***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

From reading this thread, it looks like it’s very lengthly and challenging BS/MD process. We are still waiting for SAT score before deciding whether my D should consider BS/MD or take the traditional route . My D is still a junior , so she still has time to retake SAT, take SAT and sign up for ED.

Thank you all for the helpful info in this thread and good luck to all with the BS/MD path.

It is interesting that Brown takes without medical school interview

Other programs like NU Upitt BU have medical school interview

so can I say research is not a factor which is required on EC for brown ???

Anyone received AMC Interview from Union yet ? Deadline for submitting supplemental was Dec 10th and Interview dates are in early January. One of the previous posts says they are declining in about 2-4 days after supplemental, we haven’t heard either ways yet.

Just wonder how “total waste” would be for applying to Brown PLME. Brown and NW have Jan deadlines. Would Brown at least save 10-15 spots for ORM? Most med school has 20% ORM anyway. NW HPME is next to impossible , but too attractive to give up.

@orm2020

But if you don’t apply, it is certainly impossible.

@orm2022

OU MHSP is a 2 step process.

1. Apply and need to get admission first for OU UG.
  2. After admission, you will get OU login credentials to apply for Honors College. You need to apply for admission to Honors College. In that app, there is an option to indicate you are interested in MHSP. MHSP is a program in Honors College along with Medical College.

Their web site very clearly details the rules and process to follow.
http://www.ou.edu/honors/specialprograms/MedHumanitiesScholarship

You must apply ASAP (by this weekend) to take care of UG app. At the worst case, reach out to them if you have not got admission by Jan 10th and explore if anything they can accommodate and how to consider yourself for MHSP application.

The theory applies to every single BSMD program :slight_smile: Just realize the truth today.

Getting acceptance into any is a huge blessing…

Can someone help explain what is ORM mean ? I found the two definitions: “over-represented minority” or over-represented in medicine" . Question is it for all Asian groups ? or just subset of the group?

@ttb1263 primarily used for Indian/Chinese groups.

Has anybody gotten a response from TCNJ 7 year?

@theman2567 No news from TCNJ yet.

I expect the number of slots for ORMs in the program would be mid to low single digits. Anyone with direct knowledge of the last batch stats can shed more light on that and I will be thrilled to stand corrected.

@orm2020

I agree there is lot of work on the supplement application and looking at stats it is discouraging for the fact that if effort will payoff… as acceptance rate in some of these programs is even less than Ivy’s

@mi2019

BS/MD programs applications is as frenzy as top 5 CS schools and everyone knows there is simple economics rule supply vs demand.

@PPofEngrDr

I agree

effort of submitting vs results

Only issue is extra supplemental application requested by medical school layer Is lot of work especially for programs like NU and Upitt as compared to traditional Undergraduate application and interview with Med school for other BS MD programs

my point is even after putting in effort and submitting you are not sure whether you will even be selected for interview and it does not stop there … then even if you are selected for interview like HPME NU invites 120 and selects only 20

@rk2017 @GoldenRock Thank you for the information. I did not apply to Brown PLME or NU HPME. I will see if I can finish the applications to OU and FAU.

prudent to consider all BS MD programs with backups Kidnshould not be Blind sighted by the Top ones.

Last year we know a kid from D/S high school who only applied to T30 Medschool BS MD programs and did not make it to any with excellent EC and scores. All effort gone waste.

still trying to understand what is the worth to even apply to programs like WAshu where u have 5 seats and may be 3 for ORM’s and the funny part is that in the program you have to maintain high Gpa and MCAT

WashU is an exception. But may suit those whose personality is to be on their toes all the time. Many of the candidates here who make it to BS/BA/MD, and even others, are capable of getting a 95+% ile in MCAT with some sincere efforts. The question is about 3.8 gpa for WashU.

Many of these programs have relatively easy requirement compared to traditional route applicants to their med schools. The gpa requirement can be any where between 0.1 to 0.35 lower and the MCAT between 6 to 10 points or up to 15 to 20 percentile points lower for the BS/MD program students compared to their traditional route ones.
And most of them give more than one attempt at MCAT if required. And some don’t have the requirement at all. Only gpa maintenance.

@rk2017

I am not trying to discount that work required to get in Good medical school using Traditional Route is less work in fact it is worse and Stats required are even higher as compared to BS MD. Also have seen kids from Ivies not making to Medical schools .

Agree if medicine is the end goal then BS MD is the way to go.

It is impossible to apply to all the BS MD programs. Over all point is the time and effort… if you have time to apply to 10’prgrams where you will apply ???

@mi2019
It is too late in the game for this batch of applicants to decide where to apply. For future students and parents I had put together some of my thoughts in yesterday post number 1241, which in turn refers to yet another older post. :slight_smile:

And yes there have been students on this forum over the past 3-4 years with stellar records who went all out in pursuit of BS/MD alone leaving Ivies and other fancy brand names for traditional undergrad. That way they wanted to avoid expending their time and efforts writing all those creative writing types of essays for the fancy schools and only focus on this route. They were willing to attend a local public university if it hadn’t worked out in this path (quite a possibility) and applied for around 20 programs. Most of them were successful in getting into one or more of these programs.