***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Nvidia20 I think I voted for PPSP earlier, not knowing all choices, still PPSP is right choice as long as C is committed to medicine and not indecisive.

@srk2017

AMC tuition is about $56K per year – not $123K/ year.
It is in the lower range of medical school tuition fees.

https://www.amc.edu/academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/faqs.cfm

@Nvidia20

I would select CASE PPSP for now.
If you get into PIT-GAP (whenever they interview), I would seriously consider it.

@ohnjmom

I would go RPI/AMC if you are certain about medicine.
RPI is a very good undergrad school and AMC enjoys a strong reputation among physicians.
And AMC’s tuition is about 56K (not 123K) - lower range of med school tuitions.

One aspect re: Duke: One of friends son had transferred out of Duke (about 4 years ago) due to racism. He had also indicated too much of missionary activity. He transferred to Michigan and loved it there. May be an isolated case, may be culturally it is non-inviting to ORMs. Just one data point.

My mistake, I was quoting total COA for PA (didn’t see the URL correctly). As per AAMC AMC tuition and fees is
$58,221 In-state
$58,221 Out-of-state

Add $30K for cost of living.

Most in-state schools are not that expensive.

@srk2017

Good point on in-state school medical fees. Forgot in some states, those fees are still low.

But AMC’s fees , when compared with private medical schools, are on the lower range.

Finally, UC Connections BS/MD Program offered the followings:

“We write with our sincerest wishes that you and your families are safe and well during this time. We are also contacting you to notify you that in response to the rapidly evolving nature of the COVID-19 outbreak and our commitment to your health and safety, we have converted your April 13th interview with the Cincinnati Medicine Connections (BS/MD) program to a virtual platform…”

@PathophysiologyFTW

Both BS/MD and Ivy schools are hard to get into.
Students making into either programs are extremely high caliber students.
And they will success if they continue to put in the hard work.

Having said that, BS/MD application process is a lot more involved and extends over multiple months with more hurdles in the way. It is also more exhausting and stressful.
For example, interviews: BS/MD interviews are formal and have a direct bearing on your success or failure. By contrast, alumni interviews at many Ivies is, let’s say, an opportunity for you to meet someone accomplished in their field and enjoy coffee. That interview may have ZERO impact on your decision.

After an interview with LKSOM in March 2020, D has received a letter of conditional acceptance to LKSOM subject to terms and conditions of the Temple Health Scholar linkage program between Temple University and Temple LKSOM. The last step will be to submit an official AMCAS application when it opens probably in June 2020.

@grtd2010 Congratulations to your D and family. :heart:

Thanks @PPofEngrDr

SSATS 790 chem & 800 bio. 12APs and all 5s expect one 4. no IBs

If S is committed to become a doctor, go with BS/MD program, having gone through the process. Duke/Penn may be alternatives if your S wants to explore and decide in future what should he do.

Congratulations @grtd2010 to you, your D and family.

Thanks @NoviceDad

Anyone heard back from Sophie Davis?

Case Western Reserve PPSP over AMC and UMKC 6 yrs. Consider GAP if in contention before May 1, 2020.

Thanks grtd2010

If you are committed to becoming a doctor, go with Texas A&M BS/MD. D had admission to USC premed with a NMF scholarship discount a few years ago but did not join.

@2020admissions Based on what was said (and, previous years), a notification will go out this evening via email.
Emails in the past have also been staggered and people also reported that they got emails on Sunday and the following Monday. Letters will follow email notification as well.

Good luck to y’all!