***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

How many APs a school offers vs a competitive public magnet high school admission ? One can register to take test on their own for as many APs as one wants from their home school district starting from Freshman. Pay the fees, study on own and take the AP tests. Some have done it to save tuition in future if they go to at places like NYU. This is just all speculation/hearsay. Any published data or study to back it up ? I guess giltch/no data.

[/quote]

The issue is how do we understand the rigor expected by the best schools (say T10 or BS MDs) and meet their minimum requirements to be in the league for competition and not score poorly.

Ivys typically look for anywhere between 14-16 APs capped by what the HS offers for a given student. I would think BS MDs follow the same suit but mostly to the lower side (10-14 APs) because of EC demands. Again if someone comes up with higher APs and sets the bar higher that person might be looked upon favorably.

The other confusion is with the IB and AP courses which one is better or they equivalent? One can have their own theories and there are no guide lines. It might depend on the class and school strength. For example the standard of the school comes into play as some one suggested - that a 3,7 at a highly ranked high school might be better than a 3.9 else where. Will that standard of teaching and competition also come into play for APs also is unclear. Is someone even evaluating this in the schools? In the absence of standards for such variances there will be always some confusion but a general bench marking of the profiles of successful candidates would give you a range to be within to be considered for interview or admission. That is all one can try to do.

[/quote]

14-16 APs? How is that even physically possible? Public magnet schools only offer 5-8, including the senior year, especially in BCPM. Would a Ivy or BSMD reject if you have less than 10 APs/IBs?

The issue is how do we understand the rigor expected by the best schools (say T10 or BS MDs) and meet their minimum requirements to be in the league for competition and not score poorly.

Ivys typically look for anywhere between 14-16 APs capped by what the HS offers for a given student. I would think BS MDs follow the same suit but mostly to the lower side (10-14 APs) because of EC demands. Again if someone comes up with higher APs and sets the bar higher that person might be looked upon favorably.

The other confusion is with the IB and AP courses which one is better or they equivalent? One can have their own theories and there are no guide lines. It might depend on the class and school strength. For example the standard of the school comes into play as some one suggested - that a 3,7 at a highly ranked high school might be better than a 3.9 else where. Will that standard of teaching and competition also come into play for APs also is unclear. Is someone even evaluating this in the schools? In the absence of standards for such variances there will be always some confusion but a general bench marking of the profiles of successful candidates would give you a range to be within to be considered for interview or admission. That is all one can try to do.

[/quote]

14-16 APs? How is that even physically possible? Public magnet schools only offer 5-8, including the senior year, especially in BCPM. Would a Ivy or BSMD reject if you have less than 10 APs/IBs?

[/quote]

No one knows. Every one is speculating here. Taking 10-16 APs does not necessarily increase your chances for bsmd. D’s went to a County Health Academy School with only 4 APs offered and got into a few bsmd programs.

D’s school, there were only 4 AP’s offered - APUSH, AP Literature, AP Cal AB and AP Spanish. Students did well in spite of all this. However, they had four years of health care related courses as a Health Academy school including many dual credit course with Rutgers.

That was a pity, they chose to attend that school! Or was it their parents who made the decision for them? Perhaps they would have been more well rounded and done even far better having attended a regular rigorous public or private high school.

FYI, D attended Stanford during HS and has a transcript from Stanford with 4.0 GPA.

@rk2017 @"BSMD mom

No school is going to give you the clarity re: the count of students who get weeded out by not getting committee letters.

We know brown is low 90s and JHU is also high (80s i think). Almost everyone in non engineering claims to be “premed” and people drop out for variety of reasons… too hard, not motivated, personal reasons, family reasons, other interests… the list goes on.

I do know that Rice has super grade inflation, similar to Brown and students are very happy. IA motivated student can easily find the research and volunteer experiences to check the box. No one is going to give it to you and that’s true at any school.

I remember reading a recent article that talks about Rice being the second happiest campus in the US. (do not want to start a ratings war LOL).

@ROSSX2 any aspects of life that has happy rankings, all boomers are very interested. :smile:

@grtd2010, @rk2017 - Thanks for sharing the information. I looked at the link provided by @grtd2010 and found that its not easy to become a resident. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate.

@grtd2010 @mom2boys1999 Yes, UF engineering is much better than UCF engineering. My D was accepted into UF and Georgia Tech Engineering, as well as Emory for Premed. However, you must understand that Med school admission is getting more competitive by the minute. So, maintaining a 4.0 GPA does not guarantee admission (and maintaining a high GPA in Engineering is HARD). If the goal is Engineering, choose UF over UCF. If not, I would go for UCF’s BS/MD program.

UF’s SOM is ranked higher than UCF’s COM; however, the MHP program is not guaranteed until sophomore year, which means there is no way of knowing. So, at this point, it might be better to go somewhere with a guarantee. (Remember getting into the MHP program requires a high GPA. It’s just that you do not have to write the MCAT). At the end of the day, UCF has the same match rates.

My daughter selected her current school as her #1 choice. She only got the NMS from the school, not the $2500 from NMS.

@grtd2010 Well that is my thought process. My D is still considering UF since it has great opportunities. UCF is essentially guaranteed given she meets the requirements; however, she would have to meet or even exceed these requirements at UF w/out any assurance. What would you suggest?

D’s school, there were only 4 AP’s offered - APUSH, AP Literature, AP Cal AB and AP Spanish. Students did well in spite of all this. However, they had four years of health care related courses as a Health Academy school including many dual credit course with Rutgers.

That was a pity, they chose to attend that school! Or was it their parents who made the decision for them? Perhaps they would have been more well rounded and done even far better having attended a regular rigorous public or private high school.

FYI, D attended Stanford during HS and has a transcript from Stanford with 4.0 GPA.

So she got accepted to Stanford undergrad?

@Vicky2019

It is in best interest to have a direct conversation with the program folks instead of relying on third party information. That’s what I had stressed on too in my earlier post.

Forgot to mention about internship and other opportunities in Research Triangle Park (RTP). May need a car though.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn’t Bio Technology, one of the most reputed magnets offer IB curriculum? What about another one of the most reputed, Bergen Academies?

@sguni_2016 it depends on the HS school itself in your district so our school offers 12 AP’s and took only 8 AP’s and still got into two Ivy’s Upenn and Brown, if that makes difference. I do not think having all AP’s gains admission to IVY but having too less might affect chances but that’s not the only thing and they look at so much other stuff also.

Select which ever your D likes and wants to pursue.

So she got accepted to Stanford undergrad?

D studied Computer Science during two summers at Stanford while in HS and applied to many CS programs for UG. She got into UCB(CS) but preferred BS/MD.

Hello everyone; I am seeking advice for college decisions. I applied to about 13 BS/MDs and only Rutgers/NJMS emerged for me. I am deciding between this program (OOS) and an instate selective pre-med program.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on pursuing Rutgers/NJMS or going the traditional route?

Thank you in advance

@wmhspb

Please provide other details

• which other colleges are you considering - names, aid
  • what are the cost differences
  • your stats; your objectives

@NoviceDad

I am between Rutgers/NJMS and my state flagship university pre-med. Cost is about the same for undergrad with presidential scholarship at Rutgers.

My stats:
ACT: 36
GPA: 4.0/5.11
APs: 12 by the end of this year
EC: Lots of volunteering, and some research

Goals: I want to pursue medicine as my career and I’m not sure if I should settle with NJMS.

@wmhspb

What exact concerns do you have with NJMS? or Rutgers?
NJMS is a good medical school.

What does your flagship in-state univ offers that you think you will miss out on?