***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hey guys, quick question. Can I apply to both Baylor/Baylor and Rice/Baylor BSMD programs? Some guy on CC from 2007 said that you can’t but the websites for both programs don’t say anything about it. Someone also said that Baylor/Baylor was reserved for Texans but on their website it says that you just need to be a US citizen/permanent resident.

Thanks!

@SairacUchiha Best to call both Rice and Baylor and gets this clarified.
If my memory holds good, some one in previous year threads mentioned you can apply only to 1 program. But during 2016, there was no restriction.
But do your due dilgience based on your student and your family and decide if you are ok with Baylor UG.
Note, though the name is Baylor, Baylor Medical college has nothing to do with Baylor University. Baylor school is religious.
Also Baylor BS/MD program has a wacky need to go their 2 times in person. It may be realistic for Texas or nearby states students and not for CA students when have to miss classes multiple days and multiple times.
So many things go in to making your list to apply.

@SairacUchiha
Yes, you can apply to both Baylor/Baylor and Rice/Baylor.
Baylor undergrad school is in WACO Texas and classified as private religious school.
Baylor Medical School takes 6 students each from Baylor undergrad and Rice undergrad.

Comment: Less than 5% if students getting in medical school come through BS/MD route.

Reason: Less than 5% medical seats are offered as BS/MD seats. If medical school start offering more seats, this percentage can increase as there is no dearth of demand.

Cheapest Medical schools - these are in Texas for Texas residents.

@upstream @rk2017
GAP Year:
The 11.2% stats for gap year for all medical schools.
Northwestern has indicated that 23% of the incoming medical school class had >2 gap years.
The conclusion I draw from this is that for the Top 30 medical schools this gap year ratio is probably in the 30-40% range.

@srk2017
Re: your post #311.

One more reason to add - at the Top medical schools, you are competing with gap year students who have used that/those year(s) to strengthen their profile. Northwestern had nearly a quarter of their class with 2 or more gap years. My estimate is that top medical schools ratio of matriculating students who are straight out of undergrad school is around 60%. You may be part of that 60% or you may not be.
With BS/MD, if you get admission, your chance is now 100% (without a gap year).

@NoviceDad - I know we had the discussion about gap years in 2019 thread :smile: Yes, gap years are becoming more common, but some take gap years purposely to either strengthen their apps for T20 or get some industry experience. Majority take due to GPA issues or lack of time for ECs or MCAP prep time. Ideally you should take first 2 categories out but hard to get numbers. I know two kids personally who both differed their admissions (i.e. applied while in college, got admitted and school allowed them to matriculate next year) to work for a year since they want do more than just practice medicine.

“With BS/MD, if you get admission, your chance is now 100% (without a gap year)” - means not willing to take any chance i.e. risk aversion :wink:
I love to debate you and @rk2017 , don’t take it personally.

@NoviceDad Believe as per one of AAMC report, ~63% of matriculating students have atleast one gap year.

More students are taking gap year now. Here is from Harvard Crimson:
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/2/25/medical-applicants-time-off/
“Over the past decade, the gap between the number of alumni and senior applicants has only grown, with 82 seniors and 204 alumni applicants in 2013.”
“When I was a student, 80 to 85 percent of people at Harvard Medical School came directly out of college,” Mayer said. “I’ve been in the role of leading admissions for about 11 years. [When I first started], about 60 percent were coming out of college. Now, it’s about 35 percent.”

@PPofEngrDr
63%? how does this match up with the 11.2% from the latest report?
Medical schools should start publishing this data. Very few do now.
Earlier this summer I had spent time looking for that data and found it was very frustrating and not yielding results.

From Johns Hopkins:
https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/preprofadvising/pre-medhealth/medical-school-application-trends-outcomes/
“Students are applying later to medical and dental school. Nationally, over half of the applicants to medical school take at least one year prior to matriculating. This trend appears to be even more striking at Johns Hopkins, where recent patterns demonstrate that over 80% of first time applicants to medical school take at least one gap/bridge year between graduating from Johns Hopkins and applying to medical school.”

@sanne
Since you are an ORM (Over-represented minority), your SAT score is borderline.
Try to give SAT again and up your score or trying giving ACT and get >=34.

@dadofd
Those are very useful stats.
Aligns with what @PPofEngrDr said.

Not sure what 11.2% you are referring, I was just reading within last few days on another site heavily used by student doctors and there were few links posted where it talks about GAP year simple table and that had data, trying to find that link and if find will post here.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

Better yet, refrain from debate. At this point, I’ll just delete posts that violate the rules and warn the offenders.

@PPofEngrDr
You are correct - as per AAMC Official Guide to Medical School Admissions – it is about 60%. Wow! I had it reverse.

Myth: Most students go straight from college to medical school.
Fact: Taking at least one gap year is the norm. More than half (59.9 percent) of 2015 matriculating medical students indicated in the AAMC’s “Matriculating Student Questionnaire” that there was a gap of at least one year between their college graduation and matriculation to medical school. Keep in mind, this does not mean it is the best choice for everyone, and how you choose to spend your gap year can make a big difference in how a medical school perceives that time off. Learn more about gap years.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/advisors/article/fact-or-fiction-reviewing-data-official-guide-medi/

courtesy from other site.
Page 12, bullet 16
https://www.aamc.org/download/494044/data/msq2018report.pdf

JHU is known for grade deflation hence they more of their graduates take gap years. Another factor could be they want to target T20 schools.

The reason most medical schools don’t have BSMD is they see no need to have those programs and some who had them closed them (USC, UCSD, UTSW, Miami etc…)