***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@usmd2020, @amenmom- I know my S friend got an acceptance call from RPI/AMC yesterday so may be you should call and inquire with college

Hi all,

I got into VCU, but I was wondering why they let students apply out to medical schools. It seems weird since they invest 4 years in us and then let the students go.

Do you lose the VCU spot if you decide to apply out?

No you don’t lose the spot. Also needed everyone’s advice about VCU vs Upstate.

Upstate- 7 year program for me because of credits- no mcat

VCU- Higher Ranked- Apply Out- 508 MCAT- VCU UG is in Richmond and have opportunities to do research at VCU SOM.

Was very confused on which option to take. Out of state for both and cost is same.

Presuming you like both campuses,
If you are risk averse go with Upstate as no MCAT.
However, if you still want to explore other medical schools at end of UG, go with VCU, as you don’t lose the spot.
Otherwise go with campus that you like as you are spending next 7-8 years there.

Go with VCU unless you really want to graduate early. What’s your state?

NJ
Why would you say VCU over Upstate?

No BSMD programs materialized for us. We are left with the following UG options for pre-med.

How should we proceed? From NJ, cost not a major consideration.

1. Acceptance (in Biology related majors within college of arts and sciences): WashU, Emory, Georgetown, NYU, Boston University, UPitt ($10K/year scholarship), Stevens Institute of Tech. ($26K/year scholarship), Rutgers
  2. Waitlisted: JHU, Vandy and Rice
  3. Open to try as a transfer student for T10 UG schools

Based on what you said and also VCU have better reputation than Upstate. 508 is a low target. If you are not confident of getting that think about Step II, boards etc

Both schools have same MCAT median (513) and similar median GPA for traditional path. VCU takes more out of state than Upstate.

I’m not worried about 508.

I’m just evaluating if it is worth going through the process of taking the MCAT (I.e. the effort to study, the money, and overall stress) to go to VCU over Upstate.

Please advise.

Hello @PPofEngrDr sorry to message you in this thread. I am a new member so cannot DM you. Just found that I have to become a junior member before i can DM any member. Read your post about UIUC PREP . My son is in the same boat and finding it extremely difficult to decide. I was elated to see your post. I and my son would really appreciate it if we can talk/discuss with you/your son over the phone. Would it be possible for you to DM me and we can take it from there. Eagerly waiting for your response. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. (super anxious parent here :frowning: )

Do you gets stressed out with standardized tests? If you are a good test taker and scored well in SAT IIs and AP/IBs it’s not that difficult to get around 515 without over sweating.

If you want to have an option to apply out then go to VCU, but if you are content with any MD is OK then go to upstate.

@vayu30 Understand, I will DM you and let’s keep that discussion off this thread as it has no relevance here.

There is nothing wrong with Rutgers as NJ resident to do pre-med. Take MCAT and apply via regular route MD.

@dbsmd2027
'I’m not worried about 508.

I’m just evaluating if it is worth going through the process of taking the MCAT (I.e. the effort to study, the money, and overall stress) to go to VCU over Upstate.

Please advise.
@dbsmd2027
Please do not worry about MCAT. You do not have to spend a lot. If you prepare well, MCAT 508 is one of the lowest threshold for bs/md. VCU over Upstate.

@Vicky2019

Your S will most likely qualify for Instate tuition by the time of matriculation into med school at Stony Brook, since it is a state school and most state schools have that policy for their direct med route students. Just confirm that with them though.

I don’t how much of a factor the above will be in your decision making, but my pick will be PSU/Jeff even without a scholarship. Your S may save on tuition if he finishes the course work early due to APs/summer courses and engages in research work which they may not charge you for or will be nominal (again confirm with them about be policies).

Depends. I believe you got into these as RD applicant. If so, you already have an advantage and likely stronger than most of the roughly 50% or so who got into Penn via ED/legacy. And then others like sports, URM etc. So chances are you can expect to be in the top 1/3 of your batch. If you stay motivated, it can be fair to predict it could be even top 20% 
 With that, even if you can’t make the cut at UPenn med, you will be a strong candidate at many others. Top it off with the exposure to numerous medical ECs at UPenn med during the undergrad there.

@ata2020
A T10 UG does not guarantee a MD admission at all. Assume WL are polite rejections.
For regular route MD, GPA and MCAT score are used as a filter. Do you think your C can get the required GPA at T10 UG ? If not, is it worth going to T10 UG? Did your C get any bs/md interviews ? What are his/her stats ?