***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Thanks @rk2017 ! I will look into it.

May be in 2019 thread also (which has lots of over all number of posts by the way)

@Westerngirl
No, should not be issue getting into good residencies from not so well known programs.
If you want to figure out less competitive programs, first try to filter out the more competitive ones and programs open for in state students only (like UIC for example).
I would say for the starters, you can start by eliminating WashU, Baylor (both programs), Brown, BU (on this one, unless she does extremely well on ALL standardized tests as mentioned), NU, GWU, NJMS, Case Western and Pitt.
Then you need to go to the web sites of the remaining programs on the list, check their FAQs for any stats, number of applicants, number of slots available, restrictions, preferences etc, may be make few phone calls to talk to the program folks directly for any further info, to come up with an appropriate list.

You should be able to find multiple sources on the web that list 60-70 in total of such programs being offered. Someone also listed most of them in this thread earlier.

@Westerngirl
From talking to many residents and medical students, I know now that the type of medical school can definitely affect the residency placements in the future. For example, Brown’s Alpert School of Medicine has a significantly greater number of people matching to elite hospital systems such as Harvard, Penn, Cornell, NYU, etc. You can look at the match lists, publicly published on most medical schools’ websites for more information. When I made the decision between Pitt’s program and Brown’s program, I conducted a 10-year analysis of the specialities and hospitals in each match list. I found significant differences that were probably a result of a variety of factors, including school network, prestige, research opportunities, etc.

@hs2md-bsmd
Both the programs you mentioned are likely ruled out in @Westerngirl case and not apt for comparison. So the question is, does going to any of the other not so fancy programs within the BS/MD route will make it prohibitively difficult to get into good residencies? (Again what is “good” is very subjective).

I believe no. It depends on how well someone can make use of the opportunities around in the med school or program and shine. I have known a number of students going to not so fancy and instate med schools ending up in the same residencies you mentioned above. The Converse is also true, people who got burnt out by the competition in more prestigious med schools having to settle for not so “good” residencies.

Also one need not just go by the name when it comes to residency but rather the field. For example UAB’s Orthopedics. Also where one’s heart takes during the med school is paramount, not checking some match lists 5 to 8 years ahead of the time.

Hofstra is considered low to mid tier, but their guaranteed residency placement into the northwell system is a pretty good deal

@rk2017
I completely agree that the type of medical school does not define where you might get placed or which field you might be placed in. However, it is important to also keep in mind that certain schools have pipelines for particular hospitals or specialties, as @ramen2020 explains. While I also believe that hard work, passion, and diligence can result in success at almost any medical school, it is important to keep in mind the what happens to the average student at these medical schools as well.

When I analyzed the match lists going years back, I indeed looked at specialities as well as hospitals. There are very clear differences and trends that you can decipher from these match lists that may not be apparent until you talk to people who go to that school or go there yourself. For example, only after I did the analysis did I see that Brown had a large proportion of people going towards primary care and internal medicine. This trend was statistically significant, but I did not understand why until I asked the students there on visitors day. They told me that Alpert was a pipeline for MD candidates who wanted to go internal, and much of their primary undergrad recruiting focuses on students who want to go down that path. So overall, while I am not saying that a less prestigious medical school would prohibit you from entering any speciality or hospital you want, but on average there is definitely some effect.

@hs2md-bsmd

Yes with you on the point the med school/program has some desirable bearing on the outcomes often. However not everyone will have the luxury of choosing between two or more coveted programs and my intent was to make it clear that it need not dissuade one from going this route only for the brand name concern.

Given a choice, definitely go with the program to your liking, be it prestige, match lists, faculty and facilities, the vibes you get there 
 otherwise don’t bother.

We did the same in case of child’s decision to go with one of the more prestigious programs in this route since she loved everything about the program, the school(s), the curriculum and faculty and the location. We could have insisted that she better go the traditional route and save us decent amount, since we were quite confident of her capabilities of potentially being able to get into like JHU med school or similar. But we chose to give preference to the child’s decision.

The folks I cited in the previous post, who all got into most coveted residencies, specialities and fellowships all did their med schooling in state or affordable schools elsewhere. They were all traditional route candidates, instate undergrad, and did not try extensively to get into a branded med school for the following reasons.

1. They were very confident of getting into the instate med schools with their credentials. So didn't bother applying to more than a handful.
  2. They were conservative on the financial aspects.
  3. They were confident that the facilities, pathways, opportunities at the said med schools will allow them to thrive.
  4. And finally they were self confident that they will be able to stay on top even in the med schools. (I personally wonder if they could have done that well if they had chosen to go to some of the fancied brand names).

They were mostly correct on their assessments and came out flying colors.

@chillmanz34 ,
For Wayne state BS/MD program eligibility criteria is unique, not everyone is eligible, see below for one of the main eligibility criteria form the their website.

Disadvantaged socioeconomic background

All students who meet the above eligibility requirements are welcome to apply to Wayne Med-Direct. However, during the selection process preference is given to students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds who are also interested in studying health disparities.

The term “from disadvantaged socioeconomic background” is often misunderstood as meaning that a student has to be poor in order to apply to Wayne Med-Direct, but this is not always true. A person can be socially disadvantaged, economically disadvantaged or both. Any circumstance that has limited/hindered a student’s access to educational opportunities and created disadvantages in their social, personal and academic life can fall under this category.

In one of the two statements required in the secondary application for Wayne Med-Direct, a student should address the socioeconomic disadvantages faced.

Hi, my son is looking to apply BS/MD programs but there are some schools which is restricting on MCAT score along with GPA to matriculate into med school after undergrad. Would it be a better option to consider these programs rather than regular undergrad. For example, if he gets into A rated undergrad universities as well as BS/MD programs with MCAT restriction schools which one to consider?

@ghytu12 It is not a simple yes or no answer. It depends on so many things, student academic capability / interest, family financial situation, specific program and so called A rated undergrad, readiness to take challenges, risk, reward, level of clarify to do medicine etc.

That is why if there is even some interest, best is to apply to few BS/MD programs along with the regular UG universities. Decide when the time comes in April.

I am sure some of you have kids already in Medical college. I think you know more about the process. Can someone tell me the disadvantages of a DO programs over MD program?

@mygrad2021 Try Google 'Difference between MD and DO" and you will get so many sites providing information.

In general, DO programs focus on holistic aspects to treat and for Primary care. So if some one interested in specialty MD programs edge DO.

@mygrad2021

From my understanding so far:

1. Generally it is easier to get into DO programs with lower credentials (typically ~ 3.4 gpa and low 500 MCAT ranges). However perhaps the same may have contributed to lower perception of DOs compared to their MDs counterparts and the prestige factor.
  2. There is a new unified residency placements system across both the paths. Since statistics may not be available already, will be difficult to assess if any pros and cons with respect to DO candidates' matching into specialities.
  3. The DO path is no cheaper than MD. So it may not be attractive for everyone unless they get a terrific deal in the undergrad.
  4. Instead of going for a direct BS/DO programs, people seem to prefer to go traditional route and then pursue the DO later if push comes to shove.
  5. There seem to be couple of very good programs though in this route, like NYIT/COM. Some one was mentioning in this thread earlier that even students doing undergrad from schools like Brown joining that program.
  6. Couple of child's high school batch mates also went BS/DO route, one for the above mentioned NYIT program and another for Nova South Eastern (child of a pediatrician). Not sure about any financial awards they have had and not in touch with them either to find out. Also famed schools such as Michigan State also have such programs which you may want to research about.
  1. Also anyone wanting to research the direct DO programs may want to find out if they have the flexibility of taking the undergrad degree and leaving the program later for any reason.

Thank you @GoldenRock and @rk2017 ! Your input is always valuable.

@GoldenRock Thank you

@mygrad2021

Here is a link to some tips for a specific program. You can find more such tips in 2018 & 19 threads. Anyway as I said, it may be a little too early in your D’s case to start thinking on those lines.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21906536/#Comment_21906536

Thank you so much @rk2017 ! It’s very helpful.

Hello, I am planning on applying to a few programs this year and was wondering if anyone has insight on getting in other than the usuals things: test scores, gpa, ect. The programs I am going to apply to are Northwestern HPME, Brown PLME, Case PPSP, Rochester REMS, Siena/ Albany med, and ST. Boneventure/ GW. I feel I have a good in for Siena and northwestern because I have double legacy at Siena and I know a doctor who works with admissions for HPME, but I would really like to maximize my chances on some of the other programs. In particular the REMS program, and the St. Bony program. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated , thank you.