Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

I’ll agree with that then! Drew isn’t really a school we hear about here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t want to make this a big deal, but you did make a definitive sentence that Swarthmore is the most convenient LAC from the West Coast. Since Drew is only a five-minute further drive from the airport, Drew is more convenient because Newark Airport is more convenient than Philly from the west coast. There are way more non-stop flights, and from a couple of major west coast airports, you can’t fly non-stop to Philly, and there are two or three non-stop to Newark. If you live near Portland, you can’t fly non-stop to Philly.

Also, there are all sorts of kids applying to college and not just super high stat kids who would want to attend a LAC. For less competitive kids, Drew could be a compelling choice for a traditional " East Coast" LAC experience. It’s strong in education; they have both Public and Private programs in NYC, including the UN; its proximity to Manhattan and how convenient it is to get to could add to its appeal to west Coast Students.

4 Likes

OK…you win. Drew is the easiest school to get to from the West Coast.

FWIW - there are more comments about Drew in this thread, over the past few hours, than there have been on this site since the start of the pandemic. Nobody coming to this site is looking for information on Drew, especially not people who need to fly to get there.

1 Like

How about GW or Maryland from the DC Airport? Is GTown also right off the metro?

1 Like

Can y’all just agree that convenient is a relative term where small gradations may not make a meaningful difference, and further that what counts as more or less convenient may differ for different individuals, and for that matter for the same individual in different contexts?

Because if you can all at least do that, we can move past this and get back to stuff that’s, you know, interesting.

9 Likes

I had two D’s go through college admissions, here in the SF Bay Area, and I’ve been on this site for many years, FWIW, I’ve not ever heard of Drew University. :man_shrugging:

Swat OTOH…

1 Like

Yet here it is, with its own sub forum and everything!

5 Likes

Oh! This thread is supposed to be both off-topic AND meaningful/interesting? :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: We need to update the title. (I joke.)

In the sample size of this thread, I think we’ve proven that absolutely no one on the west coast has ever heard of Drew Univ. Moving on. :grinning:

3 Likes

I don’t see anyone complaining that to get to Harvard from Logan airport you have to change subway lines twice! :grin:

4 Likes

More importantly, we have proven that LAX is difficult to get to - at least from Manhattan!

But at least, once in L.A., the local commute apparently is a breeze. :wink:

8 Likes

I’ve heard of Drew but I live in TX and used to live in NYC. The Drew Rangers play in the Div III Landmark conference against Moravian, Catholic, Goucher, Susquehanna, Scranton, Juniata and Elizabethtown. A classmate friend from MBA in NY went to Moravian in PA and his daughter is playing sports at Elizabethtown.

So not being too off-topic on this off-topic thread while it has 15 minutes of fame. 15 Many, many, many, many moons ago, I visited Drew University, and it did move up on my list. It was a long time ago, but I remember it being a pretty campus, compact with some classic old buildings. It also is very walkable into the center of Madison, which is a happening downtown with many restaurants, shops, music, and art, and ten minutes from the Short Hills Mall, 20 minutes from Newark Airport, and under by train from Manhatten.

It is good to get Drew on the CC radar as an alternative to schools like Washington College, Susquehanna, Ursinus, Goucher, and E Town. Here is a link from the Drew website for some more detailed insight.

https://drew.edu/about/drew-in-a-nutshell/
8 Likes

under an hour by train

… and tennis, rowing, soccer, or Photo Shop not an entry requirement.

4 Likes

In terms of Drew University’s visual presence in contemporary culture, its Mead Hall (below) appeared as the Bowdoin College admission building in an HBO fictional series.

8 Likes

The Family Stone starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Diane Keaton was filmed in Madison, NJ and at Drew and Fairleigh Dickinson (a college CC’ers would also turn their noses up at). I know very successful Drew alumni and a great professor there. Whatevs.

14 Likes

It’s also got a respectable rep in the theater world.
C’mon, fans of Drew Unite!

12 Likes

Lovin’ the Drew-Love!!!

Isn’t there a thread for hidden gems? If so, it sounds like Drew needs to be added! The Drew-Gem? :wink:

7 Likes

This thread, in all its glorious debate over minutiae, is so quintessentially college confidential that I’d frame it if it were a picture.

This place at its best and absolute worst (in the light-hearted sense of each).

14 Likes

This is rather unfair to Drew, as I’ve seen numerous discussions of the school on this site. If you do a search, you will see. I grew up about a half hour away and visited Drew many times over the year for various events. It’s a beautiful school in a beautiful town, with a highly-regarded drama program and easy access to NYC by train (as well as Newark Airport).

I don’t disagree that few people applying to Swarthmore would also be applying to Drew, but there’s no need to be dismissive of a very nice school that is the right answer for many people. Horses for courses.

Edited to note that I now see that I am rather late to the defense of Drew!

17 Likes