***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Of the 3 programs mentioned, I believe UpState has the highest amount of annual research grants. You may want to search this thread for nih for the link I shared some time ago and look at the funding of each institution. This may help one gauge the kind of exposure one may get at each of those.

Also location wise, perhaps Upstate/Syracuse is most desirable. For those that don’t mind urban living Brooklyn may be ok, but some people tend to be concerned about security. As per some posting earlier by some one attending there, Sophie Davis is in the middle of nowhere and facilities weren’t good.

@mememom

1. Any language it is useful to do at least 4 to 5 years.
  2. For medical profession in US, Spanish is useful & practical benefit due to demographics of patient as well as hospital staff speaking Spanish.

Along with the above said, try to get ur D into Doctor shadowing,Volunteering in hospitals and some research projects for the next four yrs.as the medical school also want to see if the candidate have shown interest in healthcare.

How is Stony Brook interview like? Thanks!

Dc has a question pertaining to NJMS and how many they take per high school. Does NJMS limit the amount of students they take from each high school? If so, would there be max one or two students per each hs throughout the six feeder schools or would they allow each feeder school to have a kid or two from a certain hs? Thanks!!

I doubt there is any one except NJMS folks who can truthfully answer this. I guess they do limit the maximum number of intake from each high school (BS/MD).

@BAMDHopeful did you receive interview invite for stony Brook?

Spanish is certainly more useful for a MD than a dead language like Latin. One can get AP credit in college for Spanish.

do you have an invite from Stony Brook?

Thank you!

7 kids in DD’s HS have 7 year of Spanish under their belt by graduation. 3 years from middle school. They took level 4 in 9th grade. Go figure what some of them want to be? Doctors. :blush:

Email invitation out yesterday

@BAMDHopeful Congrats for the invite!

Has anyone else gotten any news from Stony Brook

@grtd2010 Thank you!!

@BAMDHopeful Congrats!

According to experts on SDN and surveys, medical schools don’t value language skills. However few schools do value strong Spanish skills (should be ready to face interview in Spanish) and helped my friend’s kid with lower GPA. My S is volunteering as Spanish interpreter. Let’s see how it will help him next cycle.

Speaking of Spanish, My S is also doing Spanish minor. Its usefulness will depend on what career route one seeks post medical education. Fact is, Dr speaking language same as patient native language, gives patient great comfort.

@BAMDHopeful congratulations.
Which honors college of stony brook you applied to ? Thank you in advance.

@bsmdparent1234, I am not sure on Brooklyn college if they will send you rejections.