***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@GeorgiaCollegeKid - Congratulations on UAB BS/MD. Wish you the best for your future.

@Proudgirl ā€“ Thanks for posting your stats and for your suggestion to all the current/future BSMD aspirants to keep a positive mind and attitude. This is not only important for BSMD admissions but for life.

Congratulations on your acceptance to UIC GPPA 8yr BS/MD. Wish you the very best for your future.

@Novicedad, Grtd2010, rk2017, Goldenrock, Srk2017 and Vicky
Appreciate your responses very much. Waiting too make the final decision (EO next week) once we talk to few premed students at both universities.

@GeorgiaCollegeKid - Congrats for your selection at UAB BS/MD.
Can you please share your stats? Any 1-2 specific things that you can point out that you think helped you secure the spot? Thank you.

@GeorgiaCollegeKid - Your handle suggests that you are from GA. Did you apply to Augusta BS/MD as well? Any comparison that you can draw between Augusta and UAB? Thanks.

Hi,

Anyone here got admitted to FAU BS/MD for this cycle (Fall 2020). Can you please share your stat, experience and insights into it?

Thank you.

@rk1235rk

@JBourne5 's C is in the program I believe and shared some valuable information on this thread in the past. I suggest you search the thread with his/her name handle or key words like FAU. If further information is needed you can private message him/her. Also some one else just posted within last week or so about choosing FAU. If you have missed it, go back to reading last 10 days of messages and donā€™t hesitate to private message. I am sure the friendly and helpful people here wonā€™t mind, I myself get many and answer them all sooner or later (you should be able to after crossing posting 15 messages on college confidential).

@rk1235rk I got admitted to FAU for fall 2020! I ultimately chose not to attend, but from what Iā€™ve heard the program is pretty competitive to get into (12/300~). If you are a National Merit Finalist you are pretty much close to guaranteed acceptance, as they give you the first interview date. Program is non-binding, but from what Iā€™ve heard they are bumping mcat requirement to 512, and GPA requirement is around 3.7. I personally decided against FAU because of the high requirements but itā€™s still a good program to consider, and Boca Raton is an amazing place. Also, keep in mind that even though undergrad is free for NMFs, you have to pay OUT OF STATE tuition for the medical school, which is a LOT of money (90k a year cost of attendance). If you donā€™t mind a lot of the drawbacks to this program (high med school cost, high requirements to meet, low med ranking) then Iā€™d say go for it, itā€™s a solid program and the staff really care about the students. Plus youā€™ll have plenty of opportunities at FAU, and the school looks really fun!

@rk2017 @PathophysiologyFTW - Thank you for providing me details on FAU.
I guess in $90k Out of State for Medical School cost, you are considering full cost (tuition, living costs etc) as what I see - their tuition is around $62k/year. I also read some where that it is a 7/8 year program (you can choose). Can you clarify this if you have information on it? Also, I heard that you can work for 1 year in FL to be considered as FL resident (in-state tuition) and some students choose to go for 8 year program to take advantage of in-state tuition (complete undergraduate in 3 years - with AP credits etc - work for 1 year - and then 4 years for medical school). Any information on this topic?
Thank you.

Univ of CA system to be online for Fall 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-12/coronavirus-reopening-csu-fall-online-classes%3f_amp=true

@NoviceDad The news is for California State University (CSU) which has announced most classes will be online for Fall 2020, the UC System seems to be still on the fence.

@biomeds
You are right - UC Systems are still working through 3 scnearios - complete online/remote; partial in-person and complete in-person.

Rensselaer sent out this email today:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as an undergraduate in the fall of 2021 or the spring of 2022 will be able to choose whether or not to submit SAT or ACT scores. Students applying to the Physician-Scientist Program (in conjunction with Albany Medical College) will be required to submit the appropriate testing.

So test optional for the undergrad but not their BSMD

So basically if we want to apply, we have to have the SAT/ACT and 2 SAT subject tests done. I was scheduled to take the subject tests in May, but I couldnā€™t because of COVID-19. Do you think weā€™d be able to take all those exams by November 1??

College Board is working to conduct online SAT tests.

ā€œ In the unlikely event that schools do not reopen this fall, College Board will provide a digital SAT for home use, like how weā€™re delivering digital exams to 3 million AP students this spring. As weā€™re doing with at-home Advanced Placement exams, we would ensure that at-home SAT testing is simple, secure and fair, accessible to all, and valid for use in college admissions.ā€

https://pages.collegeboard.org/sat-covid-19-updates

College Board taking online AP tests has been such a disaster and disappointing experience. My DD could not submit responses to 2 out of 4 AP tests she took this past week because of technical issues on college board side. Donā€™t know how they are thinking they will make SAT online? Now DD has to retake those 2 APs in June. Donā€™t know what will happen if students face similar technical issues again during retakes?

@9the0girl7

We did a mock schedule** for my son like this:

SAT II Subject Tests (if still needed)
Take Math II and Chemistry- October

SAT
August 29, 2020
Retake Sept if can- school day test in Sept

He is also going to retake just the Math and Science portions of the ACT in Sept

**of course this plan can easily be shot to hell with all the uncertainty and future feasibility of access. CB isnā€™t offering subject tests in Sept and I wanted him to have enough time to access a second round of sat testing if he needs it. Our school will also be offering an in school SAT to make up for the one missed in March. This truncated timeline really messed up the plans.

@rk1235rk

I am so sorry for your daughter. I had two students call me sobbing hysterically because their tests didnā€™t upload. All that work and to redo- just sucks!

My issue has been CB acts as if there is an acceptable error margin. Which is fine if you arenā€™t in it but for the kids who are, itā€™s just a magnification of the stress and worry they already have then compounded with repeated efforts

Hi,

Can someone (Senior members etc.) shed some light on what happens when a student enters a 8 year BS/MD but finishes his/her BS studies in less that 4 years (because of credits from AP courses)? Looking at the stats of students (most of who have more than 10-12 APs), this situation would be coming to lot of students. Do some 8 year programs allow students to enter medical school earlier than 4 years? If there are some programs like that, can you please point them out?

@rk1235rk There are many programs. Others will chime in. For sure I know OU (University of Oklahoma) allows.