Official Binghamton University Spring 2015 Transfer Thread

<p>@marcb1‌ Thank you. Yes, I got into the SOM. I will most likely live off campus, but i’m not sure. Which residential community are you looking to live in?</p>

<p>@militaryscholar‌ I think Dickinson and new wing are my top 2. 2 of my friends live in Delaware in new wing so I might prefer that. Is there a transfer Facebook group?</p>

<p>I don’t understand why on-campus housing is so expensive. Residential housing rates range from $8600 to $13600 per academic year. Is it really worth paying well over $1,000/month to live on campus for 2 semesters? I’ve come across some really nice off-campus apartments for $5-800/month. I don’t get why so many people are willing to pay such a high price for mediocre living conditions. </p>

<p>hey, I’m looking for a roommate, or a few people that are interested in renting a house. Preferably 18-22yr, neat and studious. Please let me know if you are interested. </p>

<p>Any one know when we will get our transfer credit evaluations?</p>

<p>My roommate and I are trying to sublet a 2BR/2BA in the brand new housing complex, Chenango Place. It’s a fully furnished luxury apartment complex (gym, security, etc.). We are desperate to get rid of the place for the Spring 2015 semester, so we are flexible on price. Let me know if you are interested.</p>

<p>militaryscholar, You could buy a decent 3 bedroom house in Binghamton for well under $100K so if you are talking about rent at that price ($8600 to $13600/year) that is outrageous! You could rent a 3 bedroom house in a good area for about $1,000 a month. Wealthy downstate parents often won’t bat an eye since they don’t know that the market in the Binghamton area is so depressed. The glut of housing is not quite what it is in Detroit but it is close. The university president got some benefit from partnering with a local developer to build high end apartments which made the already bad housing glut in the area even worse (contributing to further economic depression for the local community). So for about 12,000 for the entire year , you could rent a 3 bedroom house and share with a few others (costing each person about $4K for the entire year) or I suppose you can spend more than $12,000 and get one bedroom in a luxury apartment complex for 9 months</p>

<p>@lostaccount‌ I completely agree with you on this. The “luxury” housing developments seem to have hurt the rental market. It might have also strengthened the university itself by bringing in wealthy students from across the city. Nevertheless, the prices are absurd. Buying is a great option for someone with close to $20k in savings. However, renting a private house is probably be the most practical route for an undergraduate. By the way, I didn’t realize that the president received personal benefits for “partnering” with developers. </p>

<p>The university president got some benefit from a local developer to build student housing? Was this housing on campus or off? Private or university backed somehow?</p>

<p>re the president. It is a long story and that president resigned in disgrace. Not about the dorms but a string of problems. She’s out. Hopefully this is a new era for the school. </p>

<p>Militaryscholar. Do you think a lux dorm could help strengthen the university by bringing in wealthy students? Do you really think wealthy students who are attracted to a university because it has lux dorms would possibly strengthen the school? I think quite the opposite. The type of student attracted by swank dorms is the last type of student I think could strengthen the university. I’d guess a dreadful group. That would be the type other students complain are too prevalent already in the school. </p>

<p>@lostaccount‌ , It is the diversity of students in general that will help strengthen any institution. The “luxury” dorms might bridge a gap and perhaps attract students of a different social stratum. This will in turn allow for more diversified culture, but also increase the number of applicants. However, I think it’s quite ignorant to stereotype a particular group of people. I don’t think the dorms were meant to pinpoint a specific type, but they were rather used as a way to offer a variety of housing options. I’m looking at it on the macro level. No, I don’t think the “swank” dorms are at all tied at all to a “dreadful” group of people that “complain.” </p>

<p>My point was that a student attracted to a college because it has fancy dorms is probably not going to elevate the level of scholarship at the school. We are not talking about camp here right? It’s a college. Hopefully the extent to which the frills in the dorms factor in is minuscule for most students. Just a value thing. </p>

<p>Binghamton certainly has a glut of housing, but not of modern apartment type living. Sure, a student might be able to buy a nice house for the same kind of money, but how many students want to shovel the driveway, cut the grass etc? I lived in some dumpy places in college, but there are some people who aren’t willing to live that way. There’s apparently a market for it out there.</p>

<p>True but there are also some nice complexes that are much less than the university is charging. Some are designed as corporate apartments but are still much less than Binghamton University or than the new swank complex. </p>

<p>Does anyone happen to know exactly when we’ll be able to register for classes? Will we meet with an advisor the day of orientation or soon after? </p>

Hi! I’m currently a sophomore and I’m trying to transfer to Binghamton. I will have 39 credits coming in (assuming I do) and a gpa of currently 3.29. I know that isn’t high, but what are my chances?

did you get in?

nevermind, i saw this comment, besides marketing what other business classes did you take?