclassman students only ^ The only contract length available for The Bluffs</p>

<p>Here is the link to the above chart as it did not copy well:
<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2011-2012_Residence_Hall_Rates.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2011-2012_Residence_Hall_Rates.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>robotbldmom: Thank you for all of that info, that helps a lot! :slight_smile: If something does fall through with the exemption than you have definitely prepared me. I am trying to have mulitple back up plans just in case.</p>

<p>If you’re turning 24 during the school year, then I think you’re independent.</p>