***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brainbuilder02 - I wanted to clarify my statement about loans…

I meant that since a student is planning to study medicine, they need to be mindful/practical about finances in UG, especially since they usually have cheaper options for UG. Most students have to pay for medical school unless they choose MD/PhD (or if their parents are able to pay)

I do want to share an example of my colleague’s son - who went to Harvard for his Undergrad. Took a a few gap years doing research job and then got into Stanford medical school for MD/PhD with full ride.

Has anyone heard about students at Stony Brook matriculate into medical school early --making it a 7-year instead of 8-year program? Thanks! @brainbuilder02 Are students who graduate in 3 years able to matriculate one year early, or they must wait a year? Thanks!

One can only apply MD/PhD via regular route since there is another interview for PhD portion after MD acceptance. Most likely one may have to give up bs/md seat first and then one can apply for MD/PhD. One has to be accepted by medical school first, then only PhD portion of application moves to PhD interview phase.

I didn’t get to formally tour any, but based on virtual campus tours and knowledge about the general surrounding area, I think I would like it at all 3.

That’s what I was thinking about the guarantee, but the ‘prestige’ aspect is holding me back a little (thinking ahead to residencies and matching).

Why do you say it’s the best option from prestige/selectivity pov?

@srk2017 and others @brainbuilder02 did not mention UPenn as an option. Probably confused with another poster ubsmd2020 (UPenn and Brown as options).

I’m ready to commit to the path of medicine.

Financially it’s a pretty large chunk, but my parents have said not to worry about finances and that are willing to pay.

They see it as this amount will not matter too much in the long run, if it comes with the MD guarantee and eliminates application costs/ potential gap year costs.

What is your perspective?

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad ,
@grtd2010 ,
@srk2017

Thank you for the advice.
Sorry , I forgot to mention the Northeastern Scholarship since I mentioned the UG acceptance separately. They offered 18 K/Year.
Here is the detailed breakdown.

RPI - 30 K Scholarship - Will pay ~ 45 K /Year
U Rochester - 20 K Scholarship - Will pay ~ 58 K/Year
North Eastern – 18 K – Will pay ~ 58 K/Year
Upitt – 15 K – Will pay ~ 38 K/year

DS feels FSU would be away from home but still affordable. (would pay ~7 k more per year which is still affordable)

we want him/her to consider instate( UO A).So the conversation has started and hope it settles soon.

But again thank you for your valuable advice.

Yes, one has to prove financial independence and minimal outside parental support. Loans are considered as income to student for this purpose, hence a self-support source for student.

Why do you say this? Based only on cost?

You can probably do better than Drexel/Drexel bs/md via regular route MD.

The median GPA and MCAT score for UMD are GPA 3.8 and MCAT 512 and it is ranked 34 by USN.
University of Maryland SOM 3.81 512 34
Of course, cost is also a factor. UMD SOM has preference for in-state students.

Do you give preference to in-state applicants in the selection process? Yes, we do give preference to Maryland residents. … A significant number of non-resident applicants are invited to interview and are accepted each year. The average ratio for our freshmen class is 75% Maryland residents and 25% non-residents.

@Somo2020

Though some of the midwest/northeast schools are good, they are not worth that cost if money is tight. Go with UofA. Though UofA is big, it is to your advantage. If the student is focused can shine well among the large group of students.

For MD admission, the pre-req courses are basis science courses and any school provide the basics and still students need to study and get good score. Having family support will help students. Have a clear plan from day and distribute the energy for both GPA and EC from get go. Look at AAMC stat table for how many students from UofA got admitted to MD. It can not be empty.

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-2.pdf

It is 22 among the 150+ colleges listed in the table. Has sent 362 students for year 2019.

Not necessarily @Vicky2019. I believe the instate requirements for NJMS are pretty relaxed. The same may be the case with Stonybrook.

Nevertheless, we would have taken the same approach if in your position, send the C to PSU/Jeff regardless of the cost difference.

@Somo2020

While I still consider UofA is a good option, if your C is really impressed by any of the private schools above (college visits, people known studying there, research etc) you can still consider if cost is not prohibitive and weather not a barrier. Rochester and NE are coming to same, so I feel NE will be better option. I wish they had given a better package (known to give up to 30k for their most competitive applicants). RPI transfers 32 credits from APs, so may be able to graduate in 3 years (but has to pay extra attention towards GPA there), take a gap year to further boost ECs, MCAT and applications. I wouldn’t recommend OOS public schools though.

@Somo2020

Another data point for your consideration. Times higher ranking of UoA in life sciences being in top 100 world wide (98). That is pretty impressive! You can select from performance breakdown pull down options (or on the scores tab if you go to the main page for all universities) to see the ratings in various categories, which are used to arrive at one overall score. Though they have given relatively low ratings for teaching, seem to be solid in research, citations and industry income categories.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/subject-ranking/life-sciences#!/page/0/length/25/name/Arizona/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/scores

Also quite decently placed in medical rankings

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/subject-ranking/clinical-pre-clinical-health#!/page/0/length/25/name/University%20of%20Arizona/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

@applestudent23 -

If your C got into Drexel BA/MD program, he likely has stats to get into T20 school if applied ED. After all he got into T30 school (UNC) even with the BS/MD route. Your C gives up the option to apply Early Decision for BS/MD programs. If C had applied ED, ED1, ED2 – he would have likely gotten accepted to a more prestigious/selective UG?

We are not comparing Drexel UG with other UG’s. We are comparing the Drexel BS/MD program and the program is prestigious since it is (lot) more selective compared to UNC Chapel hill and UMD undergraduate programs.

Now, going back to your C’s options. He has the below options while he is still at home with you and has support from HS/family. I am only considering worst case scenario here -

1. Your child went to Drexel BS/MD, he becomes a doctor after 8 years due to the guarantee. If he works hard, he can get into good residency but if not, he is still a Doctor.
  2. For premed, UMD is a better option than UNC due to instate tution. Why pay more for UG when you any way have to pay for med school again!
  3. For regular undergrad (not premed), UNC is a much better school. It is more recognized if you are going for jobs or Masters programs afterwards. The extra money is worth it.

For options 2 & 3, risk is more. if things go wrong, then you are left with an undergrad degree from UMD or UNC with less prospects than what you had at end the end of high school.

With UNC and UMD, he needs a lot of motivation, self-control, determination etc. to remain focused on becoming a Doctor while there are of distractions all around him. Colleges don’t provide as much support as HS and since he will be in Dorm, family can only support from far away. He will have to deal with life struggles while trying to be focused on his career goals.

@Somo2020 - If your DS likes FSU, it’s a great school, Let him go… He will be successful where he is happy.

Thank you - I appreciate your guidance/perspective.

How reliable are Times higher rankings? These rankings are completely off from the US news and Niche ratings for many colleges. I was surprised to see Brown, Emory, Rice, Case, Boston U and few others on the lower side the research ratings. Does the research rating indicate any thing about the research opportunities available at those colleges?

I have heard so far that prestige of UG school does not matter when applying to MD school. When looking at data published by AAMC for the criteria used for ADCOMs for making decisions about which applicants receive interview invitations and acceptance offers, ‘selectivity of UG college’ is listed as one of the factors.

Any thoughts on this?