***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Update: Furman just added a BS/MD program this year for SC residents. It’s a class of 5.

@misophoniax hey can you share your ACT/SAT score and other stats that got you into the Siena/AMC program? I really want to get in next year and I’m trying to do everything I can to make myself a good candidate!

Look at the ‘results thread’ for different years to see the profiles. This person also posted in 2017 cycle.

is it necessary to apply to both feeder schools or can you apply to only 1? Unioon / AMC or RPI/AMC

@njdesimom You need to apply to each feeder school (RPI, Union, Sienna). Later if the app is forwarded and AMC decides, will get notification to apply for the AMC (separate app with $100+ fees for each time).

thank you, I guess we won’t be able to apply. we only meet the requirements for 1 of the feeder schools in terms of GPA (missed it by a fraction).

@njdesimom, As far as I understand, you can apply to one, some or all the feeder schools and depending on whether or not you get the interview calls, if any, and if selected, the applicant can opt which feeder school to attend. The feeder schools have their own policies of who to forward for the medical school consideration. Example that may be particularly relevant in your case, NJMS --> feeder schools: NJIT, Rutgers, TCNJ, Stevens, … Generally people apply to couple of feeder schools where they think they have best shot at getting forwarded for the medical school consideration. Also, if selected, it may make a lot of sense to consider which of the feeder schools are relatively relaxed and which are stringent as far as medical school matriculation is concerned (primarily, GPA, MCAT score, grade deflation at the particular school etc)

@MarkKnam can you tell me your experiences with the UMSI program

I want to apply for Brown PLME, and I don’t see any PLME-specific questions on the Common Application. Where should I find them?

I read the PLME program information page on the Brown website and it doesn’t tell me how I will inform Brown that I’m applying for their program in addition to the college. All I see is “There is only ONE application to Brown and the PLME program.” Does this mean that I don’t have to do anything extra for the program? If that isn’t the case, then how would I let Brown know?

Have you gone through the Brown specific common app? I am sure they prompt you somewhere whether you would be interested in that program and if you answer yes, there will be a supplemental questionnaire and/or essays section that gets enabled that you need to fill up also.

Have any of you guys ever used advisor programs to help you apply to BS/MD programs? I have no idea if “Advisor Prep Education” is legit, but they claim that 25% of all successful applicants to Northwestern’s HPME program received admissions prep from them. Not sure if I should take this with a grain of salt. Is it a scam?

Anyone have any experience with this company, and those who were successful, did you rely on any counselling, or did you just rely on yourself and your passion?

@impressivemediocrity My DS is going through the BS/MD process right now. We applied for the APE Director program but he was rejected, so I don’t think it’s a scam since they didn’t take our money!!

We haven’t decided if we are going to use them should he gets interviews. He has received invitation to baylor 2’s Nov 3 medical track event and right now we’re trying to find out if there is a required interview at this event?

Any applicants from last year want to share their experience of the baylor 2 medical track event?

@Rainiertx For the Baylor 2 Med last year the parents and the students each had their own agendas for the day. For the students they did not have individual interviews but more like group and small group activities and information sessions. They were presented with a current health care issue and if I am remembering correcting they had to follow up with an essay submission. From the group that receives the invitation to attend the Baylor2Med event a very small number is then selected to continue in the process and I think the individual interview starts at that point. Hope this helps!

Hi @RK2017 and anyone who can provide insight. DS is going through the whole bs/md process. Does anyone know If there are more chances getting into NJMS applying through the multiple feeders? DS applied thru all 5 but I was told they only get accepted 1 time. We were guided to apply to all.

@suecollege,

Firstly, there is a new thread for 2018 applicants in case you haven’t noticed yet. That has the latest info on the current proceedings for the current season.

Yes, you can apply to as many feeder schools as you want, which will increase the likelihood of getting forwarded for further consideration by NJMS, but there will be only one NJMS interview/admission. If selected, they give you the flexibility and option to choose the feeder school of your choice.

Each of the feeder schools have their own policies (and possibly their own interview too) of who to forward to NJMS for further evaluation. They will all communicate to you whether or not your application has been forwarded to NJMS or not. Then it is upto NJMS to decide who to call for interview (irrespective of how many feeder schools forwarded the candidacy to them). If eventually selected by NJMS, it is up to the candidate which of the feeder schools to spend the undergrad studying at. A lot of factors go into that decision making such as what fields of study you can undertake for a major, cost of study, financial assistance or scholarship, how one likes the campus and facilities, the toughness of the school i.e. any possible grade deflation etc.

Of all the feeder schools I heard NJIT has been the most generous offering full tuition waiver for 3 years and additional scholarships on top, though it doesn’t have the greatest of campus. May be especially more important a factor for out of state students who end up paying something like 20k more than their in state peers in the medical school portion.
Hope this helps and Good luck!

@Mom22DDs, Is your DD in HBS’s 3+4 years program? How is she liking it? My DD is waiting for the results of 3+$ at HBS. As you mentioned earlier lower GPA issues at HBS, is it still the same? My DD is NMS, UH and Baylor will give her generous scholarship. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

@lrge345 Not sure previous year parents are active any more in CC (except for few).
So suggest you send a PM to that handle. That will trigger an email to that person.

@Mom22DDs, how is your DD doing at HBS’s 3+4 program? My DD has applied for this program and is waiting for the results. How hard is it to maintain 3.7 and above GPA? We are visiting HBS on 3rd of April. My DD is NMS and would be getting a full scholarship at HBS and Baylor for UG. So far she is excellent in her academics with 3.95 unweighted GPA with rigorous academics.Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

@lrge345

If you want to send a PM

1. Click the handle name link of the person.
  2. It will take a page where it shows the person handle and below that 2 buttons, one called ‘MESSAGE’.
  3. click that message and enter the text you want to send in the text box.

For example, @lrge345 I sent a test msg to you.

@lrge345 - my daughter did not go to the HBS 3+4 program, she chose a different 3+4 program, one of the reasons being that she was offered a full ride. However, it was a tough call for her, and she believes she would have been very happy in HBS 3+4 also. Maintaining high GPA is a requirement everywhere, and some schools are slightly tougher than others for high GPA. We tried to find out how it is at HBS but couldn’t, and my daughter felt she would just work harder if it came to that (having a good time in college was a priority for her, but not at the cost of losing her spot). We haven’t heard any parent or student losing their spot in HBS program due to grades, so likely no need to worry too much about that.

Hope that helps.