***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Please see @dblazer 's amazing post on residencies and do school reputation matters. For example, I have looked up 5 years worth of residency matches for Stony Brook, and they have 100% match and to several top programs. My learning from this research is not every T20 med school has a top residency for every specialty. There may be midtier schools that offer a higher experience based on diversity of patient population.

Grit, optimism, passion, and perseverance got us to these acceptances. These are characteristic traits in our DNA - which will carry us farther as well. We all are striving to reshape the healthcare of our country. Not every patient gets treated at Brighams or MSKCC, or HSS. There are several that get treated at the community level and those doctors equally contribute to our society. That is what matters. Truly.

NJUMS by its urban location can be a good ground to have experience with a wide variety of patients and it is reflected in their residency match. Community hospitals and medical professionals practicing at these hospitals are backbone of the healthcare in USA.

Agree 100%. In my research, I have found that our entire health care system depends on recruiting and retaining creative, high-quality physicians to academia - and this reflects in the choice to be in <T20 schools.

Academic physicians lead the way to medical advancements through research in laboratories, at the bedside, and in the community. They are responsible for educating not only medical students and physicians in training, but also practicing physicians through lectures, journals publications, and conferences that disseminate cutting edge medical knowledge broadly. In addition, physicians at academic medical centers are also often the last vestiges of hope for people with inexplicable or complicated medical problems.

However, most of America relies on its community physicians. There is an enormous need for community-based practicing clinicians. By 2025, the United States will face a shortage of 94,700 physicians. Most chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, OB GYN, autoimmune diseases, even oncological conditions are managed by community based physicians.

As I said before I have nothing against kids (and parents) that chose or choosing BS/MD path and consistently said choose whatever suits you. My issue again is scare tactics used, quoting some doctors and blind advocacy for BSMD. one of the most quoted number is 13% of high stats kids get no acceptance with traditional path but no detailed study on that. If you go by that logic 5.2 vs 3.1 is 67% difference.

I agree with your definition of success but it appears for lot of parents success is defined as becoming a doctor within 7-8 yrs after HS.

@brainbuilder02
Very commendable how you stated why you got into medicine. If that’s the route you take to get you to the intersection of the Venn doesn’t matter, then take the cheapest route. Your love of medicine will help you make your SBU journey as good as a Pitt journey. Take the GAP interview in the fall to give you more options. If you got an offer from Pitt GAP, then you have time to think about whether to transfer.

Thank you @junebug20

I know physician parents who have send kids to UMKC and other lower ranked programs compared to HPME, PittGap etc (not sure if they turned down T10 colleges in favor of BS/MD).

Physician parents may be risk-averse like other parents. They may have an established medical practice which they can pass on to their offspring so the ranking of medical schools is not important. All one needs a licensed MD to run the practice not a brand name university or medical school behind MD/UG. UMKC 6 yr bsmd is a good option for them if S/D can survive the program and come out as a licensed MD.

Well said! I commend you for speaking up and for representing your peers who are starting their BS/MD path. I admire your courage for standing up and for providing inspiration to all the current/future students aspiring to become a Doctor.

Hearing negative comments about BS MDs can be demotivating, hurtful and damaging to the high school students about to start their BS/MD journey.

In my opinion, the most important characteristic of a Doctor is his/her compassion, empathy and love for the fellow human being. Without this, being a doctor is meaningless.

Once you start your journey whatever it may be a UG or bsmd pogram please keep posting progress in the experience thread whenever you have time.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1989563-bsmd-applicants-college-experience-report.html

Who made negative comments about BSMD programs (other than the new participant) ? I always said weigh the positives and negatives and select what suits you and alo gave examples of both scenarios.

Also, I don’t think any of the kids who participated commented negatively about either path. It’s the parents and consultants who dominate this thread and come up with -ve stuff to justify their own choices.

Again every parent/child makes the decision based on their circumstances. My point was quoting some doctor parents won’t add any value to the discussions.

Ultimately every students situation is unique and one can not generalize which path would be perfect for them.
Some don’t want to take the risks and prefer a guaranteed Medicine seat so as to be able to focus on research etc and some don’t mind the risks and want the UG experience. Top schools may not have the residency of your choice , also how many doctors from top institutions still work at community level and how many docs from low tier medical school are in top positions .
With BS/ MD one can always have a GAP yr at the institute of your top choice residency ( at least you already have a medical degree before your gap yr) unlike a gap yr to enhance your resume to get you into a medical school.
There is no right or wrong way.
Determine your commitment to the medical profession/ cost factor/ distance from home etc before deciding .

That’s what I have been preaching for last 3 years doc :smile: I know couple of BSMD students who took gap years once in medical school and I know lot of traditional student who didn’t take any gap years and ended at T20 schools, so different strokes for different people.

@srk2017 -

I was responding to the post from @Brainbuilder02 and his/her point about morale/motivation. A few high schoolers in this forum messaged me privately about morale issues due to the discussions on BS/MD that the new guy started. I was worried about how sensitive teenagers are, especially girls. This was at the back of my mind while responding.

I truly didn’t look at the communication chain to check if you were part of this discussion. Please be assured that my message was not targeted at you.

I know it’s not targeted at me but I also in general don’t like blank accusations i.e. without naming names. Over last few years lot of kids reached out to me (including @Brainbuilder02 ) in private to discuss traditional path vs BSMD and I gave recommendations based on what they shared with me since I have no bias toward either path and I have nothing to gain.

This will be my last cycle to participate in BSMD threads but I will be posting in the experiences thread I created.

Remember it is a calling, esp now with the pandemic going on you can assess if you really like medicine. Imagine yourself frontline with COVID pts and you will know if you really want medicine.

We did not sign up for this but I can see my colleagues and myself would never be able to sit at home and not work frontline with all the pts .
Whichever pathway you choose ,make sure your hearts in it.

Thank you to doctors, and other medical personnel who are on the front line against COVID-19 war.

Kudos! and my heartfelt appreciation.

Teenage years are challenging and your support and recommendations will be appreciated and remembered fondly by them for years to come :slight_smile:

Thanks and good luck to all making decisions .
My child inspite of the pandemic continues to love medicine and wants to serve the community and will be pursuing combined BSMD pathway.