***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Trying to consolidate information of BS/BA+MD programs and their “apply out” policy meaning allowed to apply to other MD programs in the senior year of the BS/BA. Only few programs state this policy in their FAQ or website. Please help confirm if you know the “apply out” policy for following programs by replying to this post with a weblink or brochure stating the policy.

Albany Medical College+RPI, Physician Scientst
Albany Medical College+Union College, Leadership In Medicine (MBA)
Albany Medical College+Siena College, Science Humanities and Medicine, BA/MD
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
City College of New York (Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education)
Drexel University College of Medicine
Florida State University College of Medicine

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine :
Apply out: https://med.uc.edu/connections/frequently-asked-questions

Hofstra North Shore — LIJ School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Brown University Warren Alpert School of Medicine, Liberal Medical Education
George Washington University BA/MD
St. Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
University of Oklahoma School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Med-Direct
Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences—Newark
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Alabama School of Medicine
University of Toledo School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine*

@veeyes

In most of the accelerated programs (7 year), one loses the guaranteed spot if they choose to apply out and also need to inform the program director well in advance of that intention(so that the spot in med school waiting for you can be released for a traditional route applicant).
GWU used to allow that but recently someone stated they changed the policy too. I think the same holds true to Rutgers/NJMS.

In the list you mentioned, reach out to Penn State, RPI and NW to get clarification on their apply out policy. I guess the rest of the programs may not have issues since they are not accelerated.

@veeyes and @rk2017 , can we apply to Albany through all the undergraduate colleges separately or it’s a common application. I remember reading earlier that you can only through one of the undergrad college. Please correct me if I am wrong.

@mygrad2021 In the past they allowed to apply multiple feeder college. From last year or the previous year onward no longer that is allowed. Need to decide which feeder college and can apply to one college.

But in my view for AMC, it is easier to decide (unlike other programs which have multiple feeder colleges like NJMS). Because each of the 3 feeder programs RPI, Union and Sienna have a very distinct focus like Research, Leadership and Service. So students also based on what they have done in the past can determine which will be match to their passion. It simplifies head ache also and apply just to one place where you have a better chance based on your profile.

Thank you @GoldenRock !

Hi. Applying for PLME this year as an international student. Does anyone know how many internationals get into PLME at Brown? Will provide my stats soon. Thanks. :slight_smile:

@abhinaya1299 You can subscribe to MSAR and it may give an idea. Or can call or send a mail to Brown admission office.

Mostly it is just a few students (0-3 or 5) if at all at and mostly that may be also for students who are applying during the MD cycle.

In MSAR (it does not say which year data it displays) it shows only German besides US as the student country.

https://apps.aamc.org/msar-ui/#/medSchoolDetails/192

Around 145 students in MD class and that includes 45-55 students from PLME in each class. There is no break up how many international from PLME or regular MD. Best to talk to them directly and if they are open to disclose that stat.

Hi so I fell in love with the Union/Albany 8 year program with the bs/mba/md. But I want to apply to programs similar to it incase I don’t get into the union program. Does anyone know any other programs that allow you to do a bs/mba/md?

@akap04 Oklahoma Univ. It is BS/MD program of 4+4. But since OU gives 5 years of scholarship for National merit, many students do BS/MBA or BS/LLB in 5 years. So you can also complete BS/MBA in 4 years if you plan very carefully from the semester 1 before going to MD.

Similar to OU, you need to explore if any other BS/MD also provides flexible curriculum to pursue.

rk2017

thank you for your response. make sense.

Tuition Questions

For integrated BS/BA+MD programs is the tuition for the BS/BA same as that of the Under Grad tuition and the tuition revises up when the MD portion start?

Thanks for the help

@veeyes Yes, except for UMKC.

@veeyes, I think medical school fee is different from undergrad, it depends on the medical college. All experienced people, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to know if one if there is any pre-med that has an option of both MD and DO. I am just trying to see if the student doesn’t get MD residency if they can go to DO residency? Is there such guaranteed program?

@mygrad2021

You can Google and will get tons of information if you are keen on understanding the complete process. My suggestion not to go for way too much deep research at this stage. In the last few years already folks are so keen on residency and debating so much on that when trying to apply BS/MD.

MD and DO medical education is governed by 2 different governing organization. Each had its own governing process to apply for residency. Just recently they have merged and hence DO students also can apply for the residency of the MD process if they also do the Step exams etc., So what you are asking is not clear. If a student does not get residency in a year, s/he can apply next year. It is another crazy process and student need to know what are their interest, what they have done and which college/hospital they have ranked when applying etc. In general at that stage students know what they are doing and I don’t think any parent going to be involved.
My friend’s S who did his UG, MD at UCSD and did not get his residency in the first attempt and second attempt he got his ENT. It is rare but not unusual.

I am sure others who have done the research can share more in depth knowledge.
I am of the belief, it is way too early either for parents or students to know too much about residency. The key at this stage is if the student really understands what is medicine career and how do we/they know it is the path they will enjoy. It is damn hard long process lasting minimum 10 to maximum 15 years before they can start their work. Both education process and the never ending exams, application process and hard working hours, is it worth and or aligns with the passion and interest. It is hard to know the details at the age 17 or 18. So let it evolve.

@GoldenRock , Thanks for your response. I understand it’s long process and it’s definitely too early to think of residency. My only question is, if my D is accepted to a regular BS/MD program and after graduation from medical college, can she apply for DO residency if she cannot find the residency that she wants? I am just trying to figure if this makes any difference in selecting colleges next year?

@mygrad2021 I don’t know.

But still not able to understand the rationale behind your specific question.

DO programs in general for Primary care, though many DO students also specialize.
For MD students, getting in to Primary care is not the most difficult (as long as they fulfill needed reqs). The issue in general for DO students trying to get in to specialty residency programs like Derm, Optho, Ortho, Surgery etc.,

So why do you think a BS/MD student will have a challenge to get in to a Primary care after completing MD. Unless s/he particular that will do residency in Harvard or xyz and apply only to 2 programs for interview.

For example today a parent posted their child in the current residency cycle, applied just only to 56 programs.

@GoldenRock , Thank you! Maybe I have to still understand the process better.:slight_smile:

@mygrad2021

Agree that it is too early for you to start thinking about residency placements.

There are no MD/DO residencies anymore as per the new unified policy I believe. Those tags end at med schools.

In the past certain percentage or numbers in specialities used to be set apart for DO graduates. The opthalmologist I was trying to get an appointment sometime ago was a DO graduate. (I had to go to an MD after being told they had a 2 month wait for new patients).

So I believe there may not be any such differentiation anymore at residency level with the new unified policy. More knowledgeable folks may chime in with more info, let’s wait, but not worry about it now onwards.