***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

No the reason is when we went to the college tour in the packet they gave it said annual household that greater than 200k ,37% gets an average amount worth 27k

NU-HPME: Spring Quarter P/F

D just received an email from Aarti Didwania re: impact of P/F on HPME.
Gist of the email is they are still reviewing / discussing the situation. More guidance will follow on impact to meeting GPA requirements.

@suku1zar

$ 250,000 represents approx 95 percentile on US household income level i.e. among the top 5%.
Top 5% of household by income levels are considered RICH people.
They do NOT qualify for NEED based aid.

Two options:

You can use the Brown’s Net Price Calculator and find out your ETF

You could also call the Brown Financial Aid office and talk to them. Since your child got admitted, it is natural you want to know…

From Weinberg P/N impact ‘Neither a P nor a N has any impact on a student’s quarter or overall GPA’

@bsmdgrateful

Congratulations on Stonybrook!
BTW - you would have qualified for Presidential or similar merit scholarship and gotten full tuition scholarship.

Stonybrook is a established and reputed medical school. It provides good education and they have good residency matches. My D had liked it.
Her only concern was it is far from airports even in Long Island.

What other options you are comparing with?

Congratulations to your child and your family. SUNY Stony brook is considered flagship in NY state.

We visited Stony Brook University. It’s a typical university town with university transportation. A lot of facilities (wellness centers/gymn, libraries etc). gives good credit for APs. Since your child will be part of Honors college or Scholars program, they will get extra benefits including research opportunities. Hope you got good scholarship? Even without, SBU is affordable…

Its 45 mins from New York City where you could also apply/get internships.

@PPofEngrDr

Yes, that is true.

Question is HPME going to do anything else considering the entire quarter is P/F.

Has anyone heard from any feeder schools for NJMS yet?

Answer is no, infact Dr Kundu was the speaker at AAMC webinar and she said no impact for other UG colleges so how they will treat -ve to own UG?

@bsmdgrateful

https://renaissance.stonybrookmedicine.edu/matchday2018

@MDhopetoget We are also anxiously waiting!

NJIT and Stevens said that they get results from NJMS by April 1 and they shortly notify after that. So hopefully later today

Has anyone heard something different

@NoviceDad The other option is University of Illinois-Chicago. And yes, we have received full-tuition. Thank you for your response.

I was hoping for a full list of residency match. I was just wondering. It won’t be the decision maker. More of curiosity.

Congratulations to everyone that have receive acceptances!

Thanks to everyone here who has provided advice and support throughout this journey! Please help me to decide four options:

1. UMKC 6 years
  2. SUNY Upstate/SUNY Poly (Potentially 7 years)
  3. George Washington University/ St Bonaventure 8 years
  4. SUNY Stony Brook 8 years ( can they do 7 years?)I can’t find their match list.

Finance is not a big concern. Non resident for all medical schools. Thank you!

@bsmdhopeful Go with Stonybrook irrespective of 7 or 8 years.

@GoldenRock - did you mean bsmdgrateful instead of bsmdhopeful? If yes, why Stony Brook over UIC?

Did you not already apply and did the paper work ? They want details of all your assets including residence value (CA ??) besides income. It may be too late for the freshman year. Probably you already know the answer. Call brown financial aid office.

What a relief for students even if only for 1 quarter. No competition with fellow students for grades.

Does not ‘N’ requires one to repeat the course to get a ‘P’ later ?