***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Vicky2019

Yeah remember having read about it a while ago, don’t remember the specifics, but remember most won’t qualify either because of socio economic and/or Instate only or other preconditions.

Sounds too good to be true for everyone, right?

@ramen2020 - Your theory is easier to prove via Early decision. After all we have your example to prove this.

However not easy to prove if you are applying via regular decision. Two obvious reasons that come to mind regarding why people usually apply via regular decision and not Early decision are -

1. Applying to ED and/or ED2 at other college. Applying to Brown via RD. This is not applicable for students applying for BS/MDs
  2. Applying to several BS/MD programs since do not want to attend Brown UG (without BSMD) if selected in the ED round

Yes, you are right - this is indeed too good to be true for most candidates.

Another reason some people might want to avoid this college is the location of both UG and med school, Detroit, MI where crime rate is considered high by many people…

Wayne_Med is there for a while. 5 years back or so there was a gap or the restructured the program.

Since Detroit and Michigan has good amount of socio-economic disadvantage students, out of 10 students almost 8 or 9 will be from MI. So 1 to 2 are OOS students.

If not from MI & not with real socio-economic disadvantage chances are extremely slim. It is a good WSU offers good aid for the selected students.

Actually Detroit down town has improved significantly after the 2008 financial crisis and it looks much better compared to olden times.

Of course any where students need to be careful, especially in the night.

Has anyone gotten any update or interview invitation from Howard University’s 6 year bs md program?

@Premedinhs

Similar to Wayne State program above, Howard is a historic black college, so chances may be very slim if not from URM background (also seems Sophie Davis is somewhat similar in their approach).
Read or heard somewhere that was the reason Kamala Harris chose to attend Howard for undergrad.

Just add another option for HYPS - EA (non binding) as follows.

1. Applying to EA, ED and/or ED2 at other college. Applying to Brown via RD. This is not applicable for students applying for BS/MDs.
  2. Applying to several BS/MD programs since do not want to attend Brown UG (without BSMD) if selected in the ED round

@grtd2010 - yes, you are right, i forgot to mention Restricted Early Action for HYPS.

I just checked the stats and from the stats (toptieradmissions website), it does look like Brown does give a lot of preference for Early students since they admitted 47% this year from early rounds. However, they still select remaining 53% from regular round.

Adding some clarifiation with some stats-

For Brown class of 2024:

Early Acceptance Rate - 17.5%
% of Class Filled by Early Admissions - 47.05
Regular Decision Admissions Acceptance Rate - 5.38%

@futuremedico - Congratulations on your acceptance at the Brooklyn college/SUNY downstate program. Thanks for posting your stats in the BS MD 2020 results. Your US Presidential service awards and 800+ hours of volunteering experience is pretty cool :slight_smile:

Hi,
Your daughter or son got in

There is a little bit of incorrect information in what you said. We visited Wayne and they were clearly welcoming non-socio-economic background kids too. I would suggest not repeating the information from the website if you did not tour or talk to the admissions counselors. This is a great program that looks at a kid’s overall credentials.

I have seen a few of the members mentioning that BS/MD admissions is a crapshoot. That is not true. Every program looks at things differently. A lot of common mistakes made by people is:

-Developing credentials for a particular program (BS / MD) instead of truly being passionate about it
-Trying to show academic kids as well-rounded (Just because your kid aces all math and science tests, doesn’t mean that he or she is a good fit for BS / MD)
-A lack of research which undermines the intellectual abilities of the kids
-A lack of sports at a competitive level, which proves that the kid is not well-rounded (Again the kid has to be interested and motivated to excel in the sport, joining track just to have it on ur resume is not valuable for the kid)

With my son, I can clearly see what works. My magic formula is:

-Get good grades and test scores as the first step (my son had way lower than average GPA at a very competitive public school and was nowhere near the top 10% at his school, he still got into a very prestigious bs/md program because he had great extracurriculars and was passionate about medicine which he showed in his interviews)
-Ensure that your kid is truly well-rounded, has a musical ability, has a sport, has research and compassionate volunteer work (If you push the kids to volunteer when they don’t enjoy it, admission counselors can figure this out)
-Have a compelling story in your essay (Truthful, why do you really want to be a doctor, making up things here will also be negative to you)
-Be passionate (not arrogant) in the interview with examples
-be unique, have something in your application that no other BS/MD student has (my son has a patent for an idea he has been developing for years, a healthcare device that helps people with the condition he has, it has a personal story and all his research has been surrounding this device)

Most importantly, passions can be nurtured, but if the kids are not into it then BS /MD programs are not right for them.

I tried to discourage my son from going to the medical path. I forced him to go through very tough volunteer work to test if he really wants to be a doctor and help people and he came out with flying colors.

I totally believe that is is a method to this madness and it is not a crapshoot at all.

Good luck!

Your S is a unique one with a healthcare device patent that helps others in a particular health condition. Hopefully, some one will make this device.

@futuremedico -

Good to have your insight on Wayne state med direct program. Although you shared your experience saying that it is a great program. Yet, your son didn’t apply to the program. Why?

Are you suggesting that future applications should not depend on information provided in BSMD institution’s website because it may be inaccurate? This doesn’t seem right to me.

If your message to future applicants is to talk to the admission counsellors or to tour the college before applying instead of just depending on the website - this is more reasonable.

However, not everyone is lucky to have funds to visit 18+ colleges (BSMD, UGs) most average BSMD applicant end up applying to… such students would depend on the website for details.

@Vicky2019,

Detroit is too far for us and my son doesn’t want to commit to an ED, that is the only reason we did not apply.

I would suggest you quote in the forums that your insights are from the reading website. That way we don’t need to mislead other applicants who are interested in the program.

Future applicants should always contact admission counselors before eliminating their school choices.

We can always reach out to counselors via email or phone. No need to visit every college as you rightly said.

@futuremedico

Don’t think any one is “misleading” or “fear mongering” anyone here. We are all sharing information that is either available via websites, college visits, collected from acquaintances who are familiar with the programs, ground realities and such.

FYI, your son did not have as spectacular results as you may be thinking or imagining. I would say that despite his unique background he has been still very lucky to get into the lone program. There have been students on this forum who had patents, publications and semi finalists of reputed science competitions at national level to their credit but still weren’t that fortunate.

@futuremedico - I did add a website URL with my comment and quoted what is written in the website - I am confused as to how it is even possible to mislead people by quoting things directly from Wayne State website and adding a url. Interested members could easily find details in the link provided by you.

Infact, I am very confused with your insistence and repeated messages.

I must admit that I was quite surprised by your post, soon after my post congratulating your son. A simple thank you in response to my congratulations would have been the proper etiquette from you.

However, I will take your advice positively and attempt to be more clear with my language going forward.

Since you are insisting that I change my behavior - I am taking liberty in asking you to also change and hopefully show proper etiquette & thank others in the future for their positive behavior towards you.

Wish your S the very best!!!

@vicky2019,
Thank you for your wishes and the same for your son, great success. These kids go through so much to get here, I think we all wish the same for everyone.

Many of these colleges don’t update the details on their website and my discussion with the directors of the programs told me sometimes different criteria. That is the only thing I am referring to.

We all are here to help, elimination of a college should be made based on a discussion, not based on website data.

@rk2017,

You have been trying to help a lot of people here advising. The same way I am here to help without judging people. The misnomer of ‘qualifications’ means certain things is what I am trying to clarify.

No one is lucky to get into BS / MD programs, if someone says that, I can only think of two words, ‘lack of understanding’.

Qualifications no longer mean only good grades, demonstrating passion in a particular field. That is what I was trying to clarify and help other students.

I have so much respect for you and everyone here. Every kid is highly qualified and BS/MD programs know how to judge the kids for ‘real’ qualifications, :wink:

Pardon my lack of understanding, but if you can explain why the passion of your S has led to only one or two BS/MD selections and turned down everywhere else? What if he, or anyone for that matter, didn’t get that selection, would it mean he/she had not enough passion?
How many other students from his school applied to BS/MD programs?