***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

It was pretty meaning less why they even had these programs for whatever duration, with single digits strengths/intakes/slots. Below certain critical mass any program can’t have a meaningful existence or purpose it will serve. I will never be able to understand why they even started them to begin with. And don’t bother to explain.

Which of the current ptograms contribute more than 10% to medical school other than Brown and AMC? Most medical school class size is around 150 students and most BSMD programs have less than 20 students per year.

For example BU fills only 10% thru BSMD.
https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/admissions/introduction-to-busm/class-profile/

BS/MD programs give many young students a CHOICE at early stage, and also provide diversity to the medical school student bodies. It has been win-win to many universities/medical schools. But since the competitions into the medical schools have become more and more cut-throat, the BS/MD programs become less attractive to medical schools, and many have walked away from the programs. That would be the trend for the future.

How will they provide diversity? with more and more and taking gap years, age difference may increasing between BSMD and traditional route.

10% is far more meaningful than say 3% (5/150). Besides, that batch somehow had the least number entering from that route for whatever reasons. The 2021 batch will have about 30 BS/MD students entering med school, give or take.

@srk2017 Diversity here means that most of those BS/MD students can freely pursue their own interests, different majors, different social and academic activities; all with the luxury of guarantee to medical school after undergraduate study. Traditional pre-med path in general would push students into the same mold.

I can see that being the intent of BSMD programs i.e. have few free birds (since we all love to use bird analogy :slight_smile: ) with no fixed routes. However with traditional route also, major doesn’t play any role in the medical school admissions (except for the new school in IL which targeted for those with engineering/technology background) .

My guess for some of the schools cancelling the BSMD programs is the increased difference between the experiences of traditional applicants vs BSMD students due to gap years.

I thought BU’s expected intake is 20 and they offer admissions to 35-40. If more than 20 matriculate, they cut the number of traditional route admissions for that class.

Yeah and thought I mentioned earlier too, the expected enrollment is ~20 and accordingly they (BU) extend offers for ~40, but in the most recent cycle that I am aware of (2018), it jumped to 31 (out of 38 they offered). Any one aware of the 2019 stats can fill in here.

I won’t be commenting on BSMD vs traditional path until parents/kids ask for their own situation. As I said before if you are heavily invested in BSMD process (i.e. spent lot of time on volunteering, research, shadowing, foreign missions, paid consultants, applied heavily etc…) and don’t have any financial constraints then go for it. If you want to explore, aim for T10 schools or cheaper schools or not 100% sure about medicine then go traditional path. To get into top schools you may need to take 1 or 2 gap years and that’s another factor to consider.

@srk2017 Regarding T20
there are 3 bsmd programs which are T20. Does it matter if it is T10 or T20 ?

@mi2019 - For most people it doesn’t matter if it’s T1 or T150 :smile: I just gave T10 as an example. Out of 3, WashU has very high GPA/MCAT requirements, UPitt has high GPA but people says easily achievable. Only Northwestern seems to be balanced and regarded as the best program by most.

Likewise … But not before making couple of observations:

• Going to T medical school (as determined by who?) is no Mantra to Nirvana. It is the same grind, in fact even more intense, all over again. If one ends up in some fancy med school, chances are he/she will find self amongst equal or higher calibered peers at the highest possible bar and it can be quite challenging to shine. It is not uncommon to hear of burn out and crash cases. Conversely I have known so many cases of people reaching for the sky from no where near these "top T" schools. Brand name can take one only to certain extent when it comes to residencies, fellowships or other further pursuits.
  • As someone said in the past about choosing the under grad, one may do self a favor by going to a med school with excellent facilities and faculty but slightly below one's own perceived level (as judged by peers, MCAT & gpa levels, general impression, residency placements etc)
  • Know of students in D's accelerated program who went there with no merit awards, having given up decent BS/MD instate programs, even with full rides for the undergrad portions. Even in this forum we come across such instances in the results threads of latest and past few years. Also some of these programs are generous with financial aid, at least up until the undergrad level, for those who qualify based on family incomes. So the difference may in some cases may well be ~100k range in total, that too in the the last 4 years at some of these relatively more expensive private med schools. So no need to rule out anything. Lot of factors go into one's decision making.

I always said each candidate (and family) have to make their own decision.
Some likes to be continuously challenged and thrive, otherwise gets bored but some gets burned out under pressure. So candidates and parents should do self assessment. If earnings is primary objective T1 or T150 won’t make a difference.
So whoever applying this cycle, apply broadly (both BSMd and UG) and wait till March to have these debates.

here are my creds
3.95 Unweighted GPA 4.6 weighted
1570 sat
no act
10 APs-- 8 5s, rest 4s
sat 2 math 800, sat chem 800, sat Biology 800, sat physics 780,
honor roll, AP scholar, others and etc
Awards and honors, 6th place at study camp CHEMISTRY OLYMPIAD, 2nd alternate for the international team. Science olympiad 2 golds. Robotics team, 3rd in states. National merit scholarship semi
EC, 100 hours mayo clinic electrophysiology research, Pre-med club(founder, president), science olympiad team (Team Captain), quiz bowl, (Captain), robotics team (Captain), Advanced Chem Club (founder, president). (I also made a ping pong club at my school, but it was just for fun so I probably won’t be including it)
150+ volunteer hours, half spent tutoring kids in math, another half in chemistry. I tutored kids in math, mostly elementary school.
Rec letters from a top cardiologist at mayo clinic, CHEM teacher, Principle of the school
Went to Thomas Jefferson high school for science and technology. (TJHSST)
hope that’s enough guys

@rkalahasty
Good profile on academics, test scores, research, various activities, competitions etc., At this point in application cycle, just focus on your primary and secondary essays and interview preparation. Also identify the list of programs / school you would like to apply.
If you have already done any EC where you have patient or clinical staff interaction or serving under-served population it will be good to mention in your app. If not explore if you can do anything in the next month or two before applying.
Apply broadly to few BS/MD and regular UG programs.

@rkalahasty
Any summer research programs, publication(s) (including in TJ’s own journal), conference presentation or industry exposure (in Robotics etc) ?

I am about to become a senior and really wanna get accepted into a BS/MD program, whether it be 7 or 8 years. I got a 1390 on the SAT, and have a 4.6 weighted GPA. I do a lot of volunteering but they are not medical related. I got a 690 on my Biology Subject SAT. I know I am not the smartest but wanted to know if I had a shot at any of the programs in NJ or NY.

@rh2k14 Your SAT score is just not high enough, most programs have a cutoff SAT score and to my knowledge no program will even look at your application. I would usually advise you to try and raise your SAT score, but I think it’s too late if your already a senior as you would be applying in the next couple of months.

@Undecided3494 , I was thinking the same thing. I have just enough time so I am going to take the SAT one last time. I will probably apply to the BS/MD at Temple, Drexel, and Sophie Davis and pray. Lmao if not I will go undergraduate like normal premed students.