***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@rara_avis There is no one single formula for BS/MD success and the sample size is very small on CC. The best strategy seems to be: 1. Applying widely to BS/BA/MD programs 2. Be open to regular route from a good UG program. Remember 95% of MD admissions are via regular route. An excellent UG GPA and a good MCAT score are very important for regular route, so choose the UG school carefully.

Most EAP programs will tell you whether you are successful or not, only during or after 2nd year. It usually takes 2 years to complete pre-med pre-requisites. It may be too late to transfer out after two years. One may as well apply via regular route at the end of 3rd year.

@srk2017 The reality is every year, there are going to be students who are directly moving from UG to MD and there are students with gap years. Gap years students are common and will continue for many different reasons.

1. Bulk of them are non-trad students
  2. Students who on their own want to take gap years either
    A. to do a year for various scholarship like Fulbright or Rhodes
    etc (just few students)
    B. simply wanted to take a gap year before jumping in to the fire for the next few years (just few students)
    C. Students who could not allocate sufficient time during UG to take care of EC (and still maintain solid GPA) and hence allocating time for EC
    D. Students who damaged GPA and hence want to do more courses to improve GPA (courses in UG or post-bacc or SMP). This is a slowly gaining sizable numbers.

Last week we went to drop our D at her school. Heard 2 of her UG school mates directly moving from UG to MD. One went for a year on Fulbright to Europe. Met a TX boy who went to UofChicago and wanted to take a gap year to spend time with his GF in east coast before jumping in this grueling medicine education. Near my home there is a girl who went to MIT for UG and directly moved to UCSF with no gap year. 2 C & 2D are students who had some hit in their GPA or needed some time to adjust in UG and may be in a school where they are not in the top 25% like Ivy/Top schools and had some hit in GPA.
See various profiles of all the above categories in SDN posts.

@GoldenRock can’t disagree on that, very good summary. As we know life is not so simple and doesn’t always go as planned, hence fall into one of buckets.

@GoldenRock - I am just surprised by the sample presented with no mention of anyone going direct to MD. I understand there are several different reasons for gap years and I am not vehemently opposed to gap years like some. Fear of gap years make some parents strongly advocate for BSMD.

Just to repeat Iron man triathlon or triple marathon analogy, Initial marathon starting in high school to get into some fancy college, 2nd marathon, for some if not all, attending the most challenging colleges, is just to keep the nose above the water. Third marathon, the rigors of med school, competing with others to get into get residency and what not.
So most likely break is after the first two before getting into the final one.
I was looking at some web site on New York state based med schools, the competition is so intense, matriculation rate of something like 2.5% overall (1800 out of 82000 applicants, of course the acceptance rates are not mentioned but guess 2 to 3 times that much, but still very low. Not citing the link here)

medical school (or UG) acceptance or matriculation rates became self fulfilling prophecy. with schools actively promoting these numbers people are applying to more colleges just to be sure. Applying to 25+ schools (UG or medical) is a norm which was unheard before.

@GoldenRock
on what basis do you say RJMS is better than SUNY med schools?

On the FAU website, it says that the deadline for students to accept a position in the Medical Pipeline program (the BS/MD program) is in March. Is this true, because the people from last year’s thread did not make the decision until later.

Saw some good discussion on EAP (early assurance), wanted to add my 2 cents.

In general, you apply to EAP during sophomore year (e.g., Mt. Sinai FlexMed), at end of sophmore year (e.g., SUNY Upstate) or junior year (e.g., Toledo MedStart). You can be in any undergrad, any major but some med schools do give in-state residency preference (e.g., SUNY Upstate). Each EAP has its own target/requirement, e.g., Mt Sinai looks for humanity students.

Comparing EAP to regular med school application cycle, EAP requires less EC’s (you only finish 1-2 years undegrad, how much EC’s can you complete). EAP locks you into one school (you can still apply out but you’ll lose your spot). Some EAP not requires MCAT (Mt Sinai) but most EAPs do require MCAT. All EAPs have GPA requirements after they accepted you but most are typically reasonable (e.g, 3.5 for Upstate). Most important, EAP gives you ease of mind for your remaining 1-2 college years so you can enjoy your “undergrad experience” more.

EAP is NOT for everyone, it is more suited for students with strong first 2 years of college (GPA) and particular weak/no interest in research. Most EAPs are not “top-ranked” (ie, research-heavy), so it is not suited for top school chasers.

So hypothetical, you can apply to Mt Sinai during winter of sophomore year, if not get-in then you apply to Upstate at end of sophomore year and if not get-in you apply to Toledo in junior year and IF still not get-in, you apply to regular cycle at end of junior year (
ie, you can get 3 shots at EAP + regular cycle) for pre-meds who don’t want gap year(s).

@upstream - thanks for the update.
Surprise to see applicant with good stats (3.75 GPA/ 514 MCAT) only got into DO school (NYCOM) with 2 yrs of gap. For all pre-meds (and parents), don’t look down at EAPs
 at least they’re all MD schools
 and you get to enjoy your junior/senior college years AND NO gap year(s).

I believe @upstream may have meant New York Medical College (in Valhalla/MD)?

There are no guarantees in BS/MD programs until one has a white coat ceremony in a Medical School. Most folks looking for BS/BA/MD are risk-averse individuals who are trying to minimize perceived risks. There are just different degrees of obstacles on way to becoming a MD. These are manifested as sGPA/cGPA, MCAT score, medical-ECs, interviews, Casper test etc. Even when one becomes a board-certified MD, there is no end to risks and conditions for continued practice.

Little confused about Temple BSMD program. Does this guarantee admission to MD if academic requirements (MCAT, GPA and volunteering etc.) are met? They seem to require an interview at the end of BS. Can they reject some during the interview process? Does anyone know how many of them get rejected after the interview? Please share any details if you are familiar with this program.

@Andorvw
Kind of confused, you mean students can have 3 shots at EAP from the same undergrad school? Which undergrad school (s) is that? Don’t they have articulation agreements with a limited set of schools?

@rscarlet Please call (215) 204-2513 and ask specific questions to an acdemic advisor. No one here can tell you any better. There are no guarantees in any BS/MD programs. You have to meet conditions every where except there are only different degrees of these conditions. Please call specific programs when in doubt and get the direct answer.
Temple has (3+4) and (4+4) options. Every thing happens in junior year. In (3+4) program you start medical school at the end of junior year and finish UG degree after completing your MS-1. They transfer some of your MS-1 credits to UG program to complete the UG required credits. The (4+4) program is like regular route. One starts MS-1 after finishing UG degree.

@rscarlet
I think @GreenPoison answered this earlier in this thread, though I believe no statistics shared/available.

@rscarlet FYI, Most Temple PPHS successful candidates in past had full-tuition scholarship for 4- years.
If you are worried, scratch Temple out of your list. It may be too risky for you. It all depends upon your risk-apetite. Its GPA and MCAT requirements are higher than BU’s SMED and PSU(Thomas Jefferson). You would be better off at BU SMED or PSU or NU HPME or PLME if you are lucky to get in anyone of these.

Both of the other programs mentioned above are 5-10 times more competitive to get into (hence popular), going by the number of applicants, and they don’t offer merit awards to most of the matriculants.

@rscarlet Read my post #241 and specifically addressed about your question related to Temple. Fully agree with @grtd2010 posts. Nothing is risk free and every student and family tolerance and finance differs.
Personally I feel more comfortable to take risk on what student can control than what they can not control. From that point, interview is more subjective and student don’t have a good control. That is why I classified Temple in Hybrid and not BS/MD or EAP. Also it depends on your location, for CA vs some one closer to Temple in east coast. Nothing to complain if they give free tuition for UG.