***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Got Scholarship for both. It will be 20k undergrad per year for both VCU and Adelphi. Out of state for both for med school.

What do you mean ? Minimum GPA and MCAT related information for matriculating into SOM. Search this thread using ‘Drexel’.

UPenn vs. Brown as wants to go on pre-med track.

Upenn: stressful, cutthroat premed environment but will challenge you in a way which is good. I heard grading curve with premed courses is harsh at Upenn.
Brown: very liberal, can get higher GPA and very collaborative and a happy place.

99% wants to go to med school so which is better as med school req. GPA and MCAT. Heard Brown med school favors their UG students into their med school. And also heard Upenn people do Post Bacc to boost their GPA for med school. If anyone have experience with any of the schools really appreciated all the inputs. Any one have any member or know any family member that went to Upenn and then med school.

Brown over UPenn
Post Bacc are for repairing damaged GPA by taking classes within SOM in many cases. Why would you do it unless your UG GPA is in 3.0-3.5 vicinity.? If you think you will be in this situation, run away before you damage your GPA. You have other option-Brown.

My son is a CV scholar which is given purely based on academic performance. Chancellor is also a great scholarship but other factors are used. I don’t know how well Chancellor scholarship winners do as premeds. Vandy is slightly grade deflationary in premed classes but they claim those with > 3.8 GPA have 98% success rate. Plenty of research and volunteering opportunities and rated 1st or second happiest campus.

I never bring caste system into discussions but merely responding to our good friend. Please refer to prior posts.

It is not any offensive use of caste/caste system word. For that matter, caste should not be a taboo word for Indians IMO. It is a fact of life in India.

Has ANYONE received a result from AMC after being in the UC list?

I agree with you on that. However I am also aware of the sensitivity of the term/system.

It is used to refer- inclusion vs exclusion in general.

Hey all,
I recently got admitted to NJIT/NJMS as well as TCNJ/NJMS. Trying to decide where I should do my undergrad. Background on me - used to a city background, money isn’t really an issue. NJIT is a full-ride while TCNJ would be around 25k/year. Do people who go to either undergrad school end up with similar resumes? I know TCNJ people have a few bigger names, since Princeton is so closeby, but does that really matter? In terms of educational content/opportunities, which one is better?

NJIT is in a urban location near Newak, NJ where as TCNJ is in a secluded area near Trenton, NJ. Princeton is about 10-12 miles from TCNJ . NJIT is next door to NJMS.

Biggest attraction is not Princeton(a small town) but NYC and Philadelphia.

@grtd2010 Thank you and I do not want to be in position of doing post bacc at all and I do not think I will be in that position, but I heard in the other blog for Upenn. Does Upenn have very bad grade curving for premed courses to get good grades. Is just am leaning towards Upenn but this kind of scares me about GPA for med school since is like about one hour and Brown is about 4 hours away and see more opportunities at Upenn if I want to do minor at wharton to keep my options open but not sure if I would handle cutthroat and stress environment.

@NoviceDad, @SriSow, @grtd2010
Thank you so much for your perspective. Very helpful.

I double checked my math and did the calculation again because I don’t want to provide wrong guidance to my S either!

Everyone’s perspective is different. In this forum we discuss and share perspectives so we can take the right decision. What seems important to me may not seem important to others. This is exactly why it is hard to judge which BS/MD is better than the others. Getting into one BS/MD is all we seek in this forum.

Since we needed to make the decision in our family, I ended up doing the calculations which included more than the tution.
 
My CALCULATIONS:

OOS Stony Brook $43,761 per yr. For 4 years - 175K
OOS Stony Brook (Renaissance) Medical school $89,837 - For 4 years (359K)
Total SBU/Renaissance for 8 yrs program is: 535K (without scholarship)

Total SBU/Renaissance for 8 yrs program is 448K (with scholarship) for us.

OOS PSU $53,056; For 3 years (159K)
OOS SKMC $83985; For 4 years (336K))
Total OOS 7 years PSU/SKMC: 495K
In state tution for PSU for 3 years – 105K; Total 7 years PSU/SKMC: 441K

Stony brook undergrad ranking -91.
Stony Brook University–SUNY is ranked No. 58 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 84 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.
Matriculation requirement: Maintain a minimum 3.4 GPA. Successfully complete and attain a cumulative MCAT score comparable to the national average of medical school matriculates.

PSU undergrad ranking -57. Thomas Jefferson University (Kimmel) is ranked No. 57 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 52 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.
Matriculation requirement: Maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA. MCAT – 504

Summary: There isn’t much of a difference in cost between these colleges. Which of these colleges is better than others depend on each person’s perspective and if they think the extra cost makes sense when they come with their respective decisions!

PSU/SKMC tution OOS was 40K less than SBU/Renaissance (without scholarship)

PSU/SKMC tution OOS was 47K more than SBU/Renaissance (with scholarship)

PSU/SKMC tution in-state was 7K more than SBU/Renaissance (with scholarship)

These two colleges are important and relevant for us because we need to make the decision as a family regarding which one is better. I definitely could use advise from others and appreciate the help

@walter2020 Wow well deserved. Congratulations !!!

No I have not heard at all, but my interview in person was cancelled due to Covid19, but had great interview over phone about an hour but have not heard back at all. But I have great UG option to choose from Brown and Upenn so we will see what happens.

Hi did you get email about being under consideration.

yes, we got that email mid march. we had in person interview in late feb.

Ok Thanks had interview over phone in mid March.