***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Congratulations to every one who accepted in BS/MD programs.
Need few suggestions here

My DS applied around 10 BS/MD colleges. He received 2 interviews. Unfortunately, he did not get in both. Now end of our BS/MD journey.

So now we have undergrad options WASHU, VAnderbilt, Emory and Rice with Trustworthy Scholarship for 25,500. He also has UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara with Regents Scholarship in Biology and
UC Berkley in Comp Science.

Anys suggestions on which UG school prepare kids to enter good med school.

@pleasanton - My DD has BSMD admissions and Rice, and she felt that Rice and Brown present the best balance of college life and pre-med prep. I hope that helps, though it is only one studentā€™s opinion.

@pleasanton Is Rice scholarship $25.5k total for 4 years or yearly award?

Assume if it is yearly award, Rice is a better choice. Even otherwise it is a better choice, except if you want to have a plan B for medical career, then UCB CS is a better choice.

Some folks post Wash hard to get GPA which is so critical for MD admission.

@BeeMan My reading of your post, got UPitt UG only. If that is true, and if your DC is clear and wants to pursue medicine as a career, then it is better to consider Brown PLME . You can wait to know GWU alternate list status. But that will save only 1 year of expense only ($60k). If you are not eligible for need-based, tell dad his fun days are over, cut all activities and start saving until wallet reaches half a million!

Wait for your other results and hopefully you get one which can reduce expense like Rice / Baylor.

Thank you for your suggestions. Mom22DDS and GoldenrRock

$ 25.5k for yearly award. How hard is maintain GPA at Rice in Bio Chem and Cell Biology major and how is Research opportunities there? Any suggestions will help us a lot.

@Pleasanton My Dā€™s good friend joined Rice. So will find out and will let you know. Have you been to Rice or not yet?
I went there last year and we both liked. Both research opportunities and access to medical EC is so easy and convenient. Rice within a mile to the famous medical corridor of Houston (MD Anderson, UT Houston). There is a parent who informed his D went to CWRU (pre-med) than all the UC she got because it is much easier to get opportunities than UC environment (very competitive for every thing). And also this is the best time to explore some other parts of US and come back to the Bay area later which no one wants to leave!

It is a fantastic opportunity to go with Rice with such generous scholarship. Also explore if Tx allows for in state eligibility since many better MD schools and it is the lowest fees for both IS and OOS.

Looking at my list from last year, still few more BS/MD programs to go. Besides UH, WashU, UPitt GAP and Rice/B.
Only RB will be delayed as late around 4/21 but rest should be coming week. Hope @beeman gets UPitt Gap which will reduce the total bill.

Wash-Jeff Temple is also not out.

@pleasanton - Iā€™d echo what @GoldenRock said. Our friendā€™s son went to Rice and got into Baylor. My DD is keen on becoming a doctor and she researched a lot about GPA, research opportunities, experiencing college life while getting good GPA, cost etc. She said if she would to go UG only, sheā€™d go Rice with scholarship. Unfortunately, she didnā€™t get any merit aid from Rice, or it would have been a serious contender. Have you visited Rice? If not, you should. Youā€™ll see why folks keep referring to Texas Medical Center.

I also want to mention it is very easy to get Tx residency by just living off campus for a year while going to school, but remember that youā€™ll be giving up CA residency which is not easy to get back.

@Mom22DDs How easy is to get CA residency for DC if parents move and get jobs in CA?

@grtd2010 - If parents moved to CA and established residency (rental or owned home, drivers license etc.), then a year from their move to CA, student would qualify as CA resident. If parents move in April, then student will pay OOS tuition till next April, after which they should qualify for instate fees (to be confirmed with school).

For TX, student needs to get their own rental (or buy home) and live there for some period (1 year?) to get TX residency. When we toured Rice, the Rice/Baylor student said sheā€™ll live final year in off-campus rented apartment to establish residency.

Question: How easy is it for student going to school in NJ to get NJ residency, and what do they need to do? Just live in off-campus apartment, or do they need to own property there, or nothing works? TCNJ/NJMS mail says it is easy for students to establish NJ residency for medical school, so curious.

@Mom22DDs We get all these postcards from real estate agents from TX. DD has admission to UT-Austin. Do not know much about NJ residency rules.

I have toledo bs/md with interview guaranteed and money and emory, madison (reg). Ur suggestion will be appreciated.

@pleasanton My D informed her friend is doing non-science major. So not much info to share. Rice is a better choice in your case if medicine is the path your DC prefers.

Colleges That Produce the Most Doctors(UG Pre-med)

1 - UCLA

2 - University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

3 - UC Berkeley

4 - University of Florida

5 - University of Texas at Austin

6 - UC San Diego

7 - Cornell University

8 - University of Georgia

9 - The Ohio State University

10 - University of Wisconsin-Madison

11 - Brigham Young University

12 - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

13 - UC Davis

14 - University of Washington

15 - Texas A&M University

16 - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

17 - Johns Hopkins University

18 - Duke University

19 - Emory University

20 - Rutgers University

No Ivies except for Cornell in Top 20

Got into UIC GPPA and will be committing very soon! Thanks to everyone in this thread, all of your inputs were really helpful throughout the application process!

Thank you @Goldenrock and @Mom22DDS. We are planning to visit Rice on April 22nd week.

@grtd2010: Its surprising, Rice is not in Top 20

@grtd2010 - Counting by absolute numbers is quite misleading as most of these are just huge colleges with top students and will thus sent large number (not large percentage) to med school. Ivies have only ~4000 kids total, except for Cornell, so not a surprise there. It is really difficult to compare colleges by the medical school matriculation as there is no reliable data published. Thereā€™s enough written about how the medical school matriculation rate is fudged at each college.

Points we considered are: average GPAs in pre-med courses, ease of professor access for LORs, pre-med support system, ease of access to volunteering/shadow/research, reputation of school (somewhat). From that perspective, all UCs drop to bottom of consideration. Please ask around a lot about doing pre-meds in UCs as we know too many kids that got washed out there.

Texas has two - UT-Austin and Texas A&M, #20 Rutgers-NB, #4 UF, No UCF, No USF, No Temple, No Drexel, No Pittsburgh, No Univ of Rochester, No Penn State, No RPI etc