***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

You are instate as long as your parents live in MD and you are a dependent. However I heard some medical schools (TX ones and UCD in CA) give preference to those who went to UG instate. No one knows for sure since that won’t be a declared policy and comes under holistic approach.

TX medical school applications:

TX state law requires >=90% of students that matriculate meet the in-state residency requirements.

It is NOT a matter of individual medical school preference - it is state law.

Here is the link to the statute:
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ED/htm/ED.51.htm

Also, To applying to TX medical schools, you have to apply via TMDSAS (not AMCAS).

TMDSAS determines your residency status for application purposes:

https://www.tmdsas.com/Pre-Submission/Residency.html

Please note many states have LEGAL requirements to select in-state candidates for medical school admissions for traditional route.

Texas gives preference to those who go to UG in state not because they go to UG in state but because they are already Texas residents and are going to UG as in state residents.

Medical school admissions:

Most medical schools take ~150 freshmen students (it is 64 at the lower end and 270 at the higher end).

Most medical schools take students from ~ 70 undergrad colleges.

Assuming 20% intake from their own undergrad, it means they take an average of 1-2 kids from other undergrad colleges.

This aligns with what @rk2017 has indicated.

I am aware of the Texas law. The question asked is about state residents doing UG instate vs out of state. Again I heard some schools prefer those who did UG instate as part of their holistic process, but you may not find written proof for it. In CA, UC Davis asks the following question on “Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California?” and UCR targets students from inland empire.

Anyone received communication from Baylor College of Medicine today regarding the Baylor2 program?

Texas medical schools take a lot of students who go to UG in the state of Texas not because they are attending schools in the state but because they are Texas residents who choose to stay instate for UG. And the law posted above.

Does not your parents living in Northern or Central California good enough for UC Davis ? UCR is a different story altogether.

Do Texas medical schools prefer OOS students doing UG in Texas schools for 10% seats ?

Where can one find the list of 70 undergrad colleges/universities considered by most medical schools ? AAMC publishes the list of colleges/universities with most applicants to medical schools( > 50).

No yet. They told us to expect a decision on May 15. Have you heard of anyone else receiving a decision?

Yes, my point is within the state some schools have regional preferences. Same may go with TX schools.

Again that’s NOT the question OP asked :smile: It’s instate UG vs out of state UG for instate students.

Has anyone committed to RPI/AMC BS MD program?

I thought I had heard April 13. Definitely not May 15 because that’s past May 1 date for National Decision Day. They went on explaining the waitlisting process that if you don’t commit to Baylor by May 1, your name falls off the WL on May 2.

My kid just looked at the Baylor2 website and it says April 15.

Sorry being home has my dates all messed up. I meant April 15. Don’t understand the long delay. They interviewed less than 20 people. Oklahoma was done in like 5 days.

@grtd2010 @srk2017 @NoviceDad

Thank you all for the input!
I’m going to assume that even if I attend UG in a different state, I will still be considered in-state for med school, but maybe less preferred than those who remained in-state for UG.

Fot Texas schools most seats are filled by the large in state schools. Medical schools like do have diverse classes, just like UG schools, so they will look to add 1-2 or more seats from multiple different schools. Different backgrounds, different majors, different ages, different experiences, different stories. In Texas for example, is it better to be one of hundreds of kids from UT Austin applying or the lone applicant from, say, Davidson? Baylor for example could fill their seats with UT Austin applicants who might be better than the Davidson applicant, but that does nothing to expand diversity. I think it’s better to go to an OOS undergrad institution (as long as it’s not grade deflated). Now with Coronavirus, OOS will be more expensive as there will be less money the state legislatures will be giving to their flagships. This means less money for merit scholarships.

If you go OOS for UG, I think that is better than staying instate. You will still be considered instate for med school.