***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Bunny75
Is it UCF BMS or UF finally ?

Folks

Today is April 30. Hopefully folks have made your decision.
Please share your stats+perspectives on the Results Thread. As you have benefited from such information, this will help future students.

Here is the link:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020-p1.html

Hi, everyone here has been so helpful with their advise and insights. Thanks a lot from the bottom of our hearts. We truly appreciate all you do. Congratulations to the kids and their families for getting acceptances to the BS/MD programs. For kids who were not happy with the result out come, you are already successful by just going through this application process. Without knowing it, this has made you stronger and better candidate and person. Good luck to you in your future endeavor and I am sure you all will be very successful.

We have are still deciding between St. Bonaventure / GW and UCF BMS program in FL. We are from NJ. And we were all set to go to UCF FL with full ride to the undergraduate program (with high GPA, MCAT 514, 100 hrs of shadowing and volunteering, Thesis and an interview which is just a formality) And then the SBU / GW option came along and now we are torn. The requirements are pretty low (3.6, 510, nothing else, also $25 k undergrad scholarship) and it is GW Medical school. We were looking at the no. of regular applications GW gets 14,000. I believe it is one of the most selective medical schools. Your valuable advise will be highly appreciated. TIA

@RoseGold1

Both are good options to have, congratulations!

Some of the deciding factors you may want to factor in. UCF is non binding, so if after couple of years, your C takes MCAT and scores great, can decide to graduate from the program in 3 years and apply out. Not sure if you have that flexibility at SBU. Your C may have to spend all 4 years on undergrad. Also some people in the past have expressed concerns over the religious affiliation of SBU. Also being a private med school GWU is going to be expensive in the med school portion whereas your C may qualify for in state at UCF. Do you have enough time to ask SBU about the option of matriculating early to med school? Can you ask for an extension for the commitment date to talk it over with the program folks?

Yes, I agree, GWU med school is one of the more reputed ones and itā€™s proximity to you may tip the scale in itā€™s favor despite any such drawbacks as above.

@RoseGold1

Validate and confirm if possible to get IS fees for UCF (even if not for UG, but for MD).
If so, that will save $150k. GW applications is high not because of the school, but because of the location. Since GW and Georgetown are in DC, every one thinks, they will give admission for more OOS and hence everyone applies there. These 2 schools get around 15000 applications per year. Even for UG, UCF OOS fees is much lower than SBU fees.

Agree, whenever there is an option to apply out that helps to decide after having MCAT score.

@Rosegold1,
Think carefully about the SB/GW because even though the location is good with GW, I canā€™t say the same with SB. It is in the middle of no where with two hours drive to the closest decent airport in Buffafo, NY, and the best restaurant in town is AppleBeeā€™s. On campus, SB is great. Dorm is right there 200 ft from the classrooms, but anywhere outside the school, I would not advise any student wander outside when it is dark.
Ask your D if she can see herself at SB for 4 years. My S told me, not No, but ā€œHe** Noā€ that he would spend 4 years of his young adult life there. In addition, they give $25K scholarship to all BS MD caliber students, tuition is still expensive, and their housing is expensive for real estate in SB.
Also, I agree with the above post, GW is expensive, but it doesnā€™t mean they are good. It is highly selective because so many apply there.
If your daughter is an exceptional student, and I am sure she is, go with UCF. Because SB only accept 5 students this year, and she was selected which means she is very good.
She will do fine UCF and save a lot of money.

IMO, take the less risky option SBU/GW ( GPA 3.6, MCAT 510 (very reasonable)) vs UCF BMS (GPA3.8, MCAT 514 ( a higher level of difficulty)). It is not easy for the student to go through another application cycle after 3 years. GW medical school is closer to home (NJ) for family support system.

@RoseGold1 SBU is not a good undergrad. After touring, there was no way I could see myself there for 4 years. Research is lacking, the classrooms are very outdated and the school has a strong religious affiliation with the Franciscan Brothers. Not to mention, thereā€™s nothing to do outside of the campus either.

GW med school is in fact a good one. Not withstanding what some rankings website may or may not say or how many people among those accepted traditional route actually may or may not enroll (there could be many reasons for that, including the cost factor).

Reminded of this student from few years ago whom we met during interviews or open houses. She/he was selected in as many as at least 4 accelerated BS/BA/MD programs and could be even as high as 6 (have been told, chose not to apply for any 8 year ones). Eventually chose to go to GW opting it over even more reputed programs selected in. Of course proximity was perhaps the main driver in her/his case, but donā€™t think would have made that choice if wasnā€™t convinced about the quality of the med school there (especially so leaving even the more well known programs with similar cost structure in this space).

Thanks all your responses. I did not get your opinion Novice Dad. If you can please DM me, I would really appreciate it. I canā€™t since I am a new member. Thanks

@RoseGold1

Sent you a DM.

Folks

Today is May 3. Hopefully folks have made your decision.
Please share your stats+perspectives on the Results Thread. As you have benefited from such information, this will help future students.

Here is the link:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020-p1.html

Iā€™m in the Tulane 3+4 BS/MD if anyone has questions!!

Hello everyone, I have the same question similar to @RoseGold1 .

My son got into FAU BS/MD program in FL (with full ride to undergrad, 3.7 GPA, 510 MCAT & non biding program, research at Max Plank & Scripps Research Institutes ). He is in next in line to St. Bonaventure / GW from the waitlist. If at all he is picked from waitlist we were told that we will not be having more than 24 hrs to take the decision.

We are from northern VA & if at all he is offered an admission to
St. Bonaventure / GW is it a good option?

I have concern regarding the location of SBU & especially for boys would they able to survive. Please advise.

@ghytu12 - To me, your current option, FAU BS/MD program in FL (with full ride to undergrad, 3.7 GPA, 510 MCAT & non biding program, research at Max Plank & Scripps Research Institutes looks good. Why not stay there?

Advantages:
-Full ride for UG
-matriculation to MD requirement pretty similar compared to SBU/GW
-non-binding option a plus
-research at Scripps a big plus
-A few people in this forum have previously mentioned that SBU is not a good UG. GW med school is pretty good though. For a kid at 17/18, UG is important and immediate!
-last/least -Not losing your deposit (not a big deal) that you paid on May 1 for FAU

After the above, to me the FAU option is looking rather good!

@ghytu12

What factors attracts your son to SBU/GW?

@texaspg @skieurope

It may be time to start the BS MD 2021 applicant thread now.

Many schools are closing early this semester and many parents are anxious about summer, cancellation of SATs/ACTs and other issues related to application process the coming cycle.

It may be best to start the new thread and have all their questions and discussions in one thread.

Is FAU a guaranteed program ? SBU/GW is a guaranteed program but it may not make any difference to some. What is the issue with SBU for boys vs girls ? A few posters have commented that there is not much to do around the campus. Both FAU and SBU/GW have reasonable GPA and MCAT score requirements to matriculate to medical school. Take which ever your S likes.

@Vicky2019

Very nice way of analyzing by points, all those years of volunteering to guide youngsters shows up in your posts :slight_smile:

@ghytu12

When and if SBU calls, do you have the answer ready for the question, does one have to spend 4 years at SBU or can it be shortened? How important is proximity to home for your son or your family? What will be the total price difference between the programs, and is that reasonable for your situation? You may want to work on these and any such questions first, which may help fast decision making. GL.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. My son opted FAU.