***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

You are missing a big part of asset - California residential value, it is also part of the assets and income.

One can try to shadow a physician of your preferred specialty.

@BAMDHopeful

Stonybrook over others.

Not in favor of 6 year programs - avoid UMKC.
St. Bonavanture undergrad program will feel like a let down for high caliber students and since you have any option, avoid it as well.
Between SUNY Poly and Stonybrook, Stonybrook is a better option.

@scarlet20 and others considering traditional route,

You may want to check out something like the below to get a feel for honors breakpoints for recent graduating batches to get an idea about grading at BU (and other schools). The info below is for engineering majors, which is generally tougher where the breakpoints tend to be lower than other areas. But one can extrapolate what it could be for other areas, for example my estimate for CAS summa cum laude students will be > 3.9.

http://www.bu.edu/eng/current-students/ugrad/seniors/latin-honors/

Shadowing has minimal value. Clinical and research counts much more.

Ok Thanks for the advice

@bsmdgrateful Thanks for the catch. BSMDHopeful is a banned account.

@BAMDHopeful Go with Stonybrook irrespective of 7 or 8 years.

This tells nothing. Top 5-10% get As at any school so how can we use that to determine if school has grade deflation or not!!!

Also Latin honors GPA will be very similar among different schools

At Vandy difference between different schools is 0.01

https://registrar.vanderbilt.edu/academic-records/latin-honors.php

@ NoviceDad @GoldenRock Thank you for your advice!

That is a good question, not sure how SOMs will react to that, but atleast that would need an explanation, some SOMs are treating it like ā€˜Wā€™.

I donā€™t see that as a relief. In grand schema with all OOS, international students across colleges, believe colleges are making tough, but the right decision. Certain that 1 Q is not going to make or break 3.8+ students.

I agree with making it P/F since itā€™a new quarter and I assume all schools with quarter system will follow that.

BTW, if anyone wants to compare medical schools go to SDN and check X vs Y threads and search for the school names. Lot of good info.

Did anyone hear from NJMS today? for NJIT/NJMS program?

Hi guys, Does BSMD program consider weighted or unweighted GPA? I heard some say that even though the program say that they look up the individual school courses but the reality is they only see unweighted GPA. Is 3.7 GPA ok to apply. Please share your experience

No 3.7 is not ok to apply with, especially if you are an ORM background (Asian).

• However few exemptions from that, if you happen to be attending an extremely competitive and grade deflated high school and your school ranks students and yours is in the top 5%. And you ace all standardized tests, APs and subject tests. There was one student in last year's results thread who fell in the category and was still successful.
  • You are from an URM (under represented minority) background and again, all other credentials being decent at least.

If neither, you may want to focus your time and energy in finding a good undergrad institution which is a best fit where you can excel and try regular route.

They called mid last week.

@rk2017 Thanks for your response. The school is grade deflated school. My son took all the honors classes which are weighted. His SAT is around 1550 and subject test around 790. When I called HPME or PLME they said they look at individual schools for GPA. Considering what you are saying it looks like he does not have any chance to even get interview from HPME program. If at all we consider what BSMD school should we apply?

The bs/md process is very unpredictable so apply widely but have low expectations. Only 5% of seats in medical schools are filled via bs/md. One can always apply via regular UG route. For ORM, UW 3.7 is not competitive since there are numerous applicants with perfect UW GPA and test scores.

We havenā€™t heard anything yet. I think not for another week .