***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Mom22DDs, Turning down AMC only works for first round. I don’t think after today they will call more people.

Happy for you @misophoniax ! We felt the outlook was bleak for DD but she is going BSMD now, so we can relate very well to how you feel. DD has her favorites, and is waiting to hear back on some.

@WGSK88 Thanks - Your daughter also has good academic stats and great ECs, so feel for her. But good luck to her and i am sure she will do very well.
As a number of folks have indicated on this thread before, getting to the interview stage is more of a lottery provided one has the base scores and ECs.
However, one thing that I can say based our personal experience whether it was the interviews for the BS/MD programs or for the UGs Alumni interviews, is the aspect related to the Essays that gets very little mention here and I think is one of the most important aspects once one crosses the basic threshold of scores and ECs.
Essays are given very serious attention by the admissions committee as they use them to understand the passion and the strength of the students and then having to choose between the hundreds of very talented kids. My view is 100 hours of shadowing versus 1000 hours at this point makes very little difference if one cannot have the school see the work and the accomplishments through the application.
In every interview my daughter had, her essays were discussed in length - in fact the interviewers were well prepared and had read each one thoroughly, and the interviews were mostly about the passion and excitement behind the stories and the narratives. Also, the essays about why school were very well written after hours of research and something most of the schools commended her for.

So in short, its all about the application (essays), provided one has 3.9+, 2250+ scores to get to the interviews. (my daughter had a 4.1 GPA and 2400 score).
Once in an interview, its all about passion and excitement that one can convey about the field and the school that will determine the final outcome.
I could be off base here, but based on the experiences this year, this is my conclusion on what can make a successful candidate.

There is a wait list of applicants for AMC so it doesn’t hurt to give them a call just so they know for sure that you are not going to choose the program.

DD just received an email from TCNJ regarding admission to the TCNJ/NJMS program.

@misophoniax Congrats!! Did you receive an email or phone call ? Does anyone know when is the second list for AMC/RPI/Union coming out ? Thanks

@chesscrazy one thing I forgot to mention in my post regarding DO program at NYIT. If your child decides to apply out after taking the MCAT, he/she will loose his/her guaranteed seat at NYCOM. That’s why the 2 people we know who ended up going overseas were unable to go back to NYCOM.

@Salvadortrail Both SBU/GWU & StonyBrook are good choices and you are not going to go wrong with either one. So get a feel from your child based on the limited experience when visited.

Agree with @Empire007 assessment and his response. You are OOS to both. But from cost perspective there is not much difference (if you have not got any aid from any one of them). SBU UG cost $40k net more but Stonybrook MD will cost $40K net more and hence almost same. But if you have got aid (which I assume you would have got) weigh that factor also.

My instinct felt GWU selection is to some extent different from rest of the crowd, I am assuming your child has done some outstanding volunteer work, more on international / missionary / disaster help, GWU may match the passion since their program has emphasis on international public health. At the same time, Stonybrook has more access to hospitals as @Empire007 suggested. But UG life is may be different for these 2 schools. If your child prefers vibrant city or college town for the first 4 years. I have not been to both schools nor have any medical professional knowledge. GL.

@chesscrazy Thank you for your kind words. It is going to be a tough decision and your family / child need to make the call. Many folks have already given their input. I have zero knowledge on medical profession and did not do too much research on DO since at the beginning itself we decided not to pursue DO (right or wrong we don’t know).

My instinct (with no real analysis) feels go with UConn (especially done so many credit with that school and being in state resident). For all you know, your child can have the bandwidth to do many medicine EC (even if UG can be completed in 3 years) and position as a strong candidate for the MD admission later. GL.

Review the important points high lighted by @Empire007 regarding NYIT/DO.

@Empire007 , @Mom22DDs , @path2md , @bpc2017 , Bunch of thanks to you guys. Thanks for your time and efforts

@GoldenRock Thanks for your thoughtful advice, time and energy you spend on each post for so many on this forum. Temple program requires an interview with Medical School after 2nd year. The 4+4 or 3+4 option determines when you have to take MCAT (Jan of 3rd year for 3+4, May of 3rd year for 4+4). Health advising committee needs to approve your medical related ECs ( Shadowing, Volunteering and Community Service, Research portfolio) at the end of 2nd year to provide a committee recommendation letter. There are GPA (3.6 both science as well as overall ) and MCAT (about 509-511, 75%) requirements.

************* IMPORTANT REQUEST *************************

May be only UH and RB still not announced. We are almost to the end of drama and in the final climax scene. But don’t leave the hall and close the door for ever. Please put your stats and reflection in the other 2017 results thread as soon as you made the decision and informed the school. The more the delay, the chances are high you are not going to post there. It is very beneficial to future students / parents to navigate this highly complex and competitive BS/MD application process and program selection. Agree fully with @BS_MD2017 post there few points which are play a critical role but not discussed / highlighted often. Even this year, it appears there are 4-5 students have got many BS/MD programs and analyzing their input can guide others.

So don’t delay and post your stats and reflection sooner than later.

@GoldenRock . Thanks a lot for your time and advice and we will go with our DS decisions which will be most probably Uconn.

@WGSK88 Did you DD interviewed at OU ?

@Super2016 I received my admissions notification through email.

@grtd2010 - She didn’t apply to OU. Case-Western didn’t choose her to be one of the 70 finalists. Apparently they had 2400+ applicants for PPSP (8 year direct BS/MD program) but 2 of her school mates with lesser record then her were one of the 70’s!!!

DD did not get interview for PPSP either but got regular UG offer with 27k scholarship.

my DS didn’t get PPSP and waitlisted for UG but yesterday they sent 27K scholarship and asked him if he wants to continue in the waitlist. He declined. First it felt odd that they offered scholarship while he is on WL. I guess they waited for Ivy day to start narrowing WL.

@srk2017 True it looks odd, but it is a different strategy and personally I like this. Basically they are indirectly informing that absolutely we would like to offer and also giving enough time for you to get all your other results and now tell me. In that way their yield is not impacted. Unlike NU and WashU.

@grtd2010 @srk2017 - Yes, my daughter got into BS program at Case Western with $29.5k/year merit award. They also sent us an email to let them know today whether my daughter has interest or commit or decline their offer. But we are still waiting to hear from UIC GPPA as she as Honors Merit Scholar award from UIC as well (which is not much but since we are in-state it’s only about $15K/year full tuition at UIC for us for the BS and about $40K/year (tuition only) during MD.