***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Here is the original comment:

No BSMD programs materialized for us. We are left with the following UG options for pre-med.

How should we proceed? From NJ, cost not a major consideration.

1. Acceptance (in Biology related majors within college of arts and sciences): WashU, Emory, Georgetown, NYU, Boston University, UPitt ($10K/year scholarship), Stevens Institute of Tech. ($26K/year scholarship), Rutgers
  2. Waitlisted: JHU, Vandy and Rice
  3. Open to try as a transfer student for T10 UG schools

I am assuming that none of the BS/MD programs have a transfer opportunity, but wanted to confirm.

@ata2020

Mt Sinai allows transfer in sophomore year as EAP program, it is unique in the sense any UG student from any university can apply. Ofc, just like everything else it is not a walk in park.
Not should/could argument. If MD is the goal, focus on that, why waste freshman year time to figure out transfer requirements to T10 UG? It feels like running after mirage.
From your previous postings, she has admission to very good UGs, finance is not an issue, I would advice my child to focus on the school that has offered an admission to you. Someone advised me in the pat, love the school that loves you, you won’t be disappointed.

Surprised that inspite of being a NJ resident even NJMS did not grant an interview with an impressive SAT 1570 score. She should have applied more widely for bs/md. Did any one from her public magnet HS get into NJMS ?
Some times they restrict the number of those interviewed from each school.
Was her school a County Health Academy HS in NJ ?

Yes, but you can find many schools with Early Admission program to SOM like University of Florida, Flexmed at Mount Sinai etc. Some of these are open to any college students in USA.

Flexmed offers early admission to Mount Sinai School of Medicine. It does not have an UG program. You complete UG at your institution( any college).

In a long career as MD, one year salary will have very little value when discounted at an appropriate discount rate to its Present Value (PV). It is a calculation found in a Financial Calculator if you have one. It should not even be a factor in discussion.

Wow! Very impressive stats, sure your child will thrive wherever and whatever path taken to medicine.

It is not entirely surprising to not have landed any interviews, given that she is from a magnet HS. Nothing to be taken personally.

Was speaking to this student some time back (junior to C in their accelerated program by a year) who is from a highly reputed very difficult to get into magnet school. Was very surprised to learn that from their batch at the school, only 4 or 5 made it into any BS/BA/MD programs out of some 70 odd. Obviously they are all super achieving, highly motivated and driven and have had similar kind of exposure to health care related ECs and the whole 9 yards from day one of joining the magnet. At least half of the class may have applied to highly overlapping set of BS/MD programs, killing each other’s chances in the process. The admissions committee folks must be going crazy deciding who to call for interviews out of that very impressive bunch since at most of these programs it is very rare to call more than 4 students from the same school for interview and offer acceptances to more than 2.

If any of them is unique and eye catching either by being truly outstanding even within this outstanding batch, or URM or someone with a unique life experience or situation or excels in sports also etc, then he or she can be blocker for everyone else from the same school applying to the same set of programs, both in terms of interviews and acceptances.

Yes, if you have a bs/md option, consider it seriously. According to AAMC statistics, any one with GPA >= 3.7 and MCAT score >= 518 has nearly 87% chance to get into at least ONE medical school, not necessarily a T20 school. The medical school application list is very important in regular route MD. Also consider, the appetite of the student to go through another medical school application cycle ( usually 20-30 schools) in another 3 years ( at the end of Junior year).

While I will leave it to @Doctor145 to provide the clarification, the way I interpret is, if the undergrad rigor doesn’t challenge the students of direct med programs enough, once they matriculate to the med school, they will have a difficult time catching up with traditional route class mates who worked their butts off to be in that class. (However sufficiently rigorous direct med students stand an advantage over their traditional peers, since they are not stressed out or tired by the time they start the med school).

By this calculation, those who went straight from UG to SOM, would be doing residency compared to these GAP year plus cohort. There must be a reason for this much delay nearly 4.9 years.

Has she gotten any price breaks from any of the above? With the kind of stats and accomplishments, I think should have gotten the presidential award at BU. If any such awards, recommend either BU or Emory. (Know Georgetown and NYU don’t give a dime and WashU is ultra competitive at undergrad).

By the way from the list of potential transfers to next year or later, you may want to drop Cornell and U Chicago, not ideal choices for pre med bound students.

Here PSU/SKMC is the combination not UPenn medical school (a highly ranked ).

Hello. Sorry for the confusion, but when I said extra year, I meant that in the Penn program, you save an extra year compared to an 8 year program, and that saving this extra year is well worth it. The reason that I mentioned the Uconn undergraduate experience, is that typically it these kinds of programs, even as an undergrad, you have a lot of exposure to the medical school. So part of the bad undergrad experience was the issue that they had with the medical school. They did not like the instructors they met at the medical school and did not find them to be especially helpful or supportive, which they believed to be indicative of how the experience would be at the medical school. One of the issues with Uconn undergrad as they felt like there was not many internship or research opportunities, as the school is pretty rural. They also messed up their premed classes, but luckily he caught it. He also felt that the pre med advisors were often hard to reach and talk to. I can elaborate on the VCU program. Is there any specific questions you have about the program, or do you want details just in genera?

@ata2020

My apologies but your D is chasing prestige.
Whether you are in t10 or t20 undergrad program, the quality is not much different.

I suggest you all need to sit down as a family and seriously think about this question - what is your D’s goal? becoming a physician? or something else?

While that may be true, you also have the consider that one year less of schooling means one less year of tuition. If you know you want to be a doctor, a 7 year program will get you there quicker. And while in the long run, one year of salry is probably only a small percentage of your total salary, that one year can account to an extra couple of hundred thousand dollars, which is no small amount. However, I do agree that that one year salary would be a minimal aspect in consideration, but if you are interested in the medical field, there is no reason not to do a 7 year program if you have the chance. But whether it be a 7 or 8 year program, the penn program is a phenomenal option.

No, one year at SBU is essentially free tuition and nearly 20k room and board while the savings of nearly ~110k from not paying PSU OOS tuition. It is simple math. It has been done by the poster.

You are just spinning 7 yrs vs 8 yrs without paying any attention to real numbers. Please have an excel sheet and put down the numbers and do a present value analysis (PVA) if you can.

As far as PSU/SKMC vs SBU goes, Stoney brook and SKMC are nearly ranked as peers. SKMC and Temple LKSOM are ranked as peers. It is not SBU vs UPenn SOM. UPenn does not have a 7 yr bs/md program.

General observation, lately so many posters are popping up without any background/history as a parent, MD, an applicant, a consultant, a current BS/MD student, a future applicant.

As far as PSU/SKMC vs SBU goes, Stoney brook and SKMC are nearly ranked as peers. SKMC and Temple LKSOm are ranked as peers. It is not SBU vs UPenn SOM. UPenn does not have a 7 yr bs/md program.

@Doctor145, @SriSow

FYI - For DM (or PM) to be enabled for the user (following the instructions you provided), the user must have crossed 15 posts on CC. Otherwise they won’t see the option when clicking on someone’s profile. So suggest @SriSow to make up some funny posts here (like those of some senior members here, even without their intent) :slight_smile: