***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Just received TCNJ and Pitt supplements, their deadlines are so short!

Thank you @rk2017 !

Congratulations @ramen2020 !

@ramen2020, congratulations! Are the supplemental forms extensive? When do you need to submit it by ?

@2FutureBSMDsMom 2 weeks for TCNJ, 4 weeks for Pitt. Donā€™t want to spoil the prompts, but itā€™s quite a lot of writing for such short notice

how important is foreign language for bs/md programs? i took spanish 2 freshman year, but then sophomore year i took up ap stats, and i havenā€™t taken spanish ever since. iā€™m a junior btw. would that look bad when i apply?

@9the0girl7
No

Hi Everyoneā€¦ Quick Question. I am set on becoming a doctor and have a 1580 SAT, and many great medical extracurricular to affirm my interest. I go to a top biomedical public magnet school with only 70 kids per grade. I am outside the top 7 of my grade, and thus in the top 20th percentileā€¦ not the top 10th. A lot of the BS/MD programs in my state require top 10% standing. Will I be auto-rejected or will the schools take into account the difficulty of my school?

@mcat1010

Q : Does the school mention the class rank on transcript?

@mcat1010
Simply apply to schools of your choice. Do not worry about 10% or 20% etc.

UPitt will say the maximum attainable % of GPA. Does it mean they call only people with perfect 4.0% GPA. NO. They call people with 3.9x or even less if other stuff are so glaring to invite students.

It is a matter of time and some money for the application fees. Just apply.

I have a question regarding selecting colleges for regular undergrad programs. If you want to become a physician at any cost, is it a good idea to select a small college like St. OLAF, Swarthmore, Ponoma ( I donā€™t know all the names still:) ) kind of liberal arts college with less students to faculty ratio or go to a regular state college or a top college like UCLA, NW, UNC etc. Is it advisable to apply to undergrad programs where there is also a bs/md program? Somehow I think if there is a bs/md program in a college, first preference is given to bs/md student. Is that true? Can someone share their viewpoint on how to select an undergrad college but still become a physician?

usually small liberal arts colleges (amherst, williams etc) perform the best, Ivies are not the best place for premed @mygrad2021

Thanks @ramen2020! There are few things I want to understand. Do these colleges prepare you well for MCAT exam and sciences. Do the students gain enough experience to be equally competitive with science and research focused?
The other confusion is if the student for any reason changes the mind and no longer want to go for medicine, will that be a disadvantage graduating from these colleges?

@GoldenRock

based on your experience on this forum how do you overall rank the below 5 good programs:

CASE PPSAP
Penn State
Rems
Upitt gap
BU SMED

Do all of these have waiting list like HPME in case specter candidates do not join ?

@mi2019

Do all of these have waiting list like HPME in case specter candidates do not join?
I donā€™t know. Some one familiar with any of the program will respond. Or you can check previous year threads and see if any one addressed.

All the 5 programs you have mentioned are equally good and will be in the same ball park. It is not one is Harvard and one is CNU medical school. UPitt medical rank highest but UG may not be that high. Personally I will go with
UPitt (if they give some merit aid for UG)
CWRU (they give $10-25k/year merit aid)
Rochester (they also give, but donā€™t know the amount)
Boston (very expensive)
Penn (multiple locations for UG and MD)

Reasons: Donā€™t ask, since it is my personal choice for all wacko reasons. Marginal variations and all are good if you get selected to any one of them.

Penn State may not give any merit aid, but they are very flexible with AP credit transfers have good chances of getting in, the residency match lists at Jeff are excellent and one may not pay for research credits after fulfilling the undergrad academic course requirements (find out)

BU gives price breaks of 20k for NMF finalists and limited presidential scholarships. Both these programs save a year in tuition and living expenses by default (accelerated).

The other 3 are not accelerated, give price breaks for undergrad and difficult to get in because of very few intakes (10-15)

Med school tuitions similar ranges for all of the above. Cost of living may vary by about 5k/year based on the location.

It is not clear though how the students at Penn State/Jeff program involve in medical research due to a big distance between the main campus and the Jeff med school in Philadelphia. Perhaps there are other facilities close by where they can be engaged. Students in the program or their parents will hopefully throw some light.

Hi everyone,
I am also applying to numerous BSMD dual degree programs. I have a couple of questions:
First, how important is research when it comes to these programs? I have around 20 hours of shadowing a neuro and general surgeon in India, but I have never formally conducted research aside from AP Capstone. I might have an opportunity this spring to do research, but that is too late.
Second, which schools require more letters of recommendation? I know BU is asking for 3 (one English, one Lab science, and one language/history), but what about other programs such as Penn State? REMS? UConn SPIM? Rutgers? Hofstra? PPSP? Drexel? Pitt? RPI? VCU GAP?
Any help would be appreciated!

@TheCurryBiscuit Usually BS/MD programs donā€™t count foreign shadowing experience. Research is extremely important for some (RPI for example) while others care more about primary care experience.

You can look up LoR requirements on each schoolā€™s website.

@ramen2020 does tcnj or upitt supplemental application require more letters of recommendation? Thanks!