***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Congrats we are still waiting to hear from Penn, didn’t know they had released anything yet.

Any update on Baylor2baylor ?
How’s the program?

@Mimic17 Baylor Baylor is an excellent program. Baylor is ranked higher than many BS MD programs except for Pitt GAP and NU. Baylor Also gives good undegrad scholarship. Full if you are NMF. Baylor Medical School for OOS is also around 30K. Lot cheaper than other schools.

I was selected for the Medical Track Event in January, but did not make it to Final Cut. Did you get final interview? Ofcourse it wont have the vibrance of NU and Chicago. Good Luck

Gap year: Do BSMD programs allow students to defer their admission by a year, say for research or community service? Curious, does anyone know or have attempted it?

Some schools do allow a gap year. I have heard from VCU and REMS that they allow it.

@Mom22DDs It is going to differ with each program. So best is to review the program of interest to you. Heard OU does not allow gap year. Some programs will not allow if UG is done earlier than the program guidelines. 7 years back my friend’s S finished UG at Lehigh in 2 years and Drexel/Lehigh informed him he can not join MD until 3 years is over and he went abroad to work/volunteer in a hospital for a year.

Thank you @bpc2017 & @GoldenRock ! My DD asked OU about whether their BAMD students can extend the UG part to 4 years instead of 3 years (no gap year, just 4+4 instead of 3+4) and they said they are fully supportive of that. She didn’t ask about gap year between completing 3 years of UG and starting 1st year of MD.

Also, I’m more curious about whether any school would allow a student to delay the start of UG by a year but still maintain their BSMD admission. I’m guessing not, as it would count against next year BSMD admissions, but thought I’ll ask if anyone has experience or knowledge. I’m hoping responses to such questions will also be helpful for other students making those considerations.

Interesting detail about Hofstra’s BS/MD program: if a student is bringing in 30 credits, they can drop their senior year of undergraduate study and take a “gap year” between undergrad and med school. They noted that most students pursue research or a masters during this time.

One student at UIC GPPA program completed her UG portion in 3 years then received a master’s program from England.

@Mom22DDs FYI. OU program is 4+4 program (and not 3+4 year by design). But OU program is flexible and it appears they are ok if students complete in 3 years and they can join the MD. So far she does not know any one has done that but she is keen on completing it in 3 years as of now. OU gives credits to AP and hence it is doable. Also it is common in OU for students to do Masters or Law or MBA since they offer 5 years of free tuition for NMF.

Did the REMS notification come out? My DD interviewed at REMS program,but she did not receive any email or phone.

REMS notifications (phone calls) went out on Tuesday and Wednesday for admits and today for alternates as per my sources.

@Harryp17, Did you get into REMS?

My DD received her email from REMS - she is an alternate.

@onlyhope yes, my son also got into REMS so decisions are out! good luck.

@kkfields - Congrats! Your DS has good options. Is he waiting for any other programs?

thanks @srk2017! we are waiting on a few including UMKC and Brown!

I’m waiting to hear back from the Sophie Davis CUNY School of Medicine! :slight_smile: interview went well, but I don’t want to jinx my admissions, hehe. Are there other people that applied? Results come out March 31-April 1. Get hyped! :smiley: Sophie-Davis CO’24!

Anyone hear anything about the bsmd program from Rice?

S just got accepted to Rice UG, on the letter it didn’t mention the Rice/Baylor decision, still waiting…