***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@All:

Quick question not relating to BS/MD :slight_smile: . Is Fordham University a good University for pre-med path? IF cost at Fordham and UMD are the same, which one would be better school to attend ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don’t have direct knowledge about either. But some points you may want to consider.

• Fordham has decent name overall and is private. So chances of having less crowded class rooms and better interaction with faculty and easier to get registered for the courses (as an example, Organic chem class may have only 100 students vs 300)
  • It is perhaps easier to get good gpa at Fordham than UMD (CP) and have a good balance between studies and ECs.
  • New York City location may provide ample internship, hospital volunteering opportunities. Also consider which of the two is closer, if that is a criterion.
  • If for some reason it will not be medicine as an eventual career path, UMD brand name may help overall and in the long run.

Has anyone done an interview for Sophie Davis? Mine is on Wednesday; any tips would be very helpful and appreciated please. How can I prepare?
Sophie is one of my top schools and I can use any help. Thanks!

There will be 3 interviews, one with a current student (more of a process) and two faculty interviews. It is the usual process. You will be asked about your extracurriculars and essays.

Be yourself and confident. All the best!!

Thank you so much @Admission2020!! Quick question: do you think they’d ask about my thoughts on the corona virus or my knowledge of it?

Not sure, I had my interview mid-Feb when the corona was not that prevalent here.

I think so. When I intervied at the beginning of Feb, they said half were that day and half were another day later that week.

For calculating the science math GPA do the colleges / programs include subjects like psychology, computer science or is it only bio, physics, chem, Pre calculus calculus?

@babySimba1 Only BCPM for sGPA. psychology, computer science are not BCPM but will be used in AO (All Others) and Total GPA.

@babySimba1

Agree with @GoldenRock - only PCBM counted for science GPA.

Is Anatomy considered under Science?. Next year I can take AP Bio or Anatomy at my school and I am trying to decide which one will help me more with regards my science / math GPA. Also does Physical science come under science GPA?

@babySimba1 My response above is when you are applying for regular MD using AMCAS process and based on your UG and any other 4 year college including community college transcript.

If you are referring about your HS courses or AP courses, not sure what you are trying to clarify. Do courses you like and do well in HS. Which year you are in HS?

UMD(Univ of Maryland) has better reputation than Fordham University.

I was looking at some BSDO programs and one of the program needs Science / Math GPA to be 3.8 to qualify for applying. My Science/ Math GPA now is 3.8. I am currently a Junior in High School and I am trying to make the right decision for my Senior year classes. I have to choose between AP Bio or Anatomy in my senior year and I want to make sure that Anatomy is considered under Science for college admission/ BS DO programs. I read some where that Anatomy is not considered under Science GPA but not sure how far it is true.

@babySimba1 Best call or send email to that BS/DO program and get clarity. I would suggest to do AP BIO than doing Anatomy. Is there any reason for your preference towards Anatomy?

@babySimba1

Have you checked with your high school counselor? Also don’t be shy in sharing your future plans with him/her. They can provide some guidance.

Where did you read Anatomy is not a science subject ? AMCAS has course classifications for MD. It comes under Biology. Biology is a science subject.

BCPM Courses (Science)
Biology (BIOL)
Anatomy
Biology
Biophysics
Biotechnology
Botany
Cell Biology
Ecology
Entomology
Genetics
Histology
Immunology
Microbiology
Molecular Biology
Neuroscience
Physiology
Zoology

Chemistry (CHEM)
Biochemistry
Chemistry
Physical Chemistry
Thermodynamics

Physics (PHYS)
Astronomy
Physics

Mathematics (MATH)
Applied Mathematics
Biostatistics
Mathematics
Statistics

I don’t know if the BS/MD interview cycle is still on-going or not, but a number of medical schools have cancelled their Second Look Days for admitted students and a smaller number are cancelling/postponing all their remaining interviews.

The following schools have already announced Second Look cancellations–

Alabama
Columbia
Georgetown
George Washington
NYU
Penn State
Mt. Sinai
Stanford
Yale
WashU
UWashington

The following schools have cancelled or postponed all remaining interviews:

Albany
Einstein

hey guys. i’m new to this thread. just wondering if any of you know about the MCPHS/SGU program? i got an email saying that i was eligible to apply for it because i applied to mcphs but never knew they had this program. but i was just wondering if you guys know anything about it because i’m quite clueless.