***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Mom22DDs, what do you mean by MD/DO residencies being merged? MDs and DOs already do residency training together, and go through same NRMP program I think. I am not aware of separate DO residency programs.

I could be wrong but I am of the understanding that there are separate residency programs for DOs and they apply differently and get selected through different path. from 2021, these will all be merged into one pool and go through one selection/assignment process that all MDs go through, an algorithm that supposedly favors the students a little more than the schools.

I’m sure others will weigh in with more specific info. I’m googling it meanwhile.

medstudentstories.merckmanuals.com*residency-merger-the-impact-on-current-med-students
Replace * with /
I don’t know whether this is favorable for DO or MDs more, would look to others to comment on that.

^^ @path2md

@Mom22DDs, I will look through the link you provided. When I was doing my Residency training, we had DO Residents along with us in same program.

@path2md - Currently, DOs can apply to MD residency spots but not the other way around. There is a separate set of residencies that only DOs can apply to, and that is managed completely separately from MD residency system. In the future, these are supposed to be merged so MDs can qualify for DO residency spots. It is unclear whether there will still be two residency systems or just one system (the current MD system) which includes all available residency spots. There seems to be a lot of debates/opinions on this and the general call out seems to be that this is unfavorable for DOs.

Hope that helps, sorry my knowledge on this is limited.

@chesscrazy, It may be too soon to commit the kid to DO program in high school. Since your DS was in the BSMD process now, he knows what is required and what activities need to be done. So he will be better prepared for next time. When looking at undergrads, choose an undergrad carefully where he can maintain a high gpa.

@Mom22DDs, Oh! thanks for this info. I wasn’t aware of the separate Residency for DOs. I too feel if the change happens, it will be unfavorable to some DO applicants.

Got into Union/AMC!!! Got off the under consideration list!!!

@Mom22DDs , @path2md , @GoldenRock ,
Uconn does not have an early assurance program. We heard their Pre- Med track is good with research opp. No body is in med field in our family, bunch of engineers. My son’s seniors are asking him to join U conn. He is very keen about medical field. What is this merger residency? . please guide us.

Hearty congrats @misophoniax !! Your enthusiasm cheered me up, thank you for that :slight_smile:

@chesscrazy - see my posts on last page about the merger. Is the DO program binding or does it allow students to apply out to DO/MD programs at end of UG? How good is UG and how practical is it to maintain high GPA in that UG? If BSDO is non-binding, and UG does not have grade deflation, my DD would still go the DO path if she were in your son’s shoes.

@chesscrazy, it is a very tough decision for you and your family. As previously discussed in this thread, I feel it is too early to commit to DO, just after high school. But again, I have heard that NYIT is very good program, so you and your child have lot of thinking to do.

Got into RPI/AMC
But going to NW HPME as expected

@Mimic17 - congrats!! Hope you turned down RPI/AMC so someone else can get that spot.

@path2md - is it not possible to go BS/DO and then apply to MD at end of UG? I know that is possible with some BS/MDs though students don’t do it because of all the additional effort involved when they are already in MD. Is applying to MD while holding a DO spot not a more risk-averse option than foregoing DO? Not questioning your advice, trying to build up my knowledge. I am an engineer, so not very aware of med school and options.

You’re welcome! @Mom22DDs I thought I had no shot at any BS/MD program, but I’ve gotten into 3 so far! I feel so blessed and excited.

@chesscrazy NYIT/NYCOM does allow you to apply out after taking the MCAT. At least that was the case last cycle. So if your child scores well and wants to roll the dice in another four years the option is there. We know 4 people that did that at the split was 50%…2 got into a US Med School, the other 2 were unable to secure a US Med School so one ended up in a Caribbean med school and the other in a Eastern European med school.

@Mom22DDs, I am not sure if the BS/DO program would allow to apply out to MD at the end of UG. That sounds not practical to me. If it is allowed, many would choose that as alternate to BS/MD. That is something to explore. I don’t have much knowledge on DO path either.

The University of Houston Honors Biomedical Sciences Program will notify all BS/MD candidates of acceptances and declines this afternoon, IF the decisions from the medical school partners come in this morning as expected. I’m the program director: anything you hear from anyone else should not be taken seriously.