***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Congratulations that is awesome!!!

@gradedu Congratulations to the whole family. When did he interview, and which feeder school? Trying to understand their timeline.

@MD2028 Ha ha. I did leave a disclosure saying those are just random schools that came to my mind as examples.

I’m sure I dont give a damn about med school rankings.

@SpeedSkater,
2/10 interview with ACPHS. Heard they evaluated the 2/10 and 3/2 together this past Wed. A few students received the result on Wed and Thur. If I have to speculate, they probably evaluated by school for most of the students. We didn’t get call until Friday.

Has anyone had the Hofstra interview yet?

@lovesamranaa Hofstra’s final interview date is 3/09 so I guess they are done with interview invites this app cycle☹️

Is NJMS done too with interview invites for this app cycle?

Anyone from RIT/Upstate with interview date of 3/2 got the decision?

They usually come out abt two weeks later so u might have to wait a while

Hi ekballer
Very nice of you to help the students with the process. My son ( junior) is interested in bsmd and I would like to see what his chances are. PA ( American Indian) resident and looking into north east schools mainly. Sat- 1560
Weighted GPa- 4.507;. Weighted- 3.85
Cancer lab internship in junior summer
Hospital volunteer hours- 110
No shadowing yet
National level debater
State level cross country

I was invited for an interview. I was just wondering if anyone already had it and could possibly share the format.

@rk2017 - thank you so much for you’re reply.
Can you let us know in HS, how many language course years , did your kid take?
And how many AP courses he took in HS over all?

Thanks!

@Memamom

Sure, but not sure how much that info can be useful since it may be ancient/outdated already :-). with C about to start med school this year.

Their HS wouldn’t allow freshmen to enroll in AP or dual enrollment college courses. (May have changed since then, not sure). With that restriction, by the end of junior year when it is time to start applying to these programs, C had 4 APs (with 5s in all tests including the toughest to get in Bio) and 1 dual enrollment college course (not science or Math/Calc related). 3 of the APs were BCM with AP Physics C enrolled in senior year. That way all the BCPM at AP level were covered during HS (total 5 including Stats).

Of course different matter, the accelerated program C is in did not give any credits for BCP APs, but their weight on transcript and the AP test scores did convey the interest and strength in STEM and medicine during application cycle.

Regarding language courses, had a tough choice in senior year. Completed honored French IV by junior year and could have only taken AP in senior year. But was predetermined to enroll in 5 APs and a dual enrollment in senior year. Gym was un skippable. So had to make a choice between AP French and Honors Anatomy and Physiology and opted for the latter. So yes, only 3 years of foreign language (but covered up till honors IV).
We suggested alternate course work, especially considering the notorious crazy PhD physics teacher for AP in senior year, but C stuck to the guns and we didn’t interfere further.

Try to have the core - Math (including Stats), Science, English, FL, Social sciences covered every year of high school if possible. In our case it wasn’t (FL missed in senior year). Courses like Accounting, Business, Environmental Science and Computer science are considered optional/electives and not the core. Check with the counselor when in doubt.

One can study on his/her own to take AP tests even if school does offer AP level classes. D took 8 AP tests while there were only 4 AP level courses offered during 4 years of HS curriculum in her school. All her classes were either Honors or AP level at HS. There were MD’s and PhD’s teachers at her county level Health Academy School.

Re: Stonybrook

Folks - different honors program send out the invites are slightly different schedule.
2 years back, WISE was the last to send their invites.
There is a possibility some of you may hear from them this week.

All who have sent me DMs

I am working through your messages and will respond by today.
I have a family situation which demands my attention and hence the delay in responding to you.

May be one day, Hindi or Gujarati or Telgu or Tamil or Punjabi or Bengali may reach there based on number of folk’s native language criteria.

Please apply broadly for BS/MD. This whole process is a crapshoot so do not have high expectations. Have some shadowing done as well.

In CA, I noticed some clinics list Indian languages as the languages they support. My S is familiar with Hindi and Telugu also. He will list them on the app but won’t give any advantage.

My post is not related to medical school admission.

In general, Learning / speaking multiple languages always benefits and broadens any one. In healthcare industry at least as of now, only Spanish is integral and second Mandarin in IT systems. IVR still only English and Spanish. Any written communication / docs only English, Spanish and at times Chinese. All other languages only when you interact with staff or patient.