***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

OOS UG > Instate UG > BS/MD

How about going to SMU or Baylor for UG?

At least our group has half a month to decide. The Rice Baylor

Staying home makes time go so slowly. I recalled BCM sying the week of 4/13 and thought 4/13 is decision notification. I didnā€™t think to check the B2b website. I think the Rice Medical Scholar group was a week after us. Whoever got selected from the group only has less than 2 weeks before May 1 to decide.

Yes. Look at Baylor College of Medicineā€™s Commencement programs, you can find them online. You can see the number of students coming from different schools, remember a lot of the schools (Rice, Baylor, U of Houston) already have a designated number of seats. Every year about 30 from Rice (6 from Rice/Baylor, so only 24 regular UG). Usually maybe 5 to 6 from, say, BYU. Rice is so competitive, hard to get Aā€™s in some classes. Students studying constantly, poor quality of life. Iā€™d say take the BYU route. Or another UG where you will have less stress. Do things to have a good story.

@grtd2010

AAMC - MSAR has a lot of applicant data.
You can actually create a matrix of undergrad to medical school.

@TexasTiger2

Texas medical schools take <=10% from OOS.

There are 16 medical schools in TX.
In 2019, there were 6053 applicants - 4577 TX residents.

Out of these, 1501 TX matriculated into TX medical schools - i.e. 33% success rate.

OOS applicants in TX schools were - 1476 and only 121 made it to TX medical schools i.e. 8% success rate.

Here is the official TMDSAS data:
https://www.tmdsas.com/Forms/10-Year-Med-EY19.pdf

I do NOT know how you got OOS UG > InState UG ? What data did you use?

That is my suggestion. It is best to go to OOS for UG, it is better than instate UG. Worst is BS/MD route.

Iā€™m saying it, for example, if you live in Texas, go OOS for UG. Apply to Texas medical schools as an OOS applicant. You will be more unique, bring diversity to the class. BS/MD is the worst route of the three. They do not perform as well during residency applications. Physicians do not recommend this route for their children unless they trained overseas and are risk-adverse. BS/MD is probably best for low stat ORM since getting into med school will be harder for them. High stat kids are going to get in. People who do not get into medical school well, there are often red flags in their application, essays or interviews.

@NoviceDad Thanks for the info.

In fact, most successful ORM bs/md applicants have very high stats with excellent medical ECs and prefer this route as a risk-averse option (bird-in-hand). If you are a low stats ORMs, the probability is low due to intense competition among ORMs. Some low stats ORMs applicants are successful in getting admission to bs/md programs.

@TexasTiger2

There are no studies or data shared by AAMC or AMA that I am aware of that indicate BS/MD fare worse in residencies.

Please share data or studies that indicate what you are suggesting.

Otherwise it is an unsubstantiated speculation.

My query was not for a Texas resident but a non-resident (OOS) applicant. Would it be better for a non-resident to attend a Texas UG school ? Will it increase his/her chances in TMDSAS under a maximum 10% non-resident quota ?

@TexasTiger2

Many physicians that I know have sent their kids (who were interested in medicine) have sent their kids to BS/MD programs, in many cases letting go of Top 10 undergrad schools like Yale, Columbia, UPenn and Stanford.

It all boils down to personal situation and preference.

Iā€™m curious as to why you say BS/MD students donā€™t perform well in residencies?

Also arenā€™t there plenty of well qualified people who donā€™t get into medical school on their first try as the number of applicants simply outweighs the number of seats? Which leads to the ~41% overall acceptance rate into medical schoolā€¦

What makes BS/MD the worst route?

Just out of personal curiosity, have the BS/MD programs that they picked over Top 10 been top tier programs (ie HPME, PLME) or have they also picked lower tiers BS/MD programs over Top 10?
If possible, could you give a few examples of the BS/MD programs that were chosen the Top 10?

Addressing only last part, one can sell short oneself, especially low tier/rank/whatever binding programs.

@PPofEngrDr

By that logic, doctors (Not jus BS MD) from all ā€œlowā€ tier medical schools must be doing bad in residencies?

Something is not adding up.

@applestudent23

HPME, PLME, Penn/ Jeff, Case, UPitt, to name a few.

If you are a residency PD, say a competitive one, you have over a thousand applicants for less than 5 spots. Who will be the better applicant? Thatā€™s where they perform worse. I believe someone posted an interview of a previous physician who went the BS/MD route, revisited his school, somewhere in the NE? I think Michigan was mentioned in the video? I donā€™t recall, maybe someone on here does. He mentioned the drawbacks. A BS/MD applicant does not perform as well. Itā€™s not something that can be taught, prepped for. Itā€™s something gained by life experience, maturity, story, etc.

@NoviceDad Didnā€™t allude anything w.r.t. residencies, not sure how you come up with that narrative. High caliber students are selling short themselves to ā€œlow tierā€ BS/MD programs and hinders own growth. It is not that all BS/MD programs are bad and all UG routes are best or vice a versa.
In other words, high school throughput canā€™t be a plateau for high caliber students.