***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Did she get an email or snail mail ?

Yes by Mail , Also you the student can call the office and they will infirm if they made it or not.

@kr2017

I canā€™t speak for other high achieving kids.

My daughter had to take MCAT three times to get over the 514 hump. She had SAT 1540, ACT 35 as a high schooler. So I sincerely know there might not be as strong of a correlation as people want to think, especially those who say my kids are National Merit, therefore, they will do well on MCAT.

It ainā€™t so.

So at USF, you essentially have one shot at getting 515 (516 next year, future bench mark might go higher). I might be shaking in my boots.

@bsmdparent1234, Yes, we heard them this evening. He is extremely happy! Good luck!

@futuremedico Congratulations! How did you hear the notification? Over email?

@SteyrFWB2

I understand that MCAT scores have to be met at both USF and UCF. It looks like you implied that you can take MCAT multiple times at UCF but only once at USF. Is that written somewhere or know by experience? Or is it because it is accelerated program at USF, you might have only 1 chance at USF before submitting your MD application? That is a huge factor to be considered before joining these programs (whether you can take MCAT multiple times or not).

There is a deadline to get MCAT score in.
By senior September at UCF, by junior year September at USF.

When you can take it? You can register this week and take it next month if you want to. It is given ten times a year.

But realistically, you got to have some organic, physics, and biochemistry before attempting it. It is an eight hour exam, basically like take final, after final, after final for 8 hours.

Posts of both @rk2017 & @SteyrFWB2 are valid. So it depends on individual student and hence donā€™t generalize.

MCAT can be taken any time, even before 2 years also. But ensure you have completed 1 yr of chem, 1 yr of OChem, 1 yr physics, 1 sem Biochem, 1 sem Genetics, Stats - whatever material MCAT covers.

Though good test takers can do well there are some students who had challenge to score well like 514 or so in MCAT even with 1 or 2 attempts.

Always take full practice MCAT test and score to the target you have in mind.

Take MCAT only when you are fully ready. Apply to MD only when you are ready and met all the obvious requirements. Taking MCAT multiple times or going thru multiple MD app cycle is going to weaken your chance.

@therosea, Yes, we got an email.

@futuremedico Thank you for letting us know! Sincere congratulations to you!!!

Does Brooklyn College send out rejection emails for this program?

Because cut-off number (required by BS/MD programs) is always lower than mean number (reported for traditional route) in any statistical data, not just MCAT. :wink:

Could anyone give insight about BS-BA/MD programs for SUNY Upstate vs SUNY Downstate vs Sophie Davis. My DD is a junior (she will apply to all 3 programs) and I have a DS that is a sophomore. We are NYS residents and the cost is a big factor for my family. We barely missed the Excelsior income requirement but both kids will apply to a STEM program and will be in 10% of their class so will have tuition free at SUNY/CUNY schools. She will apply to other programs that have private undergrad but price will be the deciding factor.

Because cut-off number (required by BS/MD programs) is always lower than mean number (reported for traditional route) in any statistical data, not just MCAT. :wink:

[/quote]

The lower MCAT or no MCAT might be prevailing protocol at other schools, but it is not the case for UCF.

They have a large incoming BSMD cohort 40-45 students, UCF can absorb all those students into their regular med class if all students make the benchmark 3.8, 514, and required research thesis.

Numbers are not truncated like some other schools, to ensure they are just as good as incoming regular med school warriors. No murmur from any body saying BSMD are a bunch of immature high school kids who receive prodigal treatment.

Those kids get there based on their own merits.

You might ask, why go to a place where you have to work? But on the other hand, why go to a place that does not require you to perform?

UCF want you to do well, and have option to stay (you proven yourself), or go elsewhere good for yourself.

BTW, a faculty from UCF answers everything so precisely on other site for traditional candidates. Personally, that speaks the volume, how thorough they are and certainly admire that. Look for 2019-20 Central Florida on SDN if one wants to read residency and other aspects of medical school.

@futuremedico

PMed you with info on a couple of schools you are looking at

Hiā€¦ can some one helpā€¦ DD will be future bsmd applicantā€¦she loves doing medicine in future. DD in 8th grade now, and she is trying to select freshman courses. For languages she wants to take Latin 1 for 9th and Latin 2 for 10th . Only two years of language in high school. She said really want to take Latin only, but her middle school counselor said, Latin is not spoken language, so she has to take another laungage with Latin, and she has to take atleast 4 years of language if she has to get into ivy league. Competitive colleges 3 years of language in high school.

She will be taking marching band and concert band all 4 years, so she wonā€™t have course work to take these many courses.

Can someone help understand, if itā€™s really true that she has to take spoken language and 4 years of language for her to get into ivy league and competitive colleges.

@mememom short answer yesā€¦
Long answer, Latin, dead language, unless have an academic desire to study it there is no purpose. If thought is that itā€™s beneficial or attractive as medical school candidate simple answer ā€¦itā€™s no advantage.
Per ivy leagueā€¦great to have goalsā€¦ absolutely set them sky highā€¦I fully agree! Reality however: over next four years of high school, take the absolute most challenging classes such as numerous AP classes; likely take classes beyond your high school available curriculum found perhaps at local community colleges etcā€¦, maintain a near perfect GPA, score near perfect SAT (at least 1520) or ACT (35) . Do great things in your community. If student can do all of thatā€¦then they will have a good chance at being considered for admission to ivy league school BUT would still statistically likely be rejected like the majority of applicantsā€¦hence the 4-6 % acceptance rate of Ivyā€™sā€¦
This may sound harsh, but it is in fact realityā€¦unless you have a hook such as recruited athlete or some other attribute you bring to the school you will potentially find a rejection letter like many other near perfect students.
Does it mean you should not shout for the stars? Absolutely notā€¦if you donā€™t try I can 100% gaurantee you would never get inā€¦if you really try I can 95% assure you wonā€™t get inā€¦BUT there is a 5% chance you doā€¦so go for itā€¦
All of that soon and gloom brings me to my pointā€¦which is thisā€¦kids who go to Ivies are incredibly gifted, smart etcā€¦but what they are more so then those attributes is that they are arduous and incredibly hard workingā€¦They never really take the easy way or take short cutsā€¦so asking 8f one " really needs to take 4 years of a language" doesnā€™t line up with that type of studentā€¦those student very much want to take 4 years of languageā€¦they go even beyond that. Iā€™m in no way suggesting you or your child is trying to cut cornersā€¦please donā€™t read it like thatā€¦ absolutely not my intentā€¦what I am saying is if this is your or their hope then the answer will always be YES ā€¦YES to take Evey hard coarse, YES take extra credits, YES be overly involved in clubs etcā€¦this is what your mantra need be for the next four yearsā€¦ After that you may or may not get into an ivyā€¦if you do greatā€¦if not no loss because no matter where you end up, you now will be incredibly successful because you now have developed a work ethic that will be Superior to 99% of your peers.
My basis for offering this advice is that I attended one of these schools. I have a current senior now who has gained acceptance this cycle to Harvard and I would say he is an ā€œaverageā€ ivy candidateā€¦as a reference he is a 4.0, 1560 SAT, 16 APs , varsity athlete etcā€¦etcā€¦and with all that I believe getting in was still lucky. Itā€™s always a crapshoot. Best of luckā€¦and yes take 4 years of language.

@SteyrFWB2

Thanks for sharing your own personal experiences and insights. I appreciate. Didnā€™t mean to hint in any way that those who are smart are bound to do well in MCAT or conversely those who may have difficulty in that test arenā€™t smart.

But in the past couple of cycles have seen students and parents here being overly concerned about MCAT and giving undue importance in their criteria on which program to go to based on that.

Also happen to indirectly know a student from an Ivy who pursued medicine at UCF and is in dermatology residency elsewhere now, about whom I quoted couple of times earlier here in different contexts.

@suku1zar,
Thank you for your suggestion. My S called. He got in too! But we still havenā€™t received the letter.