***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@helperdad

Sorry about the confusion, I was referring to UVA and UT Austin regular route. Some of other notoriously tough public schools, and tougher than these two, being UCB and UCLA and on private side Cornell, Princeton and WashU (you will find more info in the thread I referred). Kids who had been top students all through their schools find themselves to be average Joes in such places. So one has to be careful where they are heading, if going traditional route. Also many colleges, even the most prestigious ones, seem to inflate the %ages of their students and alumni (with gap years) making it to med schools. So kind of challenging to figure it all out and make the right choice.

Thanks @rk2017

@helperdad

Yes I remember from 2019 thread, it seems VCU having two programs, guaranteed and conditional. But lately the conditional program at VCU seems to have gotten flimsy by the day , since the admissions committee finding the kids coming through that path aren’t on par with the traditional route folks at the med school and that they have been offering that pathway to fewer and fewer students. Remember reading similar comments in that thread. You can search in that thread for “VCU” to find relevant posts and private message the poster(s) for more first hand information (if and when you have crossed 15 posts here, for that option to be activated)

@helperdad Please apply both in BS/MD and UG programs. Make the selection when the time comes. You seem to have many misconceptions about BS/MD process. This whole process is very unpredictable and one can not make generalization based on a small sample size. Most BS/MD programs have conditions on GPA and/or MCAT score for matriculation to medical school.

@helperdad FYI, D had a few BS/MD admissions as well as regular UG admissions from places like UT Austin(Computer Science) and UCB(Computer Science). She could have pursued pre-requisites for medical school at UCB or UT Austin.

Thanks @grtd2010

@GoldenRock I was looking to apply for some BS/MD programs this year, as I am a rising senior. Do you know if you could give me some suggestions as to where I should apply that would match with my grades and academics?

@Spectral See my previous posts listing BS/MD programs.
Apply to few BS/MD and regular UG since it is hard to predict the outcome of BS/MD program admission.

How many BS/MD programs do you believe is the optimal amount for the highest chances of getting into one of them? @GoldenRock

@helperdad - As @goldenrock ssid it’s tougher for asian kids to get into medical schools but not an impossible task. As I stated in previous years thread, if a kid got 4.0 gpa from a challenging program and was able to achieve state or national level results in any ECs, traditional route is not a bad path. If the goal is any medical school at any cost and counting 1 year salary by doing 7 year program then focus on getting more medical related experiences next few months snd apply widely.

My son declined 2 BSMDs and opted for traditional path with full tuition scholarship 2 tears back and so far having great time . GL!

@srk2017
Just curious and I hope you won’t mind being asked, assuming if your son did not have the full tuition offer at hand (as many with great credentials don’t), what would have been his next option?
(We had that covered for the kid even before we knew the outcomes of all the applications)

There are probably less than 20 BS/MD programs, apply to all to maximize your chance.

Just remember most people don’t even get any interview from BS/MD, so traditional way is still the majority, and many people are even taking gap years.

@Spectral It varies. If parent has the money and student has the time, apply as many as you want. In general, around 10 for BS/MD and another 5 or so for just regular UG.

Asking again:

1. Does SUNY Purchase/SUNY Upstate give preference for in-state students?
  2. What are your thoughts on the Sophie Davis Biomedical Education/CUNY School of Medicine program? I heard it focuses mainly on primary care, is that true?

@rk2017 - I don’t mind answering
at all ?. He would have attended U Penn without Vandy scholarship. His initial choice was JHU BME but given how tough is to get 3.8+ GPA I discouraged him.

There are actually around 61 programs I believe. I am having trouble narrowing them down even further, because my list is currently at 25 which was why I was looking for help from someone who was experienced. They could be the judge as to which ones are way out of my reach and are a waste of time to apply to if they saw my resume and stats. @Andorvw @GoldenRock

That seems to be a fair 2nd option.
Many in kid’s high school batch turned down acceptances to UC Berkeley and Georgia Tech, guess primarily due to grading concerns, besides high financial costs for OOS.

Yes, both are bad choices for premeds. DS got regents scholarship at UCB which gives priority registration and personal faculty advisor but I still felt it’s risky.

@spectralfish
Share your details so that others can respond with their best guess for a list of programs where you may have a chance.

@helix8 - all SUNY’s have in-state preference. Be careful with Sophie Davis program, if you can’t handle the accelerated science courses/decide not to pursue medicine you will not get undergrad degree there and the attrition rate is high (even for some top students from Stuyvesant)
read up the horror stories on SDN for kicked-out kids.