***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

What kind of Early Assurance Programs(EAP) are there at Emory and UNC?

No EAP (Early Admission/Assurance Program) to SOM at UNC or Emory from google search. Please ask UNC or Emory to confirm the existence of EAP.

Regarding SBU residency requirments and how to apply, please see the below.
https://www.stonybrook.edu/bursar/residency/
One can not gain residency just like that. It is determined by State not SBU SOM.

My son is at Rice. I can answer some of these questions.

Incoming class is around 950.
Around 200 apply to med school.
About 85% get into med school.
Baylor takes 30 including 6 who are Rice/Baylor students
Rice will give a committee letter to whoever asks for one. Their policy is not to deny it to anyone. I am sure the quality of the letter will be variable

@grtd2010 and rk2017 In continuation of the topic

[/quote]

How many APs a school offers vs a competitive public magnet high school admission ? One can register to take test on their own for as many APs as one wants from their home school district starting from Freshman. Pay the fees, study on own and take the AP tests. Some have done it to save tuition in future if they go to at places like NYU. This is just all speculation/hearsay. Any published data or study to back it up ? I guess giltch/no data.

[/quote]

The issue is how do we understand the rigor expected by the best schools (say T10 or BS MDs) and meet their minimum requirements to be in the league for competition and not score poorly.

Ivys typically look for anywhere between 14-16 APs capped by what the HS offers for a given student. I would think BS MDs follow the same suit but mostly to the lower side (10-14 APs) because of EC demands. Again if someone comes up with higher APs and sets the bar higher that person might be looked upon favorably.

The other confusion is with the IB and AP courses which one is better or they equivalent? One can have their own theories and there are no guide lines. It might depend on the class and school strength. For example the standard of the school comes into play as some one suggested - that a 3,7 at a highly ranked high school might be better than a 3.9 else where. Will that standard of teaching and competition also come into play for APs also is unclear. Is someone even evaluating this in the schools? In the absence of standards for such variances there will be always some confusion but a general bench marking of the profiles of successful candidates would give you a range to be within to be considered for interview or admission. That is all one can try to do.

So a committee letter is useless if everyone gets it.

How many APs a school offers vs a competitive public magnet high school admission ? One can register to take test on their own for as many APs as one wants from their home school district starting from Freshman. Pay the fees, study on own and take the AP tests. Some have done it to save tuition in future if they go to at places like NYU. This is just all speculation/hearsay. Any published data or study to back it up ? I guess giltch/no data.

[/quote]

The issue is how do we understand the rigor expected by the best schools (say T10 or BS MDs) and meet their minimum requirements to be in the league for competition and not score poorly.

Ivys typically look for anywhere between 14-16 APs capped by what the HS offers for a given student. I would think BS MDs follow the same suit but mostly to the lower side (10-14 APs) because of EC demands. Again if someone comes up with higher APs and sets the bar higher that person might be looked upon favorably.

The other confusion is with the IB and AP courses which one is better or they equivalent? One can have their own theories and there are no guide lines. It might depend on the class and school strength. For example the standard of the school comes into play as some one suggested - that a 3,7 at a highly ranked high school might be better than a 3.9 else where. Will that standard of teaching and competition also come into play for APs also is unclear. Is someone even evaluating this in the schools? In the absence of standards for such variances there will be always some confusion but a general bench marking of the profiles of successful candidates would give you a range to be within to be considered for interview or admission. That is all one can try to do.

[/quote]

These are all speculations and no data to back it up. Not many schools offer 14-16 APs and they have students going to Ivies etc. D’s school offered only 4 AP courses in 4 years and only two until junior year (that too non-science courses). They had students accepted into Ivies/JHU/UCB/BSMD etc. You can believe in what ever you want.

I had a quick question for those who are knowledgeable about the National Merit Scholarship process.

My son get a scholarship of 2500 from the NMS foundation as well as 25 K/ year NM scholarship sponsored by the school he plans to attend. Can he pick both.?

The fine print says he can pick only one NMS “sponsored” scholarship. But it also says if he rejects one he rejects all.

We are totally confused and we have tried to contact NMS multiple times with no luck. Their office is closed due to COVID 19 and the last date is next Wednesday.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Usually most pick the larger amount sponsored by School he/she plans to attend. Usually, it is half tuition or $25000 in your case.

grtd2010

[/quote]

These are all speculations and no data to back it up. Not many schools offer 14-16 APs and they have students going to Ivies etc. D’s school offered only 4 AP courses in 4 years and only two until junior year (that too non-science courses). They had students accepted into Ivies/JHU/BSMD etc. You can believe in what ever you want.

[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. My DD school offers 15 APs.

Perhaps you missed reading my point that the rigor is capped by and is defined by the maximum possible advanced courses offered by that school that the student takes advantage of. So students are mostly compared from their own school districts as I understand.

You could do all that and still not get into IVYs - that is a different matter.

These are all speculations and no data to back it up. Not many schools offer 14-16 APs and they have students going to Ivies etc. D’s school offered only 4 AP courses in 4 years and only two until junior year (that too non-science courses). They had students accepted into Ivies/JHU/BSMD etc. You can believe in what ever you want.

[/quote]

Perhaps you missed reading my point that the rigor is capped by and is defined by the maximum possible advanced courses offered by that school that the student takes advantage of. So students are mostly compared from their own school districts as I understand.

[/quote]

That is the point taking 14-16 APs is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition as they say in math. So why kill your DC with this burden of 14-16 APs ?

@ricesondad

Will get back to you this evening since I can not reach my DD now.

If my memory serves well, it is possible for both. My DD got both OU Free Tuition as NMF and also the $2500 ($625 for each semester for 4 semesters).

On the topic of AP classes, it is important to note that for colleges and bd md programs, you are only judged by what’s available at your school. For example, say your school only offer 6 AP classes, and you take all of them, you will be at no disadvantage to someone whose school offered 10 AP and they took all 10. The admissions officials are assigned to regions and have a very good understanding of the different school’s in their region curriculum. To get in a top program, I dont find it necessary to take every AP class available. I is important not to take too many APs and have your gpa suffer because of it. Getting 3 A in 3 ap classes looks better than taking 5 and getting 1 A and 4 B.

[/quote]

[/quote]

My point was that, if someone had 5 APs by junior year and gotten 5s in all of them, pretty much every program or school applied to expects a continuity of momentum. Any thing less than 10 in total will leave a void and definitely raise flags or eye brows and will act against one especially with every other applicant listing a dozen of them on their transcripts or application. Even though technically they say it won’t act against one if the school doesn’t offer any more, who are they more likely to pick for that seat or scholarship?
(By the way C didn’t want to do APUSH in sophomore year or AP CS nor could APFL in senior year bcoz of Anatomy, but did cover everything possible BCPM)

[/quote]

My point was that, if someone had 5 APs by junior year and gotten 5s in all of them, pretty much every program or school applied to expects a continuity of momentum. Any thing less than 10 in total will leave a void and definitely raise flags or eye brows and will act against one especially with every other applicant listing a dozen of them on their transcripts or application. Even though technically they say it won’t act against one if the school doesn’t offer any more, who are they more likely to pick for that seat or scholarship?

(By the way C didn't want to do APUSH in sophomore year or AP CS nor could APFL in senior year bcoz of Anatomy, but did cover everything possible BCPM)

[/quote]

D’s school, there were only 4 AP’s offered - APUSH, AP Literature, AP Cal AB and AP Spanish. Students did well in spite of all this. However, they had four years of health care related courses as a Health Academy school including many dual credit course with Rutgers.

@grtd2010

quote -“That is the point taking 14-16 APs is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition as they say in math. So why kill your DC with this burden of 14-16 APs ?”

Unfortunately if a school offers 15 APs, those who do all the 15 (max rigor) get into IVYs from THAT school. Others who do 5 or 10 will be considered of less rigor. So one is forced to do maximum possible APs.

If another school only offers 4 maximum APs then 4 is the max possible for that school and they don’t have to do 10 APs.

Is this the truth as stated by you ? There are several factors which taken together will determine the outcome. No one really knows. Even the famous case recently against Harvard could not decipher much about how admissions in Ivies are decided.

@grtd2010

My understanding is that the rigor of courses taken by a student is based on the total courses taken out of the possible maximum offered at a given school.

I think it is a necessary condition but not sufficient one for admission into good schools from my conversations with counselors. Because, students from the same school district are typically compared for the number of APs taken and their grades as a measure of rigor. So if one student who does all 15 APs (and does well) is in the same applicant pool he will set the bar higher for others for that year. Others who do less APs or with less grades will score less in terms of rigor.

I am not disputing that the other parts like essays and ECs will not impact when applications are holistically evaluated for admission.

D’s school, there were only 4 AP’s offered - APUSH, AP Literature, AP Cal AB and AP Spanish. Students did well in spite of all this. However, they had four years of health care related courses as a Health Academy school including many dual credit course with Rutgers.

That was a pity, they chose to attend that school! Or was it their parents who made the decision for them? Perhaps they would have been more well rounded and done even far better having attended a regular rigorous public or private high school.

–