***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@gogetter1234

Congrats and thanks for your first post in CC which is the results post.

How do you know for sure, that you will not get in to R/B. What happens if some one for whatever reason decided to for other option even with aid for R/B? Did R or B inform you?

Surprised that you applied to CNU. Any specific reason?

We went to Rice campus tour since we had a need to attend UofH BS/MD (no longer offered for OOS). My C got Rice with no aid and no BS/MD interview. My D liked Rice. Later her best friend did her UG and just graduated last month and she was also very happy about Rice. R/B is a top choice.

@gogetter1234 - very nice write up. Wish you all the best for RPI/AMC.

I totally agree that Rice/Baylor is unique in that Rice is a great option for UG and the traditional route.

If you do no mind, can you share how you prepared for the USABO?

@ramen2020 curious to know what is ā€œHIF first author publicationā€. Is HIF a science journal?

@ata2020

HIF author is a generic term referring to High Impact/Index First author. Usually research publications have a citation index gauging the popularity of the publication by number of others citing it in their own research work. First refers to the placement of the author among the co authors of the publication. Generally the one making significant contribution is expected to be listed first, but not necessarily all the times, some authors go with alphabetical order of their last names too. Also some professors or senior scientists are generous towards their mentees that they always place themselves last in the order of authors.

Thought @ramen2020 may not be active anymore so filling in. He/she may provide further details if not.

@rk2017, thanks!

@gogetter1234
Congratulations on RPI/AMC and thanks for sharing your stats+perspectives.

RICE is a fantastic university (and BTW they have better dorms than many colleges) and your comments mirrors what my counselees have experienced and told me.
All the very best for your waitlist.

@snsh17

What you described may fall into the category of a proceeding and not publication.
Publication is when some journal publishes after review by an editorial committee, and so has higher recognition. Also the more citations the publication receives, the higher the perceived value.

Also the more reputed the journal, the higher the prestige, such as for example IEEE for engineering, JAMA for medicine and Nature for science. Of course, no one expects high school students to be having such publications, no matter how reputed the mentors may have been.

The word medical students use is ā€œPoster Presentationā€ and many students place those achievements under ā€œpublicationsā€ category of ERAS form (while applying for residency).

Yes, the same question may cross the minds of admissions committees of these programs too and can actually work against in some cases. For example, till recently for most of the high school students who got into NIH sponsored research programs, it was through contacts or geographical advantage, i.e. they or parents knew someone working on those projects. So it was never a level playing field. So a student engaged in one or two such projects since freshman year can possibly have a publication with his/her name on it along with the principal investigatorā€™s by the time of applications, even though their contribution may have been minimal. I heard NIH recently changed the policies, but not sure how effectively.

Perhaps that is the reason programs like BU SMED have lately, past couple of years, deemphasized the weightage of research publications in their selection criteria.

MERCER-GAP is only for Georgia Residents. True BS/MD with very low requirements during undergrad. If I recall correctly, MCAT is ~70 percentile and GPA of 3.5

Univ of South Alabama - EAP is for Alabama, Florida and Mississippi residents.
A little higher bar than Mercer for undergrad requirements.

Both are true BS/MD.

Also UAB is a very good program but seems to have in state followed by regional preference. Likewise for Cincinnati and Connecticut.

Some of the Instate only programs, U of Illinois Chicago and U of Colorado Denver. Both good programs if you are lucky enough to be in state.

I have been accepted into UABā€™s EMSAP program and I am planning on attending next fall. Please dm me with any questions!

If the proceedings of the conference session is published, it is counted as a publication.

@snsh17
Most research findings are first presented to public in conferences and are included in the proceeding of the conference. Later on some of these papers/presentations are submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed journals. Peer-review is the process by which a research paper is judged if it is worth publishing by other eminent folks in the field. The editor of a journal is not the one who decides to publish or not publish a research paper for most of the time.

Poster presentation at conferences may or may not be included in the proceedings of the conference.

One can include posters as a part of research in medical school application.

UAB and Univ. South Alabama are separate programs.

@snsh17

If one claims some research as his/her work, one should be prepared to discuss it in depth at the interview. It can easily be concluded whether it was his/her work or not.

@GeorgiaCollegeKid

Congratulations on UAB BS/MD. It is a good program and cost less since UAB gives good aid for UG at least.

But I have not noticed any posts from folks who got admitted in the last 4-5 years, would appreciate if you could shed some light on UAB BS/MD so that it will help others.

Know for sure it is open for any students, though it is also very few seats it may give a feel for IS per se but not true. Also it gives an impression that research is a key factor.

What ever you know and your perspective about UAB will benefit.

@GoldenRock Thank you! Itā€™s a great program and Iā€™m really excited to be a part of it.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t really reveal alot of information about the program to the public, because I donā€™t want to be identified on here. They have a EMSAP ā€œbioā€ available to the public, and I donā€™t want to take any chances. Sorry. However, I can offer personal advice via private DMs.

EMSAP is definitely open to everyone around the nation. They do have a bit of an in-state preference, but there are a couple of kids in the program from California and other states. Donā€™t feel discouraged to apply to the program.

Once you submit your application (deadline December 1st), you will receive an email from UAB in early January. You will need to go to UAB for a two-day interview. The first day is more of a open table discussion with professors and alumni of UAB. The second day has MMIs and traditional one-on-one interviews. If you get accepted/alternated, the supervisor will call your cell phone sometime in February.

Please DM me with any questions!

Happy Motherā€™s Day to All Moms on this forum.

Folks

Today is May 10. Hopefully folks have made your decision.
Please share your stats+perspectives on the Results Thread. As you have benefited from such information, this will help future students.

Here is the link:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020-p1.html