***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Mt.Sinai has a special program where UG student from any college can apply for their EAP. In general EAP programs are for their particular UG students only. In general EAP UG schools have their own medical colleges. In Mt.Sinai, it is only a medical school and they offer EAP (and not UG) for any UG students. Naturally it will be more competitive than EAP when the net is spread wide.

@rk2017 - good question, and thatā€™s the beauty of EAP because EAP is not managed by AMCAS (regular med school application cycle). So technically you can apply to as many EAPs as you like and youā€™re never labeled as ā€œre-applicantā€ as in AMCAS. And the applicant pool is much smaller so your chance is higher (particular if there is in-state preference)ā€¦ except Mt. Sinai is super-competitive.

conquer that, know a student from UofI in Urbana-Champaign Bio Engineering student did that.

@Andorvw you bring some new perspective about EAP program. Do you have info of EAP programs those allow transfer/admission from other schools besides Mt Sinai?

@PPofEngrDr - not sure if I understand your question clearly. Most EAPs donā€™t require you coming from certain undergrad schools (at least the ones I know of)ā€¦ this is totally different from BS/MD. There is no transfer involved. You apply as a college sophomore or junior with certain courses requirement (listed by each EAP), GPA and some ECā€™s. Freshman and senior are out of question. Maybe we can view it this way - BS/MD is the option for high school senior while EAP is the option for college sophomore/junior.

@Andorvw I thought most EAPs are tied to their respective medical college. e.g. SLU UG is tied to SLU SOM, not Mt. Sinai. So a student from a state public school canā€™t simply apply to SLU SOM through EAP, rather they have to get into SLU UG first. From the scenario you described earlier, it sounds like a student in a state public school UG can apply to number of EAP programs (this is the list I am asking), concurrently/sequentially and may get a potential admission to SOM.

I guess there are some programs like Toledo for example that @Andorvw mentioned, having some kind of articulation with multiple undergrad institutions for EAP, just not with their own alone. But myself donā€™t know much details about how many such programs out there and also believe such tie ups they may have with such arrangements has to be limited in number and scope.

Hey, I was wondering if you guys could proofread my list of BS/MD programs (no EAP). Please let me know if there are any that I forgot to include, or if any of these arenā€™t BS/MD programs!

Brown University
Northwestern University
Case Western University
Rice University
Baylor University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
George Washington University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Union College
Siena College
University of Missouri-Kansas City
St. Bonaventure University
The College of New Jersey
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Rutgers University - Newark
Drew University
Duquesne University
Boston University
Penn State University
California Northstate School of Medicine
Drexel University
Hofstra University
University of Cincinnati
University of Connecticut
Stevens Institute of Technology
Florida Atlantic University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of South Florida
Stony Brook University
Florida State University
Howard University
Westchester University
University of Delaware
Oklahoma University
OK-Tulsa
Caldwell University
Montclair State University
Rosemont University
Augusta University
University of South Alabama
University of Alabama-Birmingham

Temple is a BS/MD program and is missing. It is not an EAP program since you get admitted as a high school senior. NJMS has multiple feeder schools to MD. Getting into any one of these BS/MD program is not a guaranteed seat in medical school at the time of admission in UG. Also include the GPA and MCAT score required to matriculate into medical school.

You missed WashU

@grtd2010 , I donā€™t believe TEMPLE is a BS/MD program, but rather a hybrid since you do apply as a high schooler, but it only guarantees you an interview to the medical school rather than guaranteeing you a seat at the medical school as long as you have a high enough GPA and MCAT. I may be wrong though, please let me know and I will include it on the list.

@spectral There no definitions as guaranteed, or hybrid. These are just individual opinions. By your logic, none of these guarantee you anything until you meet certain conditions. None of these are guaranteed as per logic of associated conditions on them.

@rk2017 @Andorvw
I meant NYCOM as in D.O. program in Old Westbury, NY. This medical school attracts many high caliber students from such school as Brown and JHU. It is interesting to note that their residency placement rates stayed the same at 99% for 2011-12 and 2018-19 classes. However, MD residency placements increased from 144 to 249, whereas, DO residency numbers decreased from 113 to 34 during those periods.

here is data from AAMC matriculation data for 2018 cycle and it has some useful info about various experiences starting from mid-school under item 7, page 8.
https://www.aamc.org/download/494044/data/msq2018report.pdf

EVERYONE please take a deep breath.
The overall acceptance rate for pre-meds to a medical school is NOT 2%, nor 5%, nor 20% but whooping 41.9% during the aggregate period from 2017-18 through 2018-19.
This is because most students apply to many and many and many medical schools.
However, it is interesting to note that the acceptance rate of medical students with GPA greater than 3.79 with MCAT scores greater than 517 was not over 90%, but rather stayed at 88.8%. Therefore, 11.2 % of them needed to take a gap year even with those stellar stats! Hence, the average age of first year med students in the US is 24.
To simplify argument for these combined programs, you can argue that as long as one obtains required GPA/MCAT scores (some programs only have GPA requirements), it is pretty much ā€œguaranteedā€ that the student will be matriculating into that medical school, whereas, it is NOT guaranteed that you will get into a medical school even with high stats with regular medical school admissions. However, if you donā€™t mind doing a gap year or two or three, I am confident that the most of College Confidential crowd will ultimately get into a medical school by choosing undergraduate programs carefully.
Good luck everyone!

just to add to above, total number of applicants in a given year are ~51000 that generates some ~800K total applications averaging ~16 applications per applicant.
Also median age at matriculation remains 23 for last 3 years as per above posted link.

Table A-6: Age of Applicants to U.S. Medical Schools at Anticipated Matriculation
by Sex and Race/Ethnicity, 2014-2015 through 2017-2018

@Spectral Drexel University is not a BS/MD program anymore. It may be an EAP. Check their website for more info. Drexel recently lost all their residencies (funded positions.by medicare), although DexelSOM is there.
You should be open to regular route than taking any BS/BA/MD position.

@grtd2010 to my knowledge Hahnemann situation is only affecting current residents, however Drexel already has planned relationship with Tower health, it sounds like future applications are safe, but certainly have own checks and balances before accepting the admission. With latest news about Hahnemann, somehow Temple and other players in the region syndicate against Tower and outbid Tower health from 7.5m to 55m for ~500 resident slots. Lots of ambiguity and unprecedented events are taking place and hopefully air is cleared by the time next application cycle students ready for SOM and resident years in another 7~8 years.

@Spectral Do you know @GoldenRock 'D was in a BA/MD ( OUā€™s MHSP) but applied via regular route and now attending a medical school in Texas (UTSW, I believe). She left the BA/MD program.
ā€™