***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

My C also got an offer from RPI/AMC today after being in the ‘under consideration’ category for a month. Three offers to decide - UMKC, RPR/AMC, and Case PPSP. 6 yr, 7yr and 8yr programs. Pitt GAP still a possibility, but will require transfer etc making it a non-trivial decision. My older C went through the 7 year HPME but is not a big fan of the accelerated programs - strongly recommending PPSP. So, looks like PPSP will be the final choice. Big thank you to everybody for your timely feedbacks and suggestions!

One of the authors is from BU, may be they will implement it at their school first?

I am not sure how much support students would have from parents. :wink:

@grtd2010

Thank you for your response! I’m actually not a NJ resident. I’m out of state for all three options–Union, Cincinnati, and NJMS.

Do you still recommend NJMS?

You may want to go through their detailed explanation of methodology for getting a better scoop. Vaguely remembering from what I read from more than a year ago, research category refers to the volume of publications by faculty in that area in the past 5 years, normalized by the total number of faculty involved in research in that area. So for example, if an institution has a large number of new hire PhDs on staff, the rating is likely to go down, till the period they become more experienced and productive.

Citations refers to the impact of research. They deliberately kept them separate. So an institution with low volume can still be highly rated in impact and vice versa.

I think these 2 categories along with teaching are given the highest weights (also industry income and international collaborations, but to a lower extent) to come up with overall score based on which they are ranked.

@starplatinum

Based on your posts, you can eliminate Union/AMC. Choose between TCNJ/NJMS and Cincy where you feel comfortable and aligns with your goals. You are not going to be wrong in both decision when you practice.

Based on various posts in CC and SDN, fairly confident it is going to be IS fees for Cincy COM. OH is beautiful. Even for UG, you should be able to manage IS from second year. Many states it is impossible. Don’t know anything about NJ how hard it is easy to become IS.

But TCNJ/NJMS gives flexibility (don’t rush for 6 years, 7 years a balance and still can save money if that is tight). Since it looks like you are tilting towards TCNJ/NJMS, go for it.

All High School seniors/parents - Congratulations & all the best to you and your families.

Please post your stats/results in the BS MD 2020 Results thread. Since we benefitted from this forum, we need to give back so others can benefit too!

Congratulations! to your C & family. PPSP is a great choice and the best out of all the available options

Good Question. I too would like to know the answer.

The stats/perspectives from the BS MD 2020 results thread might provide some clarification. Sadly, very few people have posted their results.

Not going to Uber competitive high school if it is in your control, writing good essays by spending enough time and then luck, with all other things being more or less equal as others.

NJMS is very flexible with getting in state status for 7 year students when they matriculate to med school. Someone confirmed in 2018 thread I believe.

So with both Cincy and NJMS being in state for med school, location maybe the factor. Some of the folks in the past did not like the inner city location of NJMS and it’s not so fancy appearance. But at the same time, the location can be blessing in terms of obtaining the rich exposure and range of cases one gets to see while in med school. Perhaps that plays a role too in a good number of NJMS graduates landing in coveted residency and fellowship placements. Can’t comment on location aspect of Cincy.

Congratulations to all for all your results !! I was surprised to got in today at RPI/AMC as thought got rejected already as did not receive any email or under considerations email or anything.

I know I have posted about Upenn vs. Brown. So now kind of thinking what to do Upenn vs Brown vs. RPI/AMC program with No MCAT, but I heard the area is not good and not sure about 7 years. As I know one of my parents friend daughter did Union/AMC and did not liked it at all and now she is taking MCAT to go to different med school. So does anyone has idea I know is no stress with these program but lot of research required. And mostly was hoping to attend upenn or brown but there is all this again application process, volunteering ,research you have to keep it up with all this and compete with med school, but there are lot of opportunities and better UG experience with the Ivys.

So any thoughts into this RPI/AMC program.

I thinks essays and interviews are most important part of application besides high stats, high GPA and rank as from my experience as everyone has those and luck.

Take UPenn. You will be fine with traditional path. My son didn’t like RPI location at all and didn’t want to live 7 years there (He ruled out immediately i.e. before other results came).

Here is the thing. If you go to UPenn, probably you will get into a T20 school. But if your goal is do become a doctor RPI/AMC will give you one year advantage and save you a lot of time padding your CV and preparing for MCAT. RPI/AMC is to best of my knowledge a good program. We know of families whose kids were happy with the program (all the siblings went to the program). If you chose traditional, I would recommend UPenn over Brown for pre-med.

Here is the thing. If you go to UPenn/Brown, probably you will get into a T20 school. But if your goal is to become a doctor, RPI/AMC will give you a one year advantage and save you a lot of time padding your CV and preparing for MCAT. RPI/AMC, is to best of my knowledge, a good program. We know of families whose kids were happy with the program (all the siblings went to this program). If you chose traditional route, I would recommend UPenn over Brown for pre-med. Brown is better liberal arts credentials while UPenn is better for science.

[quote=“srk2017, post:5965, topic:2054445”]

Take UPenn. You will be fine with traditional path. My son didn’t like RPI location at all and didn’t want to live 7 years there (He ruled out immediately i.e. before other results came).[/quote

Thank you and never visited RPI/AMC at all as interview was cancelled due to Covid19 and had a phone interview.

Here is the thing. If you go to UPenn/Brown, probably you will get into a T20 school. But if your goal is to become a doctor, RPI/AMC will give you a one year advantage and save you a lot of time padding your CV and preparing for MCAT. RPI/AMC, is to best of my knowledge, a good program. We know of families whose kids were happy with the program (all the siblings went to this program). If you chose traditional route, I would recommend UPenn over Brown for pre-med. Brown is better liberal arts credentials while UPenn is better for science.

[/quote]

As I said before doing required ECs and preparing MCAT is not a very tough thing for kids who were able to get both BSMD and Ivy league admissions.

Something else you may consider between the two, if that is important to you

https://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm?ot=&fy=2019&state=OH&ic=&fm=&orgid=1523902&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=#tab2

https://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm?ot=&fy=2019&state=NJ&ic=&fm=&orgid=10034169&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=#tab2

While Cincinnati as a whole seems to have higher research funding from NIH (as a sample of the total), doesn’t give the breakdown for medical school.

The ~50 million for NJMS all me is quite decent.

Have you gotten any price breaks from RPI? The campus is beautiful and RPI is a rigorous school, but surrounding Troy and Albany may not be all that pleasing to you.

If you have good price break from RPI and you are willing to stay focused with ECs and research (part of the physician scientist program anyways), take MCAT after sophomore year and see. If you get ~520 range, and want to try out, you withdraw from the program, graduate in 3 years, take a gap year and apply every where else. If you start liking the program by sophomore year, you can continue there despite your high MCAT score (it is relatively lesser important part of your application portfolio anyways, so you don’t have to feel bad for the preparation as a wasted effort).

As mentioned, if your plan of getting to UPenn is to target the med school entry there, you have to really stand out amongst the undergrad student body there.

Also reminds me someone from a year or two ago on the results thread with the same dilemma, RPI/AMC vs UPenn and chose the former. You may want to search in the results thread and private message and get feedback on what he/she thinks about that decision now and any further insider information regarding the program.

JAMA ( Journal of American Medical Association ) is a power organization and can influence public policy and AAMC members. So much for 7 yr program, 1 yr advantage gone if implemented next year.