***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hi, Rutgers New Jersey medical school is affiliated with many undergrad institutions for the 7 yr program. Can my son apply thru more than one affiliated undergrad institute? Also, is there any specific number of reserved seats to each undergrad institute for this program or is it pool of seats from all the undergrad schools?

@Stephen_G

Keeping this factualā€¦
See this from the HMPE website and especially the last para about favoritism and conflict of interest. Dr. Didwania, who works with me and I will remind her to reinforce the policy like we do every year.

to answer the question you askedā€¦ Yes there are other ways in addition to hard work, scores, ECs, ā€¦ get to know the admissions committee real well.

HPME Admissions Policy

The HPME Selection Committee reviews applicants for the Honors Program in Medical Education (HPME) after an initial review is completed by the Undergraduate Admissions Office. The HPME Selection Committee is a subcommittee of the Feinberg School of Medicine Admissions Committee and consists of 10 appointed Feinberg School of Medicine faculty and two students. The Feinberg Associate Dean for Admissions is a voting member of the HPME Admissions Committee and serves as an application reviewer and interviewer for selected candidates to discuss their motivation in seeking the MD via the BA/MD program.

The HPME Selection Committee meets annually to review all candidates and make recommendations for admission. All 12 members have voting privileges. A minimum of 9 members must be present for a quorum at the HPME Selection Committee meeting. All candidates recommended for acceptance by the subcommittee are reviewed and approved by the Feinberg School of Medicine Executive Admissions Committee. Only the Feinberg School of Medicine Admissions Committee can accept students to the Feinberg School of Medicine.

Members of the HPME Selection Committee complete a conflict of interest (COI) session each year and are asked annually to declare any potential conflicts of interest. Potential conflicts with HPME applicants include a family member or other personal relationship (i.e. close family friend). If a conflict of interest exists, the HPME selection committee member must recuse themselves from the committee for the entire application year. This expectation is reviewed in writing annually with committee members.

FAU BS MD Program - Interview is formality if you meet 510 MCAT and 3.7 GPA. National Merit finalists get preference with 3 years UG college of attendance ( instate or out of state) scholarship.

@MAGA2016 @Stephen_G very interesting discussion for HPME and a smackdown. Not sure how Dr Didwania looped into this and no one else?

HI, Looking for details and advice on DO schools

What SAT subject tests one should do for bs/md programs.? My D took SAT Chemistry and planning to take SAT Biology and Math2 this year after Calc BC. How important is Humanities SAT Subject test?

@ghytu12 and any new members,

Before posting your questions take a little time to read the current posts to see if your questions have been already addressed. Refer to post 473 literally less than 2 days old.

Regarding NJMS feeder schools, which I am not going to repeat again, TCNJ and NJIT send maximum consignment of students to NJMS every year, ~15-20 each. But they also have lot more applications and high gpa and sat/act requirements. All other feeder schools contribute 0-5 each a year.

@mygrad2021

The subject SATs in science should be enough. If she takes additional tests and scores great, no harm in reporting but doubt if it matters for these programs. Pay attention to percentiles though. For example a 750 on Math2 may look just fine but corresponds to a 60% ile or something and so wonā€™t be competitive.

A good benchmark score to target, even by repeating the tests if required, would be >= Mean + Standard deviation (which is published by the way by college board for each subject test).

Thank you

Thank you @rk2017 !

Hi all - my S a junior in HS and is planning for SAT this December.

All his friends who completed the SAT last month told him that their score was about 50 to 80 points less than they expected, guessing due to ā€˜the curveā€™. I checked directly with another parent of a senior (different state) and he confirmed the same.

Since this is practically the last SAT that a senior can give before this years college admissions especially since the cutoff for bsmd is high usually about 1500 , any thoughts from anyone that has had similar experience or impact ? Meaning if this August score is truly a ā€˜tough curveā€™ and if the Senior was banking on this score , whatā€™s the best path forward ?

@helperdad Some students perform well in ACT than SAT. So your S can take ACT. Most colleges accept either SAT or ACT.

Courtesy @TTV2018 on the 2018 results thread, thought of sharing - (no we didnā€™t know about this in 2017 cycle, nor read it subsequently)

ā€œ- DD found a book by J.Marwaha, ā€œMore than just BSā€™ very useful and a really funny read about how to prepare for the BSMD process.ā€

@rk2017 I thought it was TCNJ and Drew sending the most, not NJIT?

This is what NJIT had on the FAQs section about the program on their honors website (not pasting the URL since it may be yanked out)

Total Applicants 329
Invited for Interview with ADHC Committee 110
Selected by NJMS Committee for Interview 48
Offered admission to BS/MD program by NJMS 19
Enrolled in NJIT BS/MD Program with NJMS for Fall 2018 13

19 is a rather impressive number. I donā€™t think any of the other lesser known programs including Drew comes close (though I havenā€™t checked their site, since I donā€™t need to). Check the individual web sites/FAQs or even call them up to figure out the stats yourself and share it here as a good gesture.

Also unlike Drew NJIT is a public school and so must be less expensive and is most generous with their merit awards. (But there is some lead in the water issue going on in some areas of Newark and remedial actions are ongoing).

Hi @rk2017 - in NOVA one of of my friendā€™s D completed her UG (free tuition for UG) and moved to another DO college by writing MCAT.

@DSOF20192023

Thanks for the info, I think got it but just to confirm, was she at Nova as part of the BS/DO program and got the full ride for undergrad or was it as part of the traditional route?

Hi

What SAT Chemistry scores are recommended for applying to Boston BU-SMED and Northwestern HPME.

Thanks

@helperdad
They can give another shot in October 5. It may still meet deadlines for many schools.

Alternatively, there is always ACT.
My view on ACTs - if you are weak in reading comprehension, you will not do well in ACTs.

BTW - your S in is junior so there is enough time. As a rule, always plan for curving to work against you and prepare. If curving works in favor of you, consider that as a bonus. If you are looking at curving to take you past your score goal, it means you are not fully prepared for your SAT.

@mygrad2021
My doctor friends tell me there is no PRACTICAL difference between DO and MDs as far as residency matches are concerned.