***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

It is not very high on the importance ladder. A GPA 3.5 at Ivy vs GPA 3.5 at a State University may influence the decision to wards IVy but a GPA of 3.5 from Ivy probably will not give any extra importance when compared to a higher GPA from non-Ivy schools. One will not get any extra browny points for attending an Ivy school but not having required stats (GPA and MCAT score)

Yes, some have pointed out that it easy to get in-state tuition for medical school. One should confirm this with TCNJ/NJMS SOM. Out of State tuition for medical school in NJ is very high( almost approximately 1.5 times resident tuition).

Talk to the above mentioned student who is taking MCAT to apply out. Yes, you have to go through whole 9 yards gain probably with an application to 20-30 medical schools. Do you have appetite for that ? A high MCAT score may be easier to get compared to getting a high GPA at Penn / Brown.

Hi everyone! First post here and Iā€™d appreciate any advice or insight! I did not apply for BS/MD route, as I still want to explore a bit and to have an open ended future career.
But I am intending to pursue premed track and currently deciding between UPenn, Duke, and Brown. I do prefer a more laid back culture over a cutthroat competitive environment.
Iā€™m a California resident and also got into UCLA and Berkeley, yet Iā€™m leaning towards private college despite of the cost savings.
Please let me know which school I should choose based on the information above. Thank you!!

Do you have ideas about what you may want to take up as a career if not medicine? (Which you are not even sure about)
If it may be something like law, Brown may be a better option, business, UPenn and anything else Duke.
Brown is the most student friendly of the three.

May be except for Brown, all the schools in your list are uber competitive including two UCs. What do you want to do as a career ? What major or college did you get into the above schools ? Did you get in Wharton (Business School ) at UPenn ? With so little detail, difficult to suggest anything. Tentatively, Brown may be best for you as a laid back culture school.

Money is not a problem at all. And by going to Upenn I am not targeting the Upenn Med school at all which will be tough to get into. I am just worried about MCAT score and would I be able to handle premed at Upenn with all other ECā€™s and research and would I stand out with others as there must be lot of students with premed there But Upenn have so much opportunities and not sure how hard is to be minor at wharton thatā€™s my big thing also to get that exposure. But will I be able to make into other med schools. And is like if I do not like RPI as you mention withdraw from RPI than wouldnā€™t it be better chance from Upenn thatā€™s what is worried me as If I do not like the area and I would plan to take MCAT than I rather be at Upenn and have better chance to get into med school from Upenn vs RPI UG as I know what you saying If I do not do good at MCAT than I still have the option to go to AMC. I will definitely search the RPI/AMC vs Upenn thread. I got into Georgetown also and was thinking about their early assurance program not sure if is worth it.

Thank you and is hard to decide between Upenn vs. Brown but I see majority is favoring Upenn for premed.

@ubsmd2020
Are you from NJ and closer to UPenn ? You can explore a minor in Business/Finance at UPenn. As far as MCAT is concerned, one can get easily a score >= 95% with adequate preparation as several posterā€™s S/D have taken MCAT recently and have done very well (including my D as a Temple Health Scholar Program/Temple LKSOM). Focus on getting a GPA >= 3.8 at UPenn.

@ rk2017
Thank you! Iā€™d consider business if Iā€™m not going for medicine.

Did you visit any of these schools or their information sessions when they travelled to your state? These are very different schools. Which one did you like the best?

Per us news ranking, UPenn is 6th and Duke is 10th and Brown is 14th. Does this ranking make any difference to you.

I know a family friendā€™s daughter who is attending Duke premed and loves it. My colleague is a computer science, math major from Duke and loved her experience there, since she talks about it all the time :slight_smile:

Brown is liberal artsie with lot of freedom - so do you think you could be successful there?

I donā€™t know anyone from UPenn.

1. My intended major is cognitive science (UPenn and the 2 UCs), neuroscience (Brown), and psychology (Duke) depending on the school.
  2. I got into Pennā€™s CAS, not Wharton school (I heard anything other than Wharton at Penn is considered 2nd class)
  3. If I decide not to pursue medicine after exploring for a year or 2, business / consulting would be another career Iā€™d consider.
  1. The only school I did not have chance to visit is Duke, which Iā€™d love to visit in a heart beat if I couldā€¦ that being said, Brownā€™s campus seemed a bit too small for me and I was not sure if I love Philly that much (after driving down from NYC)

2. Prestige is kinda important, but I care more about which school can best prepared me for medical school or possibly a MD/PhD program (e.g. research funding/ opportunities, med school acceptance, GPA, and MCAT, etc.)

It seems your interest lies in Cognitive Science/Neuroscience/Psychology as UG major. Do not know if you can switch colleges at UPenn (CAS to Wharton) easily. You may be able to take a minor in Business/Finance at UPenn. You have to still take weed out premed classes for medical school. You need to have a GPA >= 3.8 for having a decent chance for medical school.
If you are keen on Neuroscience (including cognitive science)/Psychology, you can do that at UCs. If you want to go to consulting, UPenn is a better choice. Neuroscience is also a major from biology (also know as cellular and molecular biology or Neurobiology major) department. Duke will be a competitive environment. Brown may suite you well.

If you want to do MD/PhD, select a school where you will have a great GPA. All these schools are very competitive and getting a GPA >= 3.8 is tough. All these schools can prepare you for taking MCAT and all these schools have great research and medical ECs opportunities. You may not like Philly but UPenn meets all your requirements related to MD/PhD admissions. It will be very competitive at UPenn to get a GPA >= 3.8.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/2143599/official-thread-for-2020-bsmd-applicants/p299#Form_Body
What JAMA policy would affect 7-year program?

D has a Neuroscience(Cellular and Molecular Biology)major and has taken cognitive neuroscience courses from psychology department as elective. D works as an RA in a neuroscience lab.

@grtd2010 ā€œ JAMA ( Journal of American Medical Association ) is a power organization and can influence public policy and AAMC members. So much for 7 yr program, 1 yr advantage gone if implemented next year.ā€. What JAMA policy would affect 7-year programs?

It is just a proposal now for Fall 2020 entering medical students.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2764427? potentially affecting upcoming med school matriculants.

@ubsmd2020

If you are considering Georgetown for EAP, then as well go to RPI/AMC.

But there is nothing wrong if you donā€™t like location of RPI & AMC and want to try via UPenn. Life everything is relative. If you have lived in Detroit downtown or South Chicago or East Palo Alto, it is easy to adjust to Albany & Troy. But if you are from Martha Vineyard or Hollywood, it is not going to be the same. But if you are open to adapt for short time (7 years in life it is only around 7-8% of time) then RPI/AMC.

I was also not thrilled when I visited Albany and Troy but will adapt if there is a need.
I know a friendā€™s D from rich Menlo Park went to RPI/AMC. She liked both UG and MD programs but hated both location. Donā€™t know where she is doing her residency now.

Since you have a good UG and not feeling great about RPI/AMC location, just go with what your gut feelings says. You can still get in to regular MD cycle if you are determined.