***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@natkor I joined last year. No mcat (no change).

hey guys I was just curious if it matters the type of research we do. For example, if someone’s doing psychology research and still interested in the program, does it matter? Or does it have to be something more biological?

@IfnousWHO, thanks for the clarification!

@Beeman, Pitt GAP is scheduled to announce on 4/14.

Biomedical Engineering is a professional degree with great prospects and earning outlook by itself, with or without MD or Brown.

Any dropouts from FAME

@pillows56 Yes, we learned it in a hard way (we were told before that Asian Indians are held at high bar as number of applicants are higher from this ethnicity group especially in the very selective programs like BA/MD!) but though my DD did get in this year in one of the BA/MD programs (Thank God). We thought it would be easier than this! Certainly you have to have highest everything if you are a Asian Indian to get in or for that matter even to get selected for the interview. We found out that this time from insider through my friend, Casewestern’s PPSP (8 year direct medical program) only called Asian Indians who had perfect ACT/SAT and Perfect GPA - Not sure how true it is?) but we saw other races including whites with ACT 32/33 and not perfect GPA were selected as finalist from the same school as my DD for this program!

@WGSK88 I am an Indian American with a 34 ACT and ~3.98 GPA and I got into PPSP Med this year. I think they play a big role in whether or not you get an interview, but not as much after the interview. There were a lot of Indian Americans at the interview though.

@cheegyxd - Congrats! As I stated, how true it was I didn’t know? Good that you were able get into PPSP! One of my friends daughter was there for dental and she said most of the PPSP were Indians!

@WGSK88 @cheegyxd Congratulations. DD did NOT get CWRU PPSP interview with unweighted 4.0 GPA and similar test score. How much merit scholarship they give you for being in PPSP ? It seems that CWRU is eager to admit in regular UG(pre-med) though.

@WGSK88 Thank you! In terms of stats for this years PPSP, they said there were over 2200 applicants. 75 were invited for an interview and 56 people accepted. Apparently only 52 people actually showed up. Since the new SOM will be ready in 2019, they were able to accept around 30 people into the PPSP Med Program. I don’t know how many people they actually accepted though.

@grtd2010 Thanks! I was initially given $27,000 when I was told I was a finalist. In my PPSP acceptance letter I had been given $2,500 more.

@cheegyxd Thanks. They are offering 27k for regular UG(pre-med). Not much of a difference except that you have to go through the medical school admission application process again.

@grtd2010 My daughter was not selected to be finalist for PPSP (ACT: 35; Unweighted GPA: 3.98/4.0; 11 AP courses with 4 and 5’s taken so far; with lot of volunteer work including in the hospital/shadowing Drs/multi-talented classical Indian Dancer will graduate this Summer and Indian classical singer!). But she did get into their BS (pre-med line) with a merit award of $29.5K/year (We are from Illinois). She will be refusing the offer as she accepted the offer from elsewhere for her combined BA/MD program.

@WGSK88 Exactly similar situation here. Last year, CWRU offered PPSP Med admission to a student from her school but the student did not take it. Good Luck with UMKC (BA/MD) for your DD.

@grtd2010 Thank You. My DD loves to be in Chicago. It still beats me why she didn’t get in to UIC’s GPPA?

@WGSK88 Thanks. We will never know how these admission decisions are made. What drives them to choose x over y. The Holistic admission is used to justify them.

Hello, Need input about pros and cons of going to Upenn or BS/md.Thank you

Blaming race solely for getting denied to a BS/MD program is a flawed mentality. One cannot be sure as to what exactly the admissions committee is looking for. As an Asian, I got into 3 BS/MD programs with a “subpar” SAT score. Just wanted to throw my situation out there in case there are other Asian kids who don’t have perfect standardized test scores that are combing through this thread for the upcoming admissions cycle. Just my two cents.

@misophoniax Congratulations on your achievements. Do you know why you got into these three programs ? May be you were just lucky. That can be one logical explanation. May be holistic admission got you in with sub par SAT scores over others with better SAT scores. No one knows except those who admitted you. They will not tell us why they admit x over y. May be it is a just crapshoot.