***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@dblazer - First of all, thank you for taking the time from your busy life to help younger/prospective students. Your post on “residency match” was very helpful. I really appreciated the details.

Most applicants in this forum are High School seniors who will be starting their BS/MD journey in a few months or students who have opted for traditional UG route. Would it be possible for you to share some tips for the Undergrad part of the journey?

I am sure these students would benefit from your experience in the undergrad portion of your journey, tips on volunteering/shadowing/research opportunities or what courses to take (or not take) based on the lessons learnt from your experience.

@Vicky2019 Trust me, I would certainly have been willing to share advice on the undergraduate portion, however, I do not feel well-qualified since I did not apply out of my BS/MD program and certainly did not make any special preparations to do so :smile: I would refer most people to student doctor network pre-medical forums where there are many helpful threads.

We are in NJ. No direct flight to OU.
She does have the NMF scholarship.
Other choices are -
AMC/SIENA
Interview at Cincinnati next week
PItt interview in Sept
WashU regular UG
Rutgers Honors

atulsagarwal,

Isn’t the decision for OU this Friday? Were you able to visit the campus? Unless you lived the Midwest before, it will be a total different environment from the East Coast as OU is in the middle of no where. WashU in St. Louis is a totally different midwest feel as that campus is right in the heart of big city.

What is your current list of faves?

For all those that are considering Stony Brook - Just saw the official 2020 match list for Stony Brook - Yale, Brigham, Cleveland Clinic, Stanford, Hopkins, Washington Children’s Hospital, Columbia, UCSF, Mount Sinai.

In case you decide to commit to SB, please DM me.

Yes, OK city has no direct flight from EWR. You have other bs/md options as well as Rutgers-NB. Rutgers-NB is a good option for a NJ resident. WASU UG is not easy as pre-med. You & your D should consider all options and then decide what is best for her.

@atulsagarwal

My 2 cents. Keep Pitt away from decision making. If that happens, worry about it at that time to transfer.

Assume Rutgers and Wash are the UG and not BS/MD.

AMC is great but Sienna has few downsides per few posts. Also AMC/Sienna is very expensive.
If u get Cincy, consider between Cincy and OU. Each has its own merits.
Cincy, very easy to become IS for medical college. Also Cincy Ped is a higher rated if interested in ped.
OU as I mentioned has flexibility and it opens doors. Even with a very high OOS medical college fees, it came out less than IS fees of CA since they are generous with NMS aid and flexible to do UG in 3 or 4 years. So you do UG in 3 years and get paid for 2 years of free aid for MD than 1 year (you are talking $50k just for that decision). Though it is inconvenient for not having direct flight and 2 different locations, they are not deal breaker. Also it is important to learn different culture, people, values since that is a reality and more true in medical profession. You can not put a board for your future practice, if you are x and y, appts allowed and if you are a and b not allowed.

For example my D managed with out a car and she also flew with a 1 stop. She is born and raised in CA and ventured to out of state only during interview. As a parent I was more concerned (since I started my life in US in midwest for 5 years before settling in CA). But every thing worked out well.

@atulsagarwal If Rutgers-NB is a BS/MD program, certainly consider that.

another observation, refrain from using your name as your CC handle.

Congratulations to your D and family!

Rutgers- Honors at New Brunswick is a college wide honors program unless she was invited to interview for Global Health Program as Presidential Scholar and selected.

@atulsagarwal - You mentioned earlier that your child got into Siena/AMC. Siena being in NY is close to NJ. You could pick Siena college/AMC. The matriculation requirements are 3.5 GPA and has no MCAT requirement.

If you get Pitt, you can choose that.

Thanks @rk2017

@grtd2010 - Congratulations to your D and your family on her admission to Temple LKSOM :slight_smile: Awesome!

Folks

re: UPitt GAP

What does the communication from UPitt say?

Are you required to commit to Pitt undergrad now? irrespective of the interview outcome?
If no, what is your status with UPitt? Application under review? waitlisted? admitted?

How will you avoid “double depositing”?

Anyone son or daughter plan on enrolling to OU MHSP?

No. Many kids are in the “under consideration” status and waiting for their final result.

There is another college confidential forum called “RPI/AMC” as well.

Good Luck!

Congratulations! to your child on OU MHSP.

There have been some discussions including by @atulsagarwal . You should try searching for “OU MHSP” in this forum and you will find relevant discussions…

Good Luck!

@MerkedXD & @PathophysiologyFTW ,
I went to USC for grad school and loved it. I had a wonderful experience as a student there and the networking opportunity has been great. But…
Depending on what you want, ask yourself if you want to experience undergrad in LA at the prestigious USC in S. California, which is rich in culture and diversity, but will have to go through the drill again with Med school application process (btw, you will probably need 1,000 volunteering hours for med school application), and will have a large debt even before you go to med school. On the positive note, USC is not grade deflated like UC systems so that is a good thing.
On the other hand, you are almost there with TAMU (you should not have any issues with the MCAT requirements at your caliber), but you will be in Texas. However, you are unlikely to have a big debt after undergrad and medical school debt is low if you are TX resident.
Something you can also consider years from now… if you go to TAMU and do well in med school (and I am sure you will!), nothing will stop you from doing your residency at USC. Or if CA is what you want to experience, there are always UC Irvine, UCSD, UCLA, UC Riverside for S. California, and UCSF and UC Davis for N. California. Most of these schools are good-prestigious schools in CA. There are also a bunch of other private campuses in CA that I haven’t named, like Stanford…

Bylaws need a F2F interview; interviews pushed to September; if we need a shot at the interview [for those that were offered the interview], we would need to commit to UPitt.