Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

Hard to not be swept away by the Sunken Gardens at W&M. It just feel like college. Makes me want to go back to school.

6 Likes

I wonder if anyone here remembers the humorist Jean Shepherd, whose stories included frequent references to “Fairly Ridiculous”?

3 Likes

Fully agree! We visited on a 70 degree in February and so many happy looking students were out in the sunken garden. My daughter had low expectations going into the visit but came away really liking the school. She told me she was glad “I made her apply” :rofl: (due to Covid and being on the West Coast we visited after she had applied)

I don’t know Jean Shephard, but I know the less-than-flattering FDU nickname well.

My husband pointed out that this thread indicates that there seems to be an untapped market for a liberal arts college located inside a major airport. There’s a food court and shopping, plenty of hotels nearby, and obviously it would immediately become the most convenient LAC to fly to :joy:

9 Likes

He wrote A Christmas Story I believe.

3 Likes

I might be interested! :joy:

2 Likes

Many years ago, after I graduated from college, I lived close to FDU. I decided to take an evening course there as a pre-req for a graduate program elsewhere. On the first night of class I showed up, only to find a note on the door saying the class had been canceled for the semester, and to contact the Registrars office with questions. FDU made no attempt to reach me via phone, email or letter to let me know the class had been fully canceled :roll_eyes:. That’s when I fully realized why they had earned their nickname.

1 Like

For those fellow old-school nerds here who cut their social-media teeth on Usenet back in the day, y’all remember alt.humor.best-of-usenet? Yeah, it’s posts like this that make me feel like CC needs an equivalent.

7 Likes

Clam fart.

3 Likes

I guess if he had got stuck in the right airport, he could have earned a BA in English Literature

2 Likes

Although I heard that campus security was a bit heavy-handed.

Without Pre-Check you tend to miss the beginning of many classes.

7 Likes

conversations that probably wouldn’t happen IRL for any of us. Because none of us knows enough people who are true college nerds to even have this conversation!

4 Likes

I completely understand; we live in Portland now and my S23 is excitedly headed to Whitman this fall, but I grew up in Seattle and attended Bard for a year and the travel time 30 years ago was often 16-20 hours: Seattle to Chicago, layover, Chicago to LaGuardia, then Laguardia to Manhattan and Grand Central Station, then a train up north to Poughkeepsie, then a bus from Poughkeepsie to Bard.

It was pretty terrible!

1 Like

For final exams that is the norm at most colleges.

9 Likes

Isn’t this the way that most tests that are not take-home tests work?

2 Likes

Back in the 80s when I was in college (a State U in California), we didn’t have to go to specific buildings. Even finals were done in the same rooms the classes were held.

Or am I loosing it and my memory has failed me? :fearful:

2 Likes

Depends. Between the universities I’ve attended and those where I’ve taught, sometimes finals are in different rooms (bigger rooms to space students out more and prevent cheating), and sometimes they’ve been in the regular classrooms.

1 Like

When I went to college and for my kids as well (I believe) there were a couple of reading days and then a final exam schedule which posted the location and time for each class final. I think this was done: (1) so different sections of the same class would take the final exam at the same time to make it fair; (2)because there is only one final and many classes are scheduled for 2 or 3 days a week and; (3) colleges don’t want students to take more than a given number (2 or 3) of finals per day and some students may overload their schedule on certain days.

5 Likes

oops, forgot the post got moved… saved the answer to the original thread.

Sorry