***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Does SUNY Upstate give preference for in-state students?
Also, what are your thoughts on the Sophie Davis Biomedical Education/CUNY School of Medicine program? I heard it focuses mainly on primary care, is that true?
Union, RPI, or Sienna for AMC program? Advantages and disadvantages of each? Do any of them give a scholarship?

Hello!
Quick question - is it true that UPitt gives full rides to BS/MD students for the undergrad portion of their studies? Thanks in advance!

@imsa2020nv

1. Find the handle name of the student/parent in previous threads who is attending UPitt and post by addressing them. After 15 messges posted by you, you can send a personal message to them directly to get this clarified.
  1. UPitt was the first admission (Sept) my D got few years back with free tuition (not full ride) though she did not get an interview for BS/MD.

My daughter is a rising junior and recently scored 35 on ACT but her writing was only 8. Does that create a negative impression? Is there a way to just submit the composite score but not the writing. She doesn’t want to take ACT/SAT again. Please advice.

Hi all! I am a rising junior, and I intend to shadow some physicians this year. I would like to devote time to shadowing over winter break, but I suppose I could also make some time on the weekends. When would be the best time to email different physicians to see if they are available? I was thinking November, but I want to be sure that there is no waiting list or anything.

@mygrad2021
Not clear if your question is for this forum (BS/MD) or generic in scope.
This is my take. Firstly the “only 8” in writing corresponds to an 88 %ile.
Secondly colleges seem to be using the ELA section score calculated by ACT (as a combination of English, Reading and this writing section) on a 36 scale. As an example I checked the latest common data set of Stanford.
Thirdly the applicants’ high school grades in language classes over an extended period of high schooling and the application essays and writing prompts are likely to carry lot more weight than the evaluation on A single test day by who knows what kind of notorious examiners are grading these ACT essays.
Hope it helps.

@mygrad2021 Her time can be better spent than re-taking ACT. ACT 35 is a competitive score for BA/BS/MD. There is no known formula for success in BA/BS/MD admission process. Apply widely and hope to get a few interviews. A few medical schools may send her secondaries to fill out after primary application is reviewed. She may have to answer essay type questions in secondaries.

Thanks @rk2017 and @grtd2010. My questions is in general how important is writing in ACT for BS/MD admissions. She got a decent composite score in ACT but writing was bad. I just want to make sure if it has an overall impact on her composite score. Is there a way I can get her writing score deleted or not submit but still submit the composite score. She doesn’t want to take the test again and want to focus on other things.

@mygrad2021 Only an admission committee of a medical school can answer your query regarding the writing score. They do require a well articulated personal statement from the candidate. The applications for BS/MD are first pre-screened at UG admission office and a select few are forwarded to medical school. Her energy and time is well spent on other activities than taking ACT again. Please send only ACT 35 score not both SAT and ACT scores.

@mygrad2021
"> My questions is in general how important is writing in ACT for BS/MD admissions. "

I checked out the latest available common data sets of NU and BU, two of these universities offering accelerated pathways. NU hasn’t specified anything other than the composite range for ACT at a university wide statistics (no mention of any sub sections). BU has mentioned the sub section ranges with ACT writing on 36 scale range (not the score you get on 12 range). So they too must be using the same ELA section scores like Stanford as mentioned earlier.

I don’t imagine their BS/MD policy will be any different from their overarching admissions criteria. It will get more specific to the field (ecs, research, background etc) and other personal criteria at the essay and interview levels. I encourage you to check out section C8 C of the common data sets of these two regarding the writing policies, and of any other universities offering these programs that you may be interested in.

Also need to point out some colleges do require the ACT with writing, not necessarily to use it directly per se, but the ELA section score can’t be computed by ACT for those opting out of writing component I believe.

Hi all - question regarding reco letters. Will we need customized reco letters to each school or a General reco letter that hopefully can work to most BSMD apps ?

Thanks - helperdad

@helperdad General reco letter will do.

Thanks @GoldenRock

Another question - is it generally better to go with a Conditional guarantee program OR good undergrad.

I understand the answer is it depends on many factors.

But generally speaking and if kid really wants to be an MD, just an example and for Asian kid - is SLU medical scholars or VCU honors better chance than let’s say UVA or UTAustin undergrad ?

Thanks all

@helperdad Here is my take and each path has its own pros and cons. So depending on your kid’s and your family’s personal situation (including finance) you may decide. Better apply to few BS/MD and Regular UG admissions. Then later in April decide.

1. BS/MD: Apply only if kid is 200% clear, medicine is the career. (Even if 200% clear, assume and expect interest and ideas will change when they do UG and grow and age.)
    Since it is harder for Asian kid, it gives a comfort from the beginning.
    May be it reduces 1 year (if 7 year program).
    Many program’s (UG) may not be top tier (unlike if the kid has gone with just UG path)
    Many BS/MD programs are too expensive for 7 years and there is chance the kid may get a better break for both UG and to some extent MD if going via regular .
    May or may not have to take MCAT (treat it as a minor point, all the BS/MD kids are very capable and can score decent in MCAT)
  2. Regular UG: If not 200% sure about MD.
    More choices and kid can choose whatever school.
    Helps to explore and understand better to decide the major after a year or two.
    Probable to control the cost better than BS/MD.
    It is not that impossible to get MD, as long as the kid is focused and ready to put in efforts.
    At the worst case, take gap year and still achieve the goal.

@helperdad

I would like to refer you to the proceedings of last year (2019) on this forum. There were many contributors presenting different angles, views and factors and it is worth going through them if you haven’t already. Even though there were record number of posts of the order of thousands, should not take more than a week’s time for you to cover them all. If you want, you can even jot down the relevant post number (or page numbers) in the thread for you to revisit and reflect upon in due course of time.

With reference to the two schools you mentioned, both are known to be tough schools with a lot of competition to get those small percentages of As in those classes. So you need to think about how well your kid is prepared for college rigor (just going by high school GPA is not enough, considering the wide range of standards and rigor landscape at high school level). You have to come to a decision as a family since no one knows your situation as perfectly as you do and can advise accordingly.

Sharing our own situation, even though we were pretty confident that the kid would do quite well in college (which is the case as it has unfolded for the past couple of years) and had what it takes to go to say Johns Hopkins or Stanford kind of med school going the traditional route, we still supported her decision to go to the BS/MD route since that program was her top choice in this realm.

@rk2017, Thank you so much the Common Data Set information. I never knew that. It’s really helpful to do some research on colleges.

@GoldenRock and @rk2017

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Yes completely understand that there are various factors to consider and ultimately it would boil down to personal and family decision. Yes , as a stressed out parent of a hard working Asian kid who is 200% hoping to be an MD one day, I have been spending time on CC etc to identify any relevant helpful details.

@rk2017 - is your comment regarding high difficulty on obtaining As in the course work - about the conditional programs like SLU Medical scholars OR about regular good undergrad like UVA ?

Just to give a better sense from our side - my S is a raising Junior with 4.0 GPA, 35 ACT, reached state level on music, 200 hours of medical related volunteering or shadowing complete. Preparing to cover SAT, research etc over the next year. But I noticed on CC and my personal network that all Asian kids that got into Guaranteed programs have either a next to impossible profile (national level awards or published research or international volunteer etc) or are from Doctors family or both. My S would not meet this criteria so I was thinking ahead in case the option boils down to Conditional V.S. regular route.
Good news - we have at least 18 months to stress out on that decision :slight_smile:

Thanks all

@helperdad
You are way ahead than many kids/parents. But your S in the right track.
FYI. We have no connections to any one in Medicine field. Also not familiar with UG application process. Nor my D was willing to spend a dime for any assistance from any one.
She does not like competing and hence not a state or national level award winner in any thing.
She did not have any shadowing or EMT or anything in health care field, except she volunteered 150 hours for a local hospital.
Still she got BS/MD but still she went thru the regular MD app process including MCAT and so far every thing worked out for the better.
So let him do whatever he does with passion and focus and he will prevail. GL.

thanks @GoldenRock

Your note is like a breadth of fresh air , blowing against the mountain of hurdles seemingly stacked against the Asians in this journey for MD :-). May the force be with you and your D :-).

Yes definitely allowing both my kids to choose their careers and lives. Just sharing our experiences with them as parents who are giving up everything for them.

Looking forward to learning and sharing in the next 5 to 10 years. !!!